shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Decide on an Engagement Ring

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie as you can see at the amount of my posts but I'm going to propose soon and I'm looking for some advice on how I can get the best engagement ring for our budget. My budget right now is about $3500-$4000 not including tax but includes the setting.

I prefer to have a nice diamond with a solitaire setting but she prefers diamonds along the side and a small diamond in the middle.

She would also like to have the middle diamond not to stick out but recessed in as she likes it that way.

I can pretty much buy from any online retailer as long as I can get a deal since in Canada there aren't much choices and I would rather buy online and get a better product. I've looked at Bluenile, WhiteFlash and James Allen.

Here are my specs that I'm looking at:

Shape: Princess
Cut: Best cut I can get as I find it very important.
Colour: G (maybe I can go down a notch here but I want it to be colourless to the naked eye.)
Clarity: As long as it's not noticable to the naked eye ... so VS2 or VS1 is fine.
Carat: Anywhere between 0.7 - 1.0 (I want to maximize the bang for the buck and I rather have something that's beautiful and a little smaller then something that's big and not as sparkly.)

Thank you for your advice in advance and hopefully some experts here can help me.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of metal?

Can you post something of the setting she likes? From the sound of it, that setting could eat up to half your budget.

For the size you can get from your budget, a G/H even I will appear colorless to most people. Have you seen where your tolerance are with accurately graded, well cut stones, for example by GIA/AGS? Stones graded by other labs can be off significantly.

Clarity, you are over-estimating your eye-sight. Unless you are Superman, you are unlikely to see anything even with a loupe for a VS1 stone. VS2, maybe, but very unlikely. Most SI1 are eye-clean too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
What kind of metal?

Can you post something of the setting she likes? From the sound of it, that setting could eat up to half your budget.

For the size you can get from your budget, a G/H even I will appear colorless to most people. Have you seen where your tolerance are with accurately graded, well cut stones, for example by GIA/AGS? Stones graded by other labs can be off significantly.

Clarity, you are over-estimating your eye-sight. Unless you are Superman, you are unlikely to see anything even with a loupe for a VS1 stone. VS2, maybe, but very unlikely. Most SI1 are eye-clean too.

Ditto Stone's questions and comments.

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
What kind of metal?

I'm looking at white gold since it's cheaper and she doesn't mind either one.

Here are two that she likes.

http://www.bluenile.ca/build-your-own-d ... STYLE_STEP

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-ri ... 8-3779.asp

Oh ok. Well this is my first time so I don't know much. Does anyone have any recommendations on the diamond.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the James Allen setting because it will allow a flush fit wedding band, and JA is a very reputable vendor so buying form them makes sense. Leaves about $2600 for the diamond. Stone is a good princess hunter, maybe he will come back with suggestions.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Stone-cold11 said:

Nice diamond, not sure the head of the setting is similar enough to the other examples, which have low basket style settings. If the GF likes the low basket she won't like a high six prong, in my opinion.

Yeah she said that she definitely likes the low basket and she likes also princess diamonds around the band too :twirl:

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Ok, I've been showing her a few rings and now shes open on not only getting princess but she likes round, especially hearts and arrows.

Anyone have a recommendations? I haven't gotten a change to research rounds because I spent most of my time with princess.

Now that she likes multiples, I can at least have some choices to get the best diamond for the money.

She still likes to have princess diamonds on the sides though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rounds opens a lot of doors for you. But the setting is the dilemma because it could be very pricey and would therefore determine your budget for the diamond.

When you say she likes H&A, do you mean she likes it specifically for knowing it is a precision cut, or do you mean she likes a really well cut stone that shows arrows? You can find the latter without the former and save a lot of money.

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
I know definitely gives me more options.

She likes the latter but I like the former lol but I guess I can ease off a little for the budget.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not liking that, a little too dark under the table in that image.

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Oh Ok thanks Stone-cold11

And that's why I love the prcescope community nice and straight forward. I'll be looking at some more.

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Sorry if this is a basic question but what is considered eye clean?

I can see little specks on the top left corner and in the middle right I see some specks too and this is without the loupe.

Wouldn't that be considered not eye clean? Or is that picture with zoom?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course the picture is zoom. :razz:

That stone only measures 6mm in diameter, how large is it on your screen?

EDT:
Anyway, do not judge the eye-cleanliness of the stone by the image. Some lighting conditions makes one type of inclusions more visible in certain location while in not so for other inclusions and any combination in between. :p

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
lol I guess I was thinking. It's the day after a long weekend :lol:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks nice if eye-clean and ask if the strong blue fluor has an over blue effect.

Looks like a trade in stone though with the older report. Ask what if that is the case, any wear and tear from the previous owner. Should not be or it will be repaired and send for a new report but no harm asking.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff146 said:
Stone-cold11,

What do you think about this one?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2268/

Someone from GoodOldGold recommended it to me.

I think this is a stone you need to see in person before you finalize things. Hmmm just read you are in Canada... I personally would not mess around with the cross border thing on this one, myelf, since I do not value D color and I like better clarity. But your opinions may vary! Seems like an extreme compromise on clarity for color when you wanted a G color to begin with...

I just looked through GOG's available diamonds and they don't have much in your price range in the size you want, which is most likely why this one was suggested.

I like these ones for you much better:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104046146013
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2347510.htm

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
I agree Dreamer_D.. That stone is too much a risk and yes I'm from Canada and I don't want to have to send it back and forth.

I've been searching and searching and there are much more choices for a round diamond then a princess cut one.

I would really like a round one but I don't really think it would fit this setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ ... ct_id=5500

What do you guys think?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff146 said:
I agree Dreamer_D.. That stone is too much a risk and yes I'm from Canada and I don't want to have to send it back and forth.

I've been searching and searching and there are much more choices for a round diamond then a princess cut one.

I would really like a round one but I don't really think it would fit this setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ ... ct_id=5500

What do you guys think?

Yes, it would absolutely fit that ring. That head can be designed to hold any shape I think. I had that head with an RB in a past incarnation of my ring. I think it would look awesome!

Jeff146

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
Ya, thus the question mark.

This JA stone looks promising, with a v-thick girdle. Request for ASET image if you are interested.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1264028.asp

I just got the ASET image and I'm not sure if it looks good or not.

Here is what they said about the diamond:

"I had the diamond inspected by our graduate gemologist to determine its performance in person. She was not as enthusiastic about this diamond as she was the other. While the diamond is eye-clean, it is a low H color and faces up yellow. My gemologist recommends 1323536 over this diamond, it is the clear winner."

1264028.jpg

Here is the other one he was talking about:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1323536.asp

1323536.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prefer the cut of the H.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are good. Thin-Slightly thick is the preferred girdle variation.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I like both of the Brian Gavin Setting the BEST. If you chose a round center choose the round setting, and if a princess center then the princess setting.

:naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results