shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on this 3.02 Oval

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock

I am in the market for a 3+ ct oval to propose, and I found this EGL-USA certified rock that seems to be a decent one (photo and cert attached.) Cut is AGA 3A.

My questions are:
1) How something like this usually cost?
2) Dosent it look a bit too tinted for a G from the photo (I know it is hard to tell from a photo, but that is all I have now)?

By the way, I also attached a photo of the setting she picked. Would love your opinions!

5112121231155.JPG

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Well, as I found your oval and it''s going for 13.1k, and the cheapest GIA oval of the same color, clarity, and size starts at 25.3k- I''m going to guess that yes, your stone is grossly over graded.

DrJuju

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 3:55:06 PM
Author:provinggrounds

I am in the market for a 3+ ct oval to propose, and I found this EGL-USA certified rock that seems to be a decent one (photo and cert attached.) Cut is AGA 3A.

My questions are:

1) How something like this usually cost?

2) Dosent it look a bit too tinted for a G from the photo (I know it is hard to tell from a photo, but that is all I have now)?

By the way, I also attached a photo of the setting she picked. Would love your opinions!

Hi there,
Let me just start off by saying that I have a 3.01 carat Oval in my engagement ring and I absolutely LOVE it! I agree with elle that it sounds as if your stone is over graded--however it is sort of known that EGL has a tendency to over grade their stones (I previously owned a 2.0 carat Princess cut stone graded by them). That being said, I think (particularly with ovals...and the variation in brilliance, possible bowtie effect, etc) it really depends on the person wearing the ring and the way it shows in person. If the stone looks beautiful, then it is a fabulous deal...it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are a stickler about accuracy of grading and quality, you may want to consider a GIA graded stone.

BTW, that setting is absolutely stunning.

Good Luck and Congrats!!

IMG_1222-Copy2.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hard to judge from the photo, I would make the sale final on the stone checking out to your satisfaction with an independant appraisal, here is the appraiser tool.

Also ask the vendor how much of a bow tie the diamond shows, this is literally a bow tie shaped area running across the centre of the diamond, some show more than others and it comes down to the preference of the buyer as to how much of a bow tie is acceptable.

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock
I have a better photo (attached) showing much more details. I do see some bowtie effect and the imperfections can also be seen from the photo. What do you recommend guys?

30212231231433.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
To be honest.... it doesn''t look like a nice stone. At least not in the pic.
7.gif
I''d pass.

But if you''re going for the most bang for the buck, (and by that i mean the biggest rock, for least amount of money), it may work?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 4:37:23 PM
Author: provinggrounds
I have a better photo (attached) showing much more details. I do see some bowtie effect and the imperfections can also be seen from the photo. What do you recommend guys?
HI:

......moving on, unless you have your heart set on it. With fancies, they often need to be seen IRL to acertain preference for shape, etc; barring that working with one reputable vendor who (online or B & M) could cherry pick stones for you to decide.

cheers--Sharon

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the honest feedback... I am on a budget to be honest and I want a 3+ ct diamond. This is a good "rock for the buck" for me, but I would like to hear 1) what makes this diamond bad based on the info and photos provided, and 2) for about 4200 dollars a ct, isn''t this a decent find?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
based on the info and photo provided a few things. 1. It's not the color and clarity grade it claims to be. 2. It doesn't look like a pretty stone. You can see the inclusions way too easily and there's something about the facet structure i'm not liking.

That said, if you're looking for a 3ct stone on a budget, it might fit the bill. But you have to understand, you're not going to get a killer G, SI1, 3ct oval for 13k. There are reasons why it's priced so cheap. But I'm sure you know that.
It it a decent find? Define decent. It depends on your priorities. If the most important thing is size, then I don't see how you can do better for a 3ct at under 13k. That doesn't mean it's good, it just means that these are the kinds of stones available for this price point.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 6:43:19 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback... I am on a budget to be honest and I want a 3+ ct diamond. This is a good ''rock for the buck'' for me, but I would like to hear 1) what makes this diamond bad based on the info and photos provided, and 2) for about 4200 dollars a ct, isn''t this a decent find?
HI:

I am sensible to your generous budget; but by the same token, this is a signfiicant purchase and as such you really do not want her looking down at her ring wondering why this stone might have been a bargain. ElleChris intimated that the USA/EGL cert mgiht not be accurate in clarity and color grading--you can search numerous threads regardign the same on this forum--and therefore you might not be getting what you think you are altho the price seems right.

That said, have you seen this stone IRL? What did you think?

Let me see what I can find on the databases.

cheeres--Sharon

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry but that stone just does not seem worth it for 13K....size be damned, it doesn''t look like it has any life to it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 6:43:19 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback... I am on a budget to be honest and I want a 3+ ct diamond. This is a good 'rock for the buck' for me, but I would like to hear 1) what makes this diamond bad based on the info and photos provided, and 2) for about 4200 dollars a ct, isn't this a decent find?
HI:

Found one well, "close" to your budget. GIA certed but would want to know the grade making S12 inclusions:

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=456H7H65&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE

cheers--Sharon

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the follow-up. I really wish I can dedicate more to this purchase, but I have too much tied up in real estate and I do not want to wait any longer before I officially propose...

I am yet to see the stone IRL, I wanted to hear your feedback before I wire funds. I am covered by a month-long refund policy, but I do not want to waste the seller''s time and mine if I knew that the stone will not be worth it. On the other hand, I know that I cannot make an informed decision without the diamond and a loupe in my hand.

Another question, EGL seems to have an "appraisal" option. How inflated is that figure usually?

I would really love to have a cutter from this forum give me a thumbs up or down given all the details provided.

Thanks you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There aren''t really any cutters hanging around to give a thumbs up or down around these parts. I can assure you that the people who have given their opinions thus far *really* know what they are talking about when it comes to diamonds, though. I''m sorry they are not telling you what you would like to head
15.gif

You have a very good budget, and I know you want a 3ct, but if it is a poorly cut 3ct it will not look good! What is the point of a large lifeless diamond with a dead part in the middle and reallty visible inclusions? This particular diamond may be ok in person, maybe it will catch your heart and the heart of your intended, but I think the probability if greater that it will be a disappointment. Cut is what makes a diamond sparkle and shine and do all those things we love about diamonds. And the cut on that diamond doesn''t look so hot to me.

Diamonds are priced according to what they are worth, there are few real deals out there. I would suggest going for a smaller ct. diamond.

Of course, its up to you! Everyone has their own priorities and preferences.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don't think it looks great. The bow tie is extensive, the diamond looks dull and included and it looks as if it won't do much in the way of sparkle from the photo. It might just be the angle the stone is being held in the tweezers but it looks lopsided to me too.

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the feedback! Please do not get me wrong, I am not disappointed at all. I am just trying to learn more (it is amazing how much I learned so far from reading the forums and articles on this site).

I am mainly surprised how different the diamond looks from photos compared to the cert (I know that EGL is usually off by a little, but I also know that EGL USA isn''t very terrible and usually off by a grade or so). Also, the cut does not seem that bad based on numbers (3A is more than what you would expect for that kind of money - I also attached a screen grab from the certificate to this message).

I guess that I should decide if taking a chance and buying is a good idea hoping that photos did not give it justice (extreme close-ups usually do not), or just keep searching?!

302_sym.JPG

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own an oval (1/3 the size of yours) and to me that stone is not a good choice. I know you're under a time constraint, but I'd move on to something else. Ovals tend to sparkle with pin pricks of light rather than shoot fire like RB stones and yours is doing nothing sparkle-wise. I'm also concerned by the very visible inclusions and the bow tie. I would not want to gift my FI with a stone she's going to stare at and see flaws with. I'm not saying go for an IF stone, I think the clarity grade you've chosen is fine, but not for this stone. EGL is famous for being off by 2 or more grades. Your EGL SI 1 looks to be more like a I1 or I2 to my untrained eye. I'd also question the color grading.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 9:33:29 AM
I really appreciate the feedback! Please do not get me wrong, I am not disappointed at all. I am just trying to learn more (it is amazing how much I learned so far from reading the forums and articles on this site).

I am mainly surprised how different the diamond looks from photos compared to the cert (I know that EGL is usually off by a little, but I also know that EGL USA isn't very terrible and usually off by a grade or so). Also, the cut does not seem that bad based on numbers (3A is more than what you would expect for that kind of money - I also attached a screen grab from the certificate to this message).

I guess that I should decide if taking a chance and buying is a good idea hoping that photos did not give it justice (extreme close-ups usually do not), or just keep searching?!
HI:

Keep reading!
9.gif
34.gif

You are correct in that EGL USA has the best reputation of the EGL labs for "accurate" grading; that said, tolerance for being off "a grade or two" is only something you can personally decide to what degree you can endure.

I think the photo's were likely rather accurate--greatly magnified, etc.--it is difficult to hide anything.

Any chance you might consider starting out with a more plain setting--thus saving $ to put toward the diamond--and promising to change it when you can manage it financially; say for the first anniversary?

Any chance you might consider going to a GIA graded J color in order to save $--but working with one vendor recommended here to try and find something they have picked? Not everything is listed on databases we members have access to. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Then again, from your posts sounds liike you've already made up your mind. Let us know how it turns out.
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Before forking over the $ for a big purchase, I usually ask myself what else I can get for the $. It could be a 2 carat star performer that blows this 3 ct out of the water...? I find this exercise useful to give a sense of perspective as sometimes we are just so caught up with ''size'' or ''clarity'' issues.

provinggrounds

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, it has to be 3+ carats - I wish I had more control over that but I simply do not (long story).
I have a jeweler overseas making the setting for me, it will cost around $800 and it is in the budget.
I was thinking more of an H as a bottom - she did see a couple of J''s and she doesn''t like the tint.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 10:21:05 AM
Unfortunately, it has to be 3+ carats - I wish I had more control over that but I simply do not (long story).
I have a jeweler overseas making the setting for me, it will cost around $800 and it is in the budget.
I was thinking more of an H as a bottom - she did see a couple of J's and she doesn't like the tint.
Why does it have to be 3 plus carats? Is your GF so set on that size that she would rather have something that doesn't sparkle much and or is visibly included? Unfortunately for the budget you aren't going to get anything great with that, a decent 3 carat stone is going to cost 3 or 4 times that amount at a minimum....If you are determined that it has to be that size then a great deal of compromise will have to be made, especially as she won't consider a lower colour either. Sorry to not sound more positive but it is going to be difficult with these constraints....

This oval isn't of top cut quality but it is a nice stone that Whiteflash have in stock. It is around 2.5 carats and a bit more expensive than your budget but I thought I would mention it,

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-1222201.htm#

There is also this one, you would need to ask if it is eyeclean which it might not be in this size being an I1 in clarity and also request an ASET image from James Allen if interested, it might be a decent oval.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-I1-Premium-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1102757.asp

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 10:21:05 AM
I was thinking more of an H as a bottom - she did see a couple of J''s and she doesn''t like the tint.
I feel for you, man. But it seems she''s in need of a reality check. So she doesn''t like the tint in a J, but will she like eye-visible inclusions and a less than sparkly 3 carat? I doubt it. Unless you can pony up more funds, it looks like you''re in a predicament. Here''s a suggestion, have her check out the SMTR thread and see if she might change her mind about a 3 carat... Just hope she doesn''t change her ''requirements'' to a 4-5 carat... But once she is better informed, she might focus on cut instead of carat.
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results