shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide between these 2 diamonds please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Serenity

Rough_Rock
First of all, I''ve been lurking around these forums for the last few weeks, and I have to say that the amount of diamond knowledge here is amazing. You guys have really answered a lot of my questions through your dialogue and posts.

Anyways, I''m trying to decide between these two diamonds. Both are HRD certified.

1.09 Round
SI1
D color
6.54 - 6.62mm x 4.09mm
proportions: very good
girdle: medium 3.5%
cutlet: pointed
table: 56%
crown: 15.5%
pav: 43.0%
finish: very good
flourescence: slight

and:

1.05 Round
VS2
D color
6.59 - 6.62mm x 3.98mm
proportions: very good
girdle: medium 3%
cutlet: pointed
table: 56%
crown: 14.5%
pav: 42.5%
fnish: very good
flourescence: nil

I plotted both in the HCA. the 1.05 comes up as a 0.8 while the 1.09 is a 1.5

However, the 1.05 has an excellent spread and very good light return. The 1.09 is vice versa: very good spread and excellent light return. Both diamonds have excellent fire & scintillation. However, the 1.09 falls within the white box area of the HCA while the 1.05 is more to the left.

I just can''t decide between the two. I looked both of them head to head and they''re very similar. Thoughts?

thanks,
Dan

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats the depth??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the numbers on the 1.09 better.
Have you viewed them in a wide rangle of lighting conditions and distances?

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
cost difference?

Serenity

Rough_Rock
hi,

the cost difference is about $1000 (more for the VS2)

I've looked at them next to each other but it's hard to say if one sparkles more than the other. The 1.09 "appears" to be a tad more clear but it just might be my imagination.

as for the total depth, I'm assuming that it's the sum of the crown height, pav. depth and the girdle? that means that the 1.05 has a total depth of 60% while the 1.09 is 62%

Dan
btw, the SI1 has small black carbon speck inclusions - I can't see them from the top down but if I look at the diamond from the side (and we're talking about right up close to my eye), I can see them. As for the VS2, it's a lot harder to see anything from the sides. I have to say that I was surprised because I thought I wouldn't be able to see any inclusions just with my eyes in a VS2 or SI1. Then again, I am looking at it very very close.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
up close the 1.05 might appear a little darker is that what you were seeing vs a color difference?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
from the information that you have provided, i like the 1.09 better. i kinda like the idea of a small inclusion that you can see from the side (when you look really close) that way you will always know your diamond.
2.gif

Serenity

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 8:45:55 PM
Author: strmrdr
up close the 1.05 might appear a little darker is that what you were seeing vs a color difference?
Yes, to me, it seems like the 1.05 is a bit darker. It's really subjective of course, but that's just the way it looks to me. But they're both D color, so I guess it's the cut that is giving that effect? And there's also the question of how it will look once it is set on a ring. Mind you, they look the same from the top down. When I say that the 1.09 is a bit clearer, it's more from the side view.

And I don't know if the slight flourescence has anything to do with this as well, since they're both D color diamonds.

Serenity

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 8:48:31 PM
Author: belle
from the information that you have provided, i like the 1.09 better. i kinda like the idea of a small inclusion that you can see from the side (when you look really close) that way you will always know your diamond.
2.gif

I was thinking the same thing - the only thing is, it''s pretty noticeable from close up. Granted, once the ring is set, it might be a moot point because some or all of the prongs might cover it. But it sort of irks me a little that when you pay this much for a diamond, you can still see inclusions. But you''re right, at least I''ll know if anybody switches it on me
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 8:57:49 PM
Author: Serenity
Date: 12/5/2005 8:45:55 PM

Author: strmrdr

Yes, to me, it seems like the 1.05 is a bit darker. It's really subjective of course, but that's just the way it looks to me. But they're both D color, so I guess it's the cut that is giving that effect? And there's also the question of how it will look once it is set on a ring. Mind you, they look the same from the top down. When I say that the 1.09 is a bit clearer, it's more from the side view.

And I don't know if the slight flourescence has anything to do with this as well, since they're both D color diamonds.

yea its the cut.
It has too much of what is called head shadow up close.
it reflects too much of your head/face like a mirror instead of being sparky.
Some contrast is needed but too much head shadow makes the diamond look dark.
These diamonds are kewl for earrings and pendants where people dont get that close to em and if they did they have other things on their mind than diamonds but not the best for rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results