shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide! I'm drowning in options!

upgrade333

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I am planning to upgrade/replace my e-ring which was stolen. I am having the hardest time deciding exactly what I want! A little background- I have large fingers (10.25) so I know bigger is better stone wise for me. I like a lot of bling, but don't want to cross the line into garish, if you know what I mean. My wedding band, that I would wear with the new e-ring is a pave set .75 ct semi eternity band. I am trying to decide between several styles. First I need to decide a) If I want a three stone, five stone or solitaire and b) how big I can go on the center stone without crossing that line into garish and c) what kind of setting I want. In respect to issue "a," I have had two e-rings so far in my life, both 3 stone. The first was from an engagement that didn't work out. It was a yellow gold band with a white gold head. It was ok, but didn't really set me on fire, if you know what I mean. My second was a center diamond with side sapphires, I believe the center diamond was .25 carat. It also had 6 "surprise diamonds" in the setting. I loved it so much. Now that I am searching for a new ring, part of me still leans heavily toward the 3 stones. I have also seen a 5 stone that struck my fancy, with a very very plain prong setting, but the stones do all the work. I want something pretty spectacular but not gaudy. Maybe that is it, idk. The reason I am also considering a solitaire is that all of the women in my family have solitaires. My grandmother's ring was a solitaire, my mother's was, my stepmother's is, same with MIL and SIL. None of them have fancy settings or sidestones. The only exception is my deceased paternal grandmother who had a beautiful estate ring with an emerald center stone with side diamonds. I have it, but doubt I can have it sized up to fit me without ruining it, which is a shame. I feel like a solitaire would "fit in" more with the rest of the women in the family. If I go that route I am looking at something with a fancier setting (my family members all have really plain settings for theirs). Probably pave side stones, maybe some milgrain details, maybe a trellis or cathedral setting. I love the trellis settings and have seen some three stone rings that have this as well. Will probably go that route no matter what I get.

So my questions are: How big can I go with the center stone without looking garish? For a three/five stone, I would probably need a smaller center stone to achieve this than with a solitaire, right? All of the center stones I am considering are between 1 and 1.5 ct. I have found a couple of 2's I would consider, but then I really worry that I would be going overboard. Also, should I go with tradition and get a solitaire, or should I follow my heart and go for a ring with multiple stones? I feel like a solitaire with side stones would kind of be a compromise in this area, and would give me more bling but still with that traditional look. As I said, I want a good bit of bling and sparkle on my finger but I don't want to overdo it, and my fingers are large. I am so sorry that this is so long. I just wanted to include as much information as possible. Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated, thank so much.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry your ring was stolen. I would follow your heart on this decision. Definitely get what you want and like in your fingers. Have you gone to a jewelry store to see what you think of different styles?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're liking the grandmother's ring, why not have those stones reset into a setting that would fit you? Sentimental and blingy!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your finger size a 2ct would not look over the top.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results