shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me Decide 1.39 G or 1.50 H

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstone

Rough_Rock
I'm torn between two different stones. I'm going with a round stone in a graduated pave band. I'd like a quality stone, but of course want a large one too.

I'm looking at a 1.39 G color vs a 1.50 H color. The 1.50 is $1000 more. I could afford the extra $1000, but it would really take me to the top of my budget.

The stones seem to be of similar quality, except for the color. I've been happy the G color, am wonder how much tint will really be in there with the H. I'm only concerned with up close naked eye inspection.

It seems like most in our social circle go for big rocks. I'd love to get my lady a 1.5, but I'd rather have the 1.39 if it will look better. I'm not going to spend the $1000 on a better quality 1.39.

Advice?

Stone 1: $8200
Carat weight: 1.39
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 61.9%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.11 x 7.15 x 4.41 mm
Crown Angle: 33.5deg
Pavilion Angle: 41.0deg

Stone 2: $9200
Carat weight: 1.50
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.1%
Table %: 58%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 7.27 x 7.29 x 4.52 mm
Crown Angle: 35.5deg
Pavilion Angle: 40.6deg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the crown and pavilion angles on the two stones? You can''t be sure they are really ideal cut without those specs.

If the angles were alll equal, I''d likely go with the 1.39 G because the 1.5 is a little deeper and has very little more diameter for the money. A well cut 1.5 can be around 7.4mm, and I wouldn''t settle for 7.27mm.

jstone

Rough_Rock
I added the crown and Pavilion angles, thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, the 1.39 stone is nice. Usually we''ll recommend 34-35 for the crown angle, but these measurements look like a good combination.

The other one is not quite as nicely cut.

You can see for yourself if you enter the numbers into the HCA cut quality tool. Your goal is to try to get stones that make the X fall within both boxes (for excellent or ideal cut).

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I''m not an "expert" persay, but I have done a lot to become diamond educated....

That said, I would go for stone 1 as well. The cut is better, and the 2nd stone will barely look bigger (probably not $1000 bigger!). As far as color, you won''t see a huge difference unless you are very color sensitive. But, better color is always considered to be desirable, so you would have that as well as a stone that "looks" like a 1.5 carat for $1000 less.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both looks good from the numbers. Any chance of getting an IS/ASET image?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only other factor to consider is the mental issue of getting 1.5 cts. even if it is not as big as some 1.5''s. If you think her close friends or sisters have 1.5 or above, she might rather have it for that reason. But I''d personally choose the 1.39 or look for a better 1.5. You''d likely have to go up in price to get a better cut 1.5 with a diameter of 7.4mm, though.

jstone

Rough_Rock
The only way I can get the larger stone is by making a drop in color

Here''s another stone I''m looking at

Stone 3: $9100
Carat weight: 1.52
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 61.7%
Table %: 57%
Girdle: Medium, faceted
Measurements: 7.34 x 7.40 x 4.55 mm
Crown angle: 35.5deg
Pavilion angle: 40.6deg

I''m concerned about going from a G to I color. Won''t the I tint be pretty noticeable? I really want her stone to stand out -- large and a lot of fire. This 1.52 is noticeably larger than the 1.39, but again the color has me worried. I don''t want the stone to look "cheap" or that I obviously made a sacrifice in color for the size. As bad as it sounds, going over the 1.5 barrier still means a lot.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers looks good.

Try dropping the clarity grade to SI1/2, and check with the vendor to make sure it is eye-clean.

jstone

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 2:41:50 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Numbers looks good.

Try dropping the clarity grade to SI1/2, and check with the vendor to make sure it is eye-clean.

I tried that, but anything with G/H color and SI1/2 that had good results on the diamond cut analysis tool was much, much more expensive. The only way I could keep it below my cap of $9300 and above 1.5 was to drop to I color.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 3:52:42 PM
Author: Ellen
I''m not loving the angles on the ones you''ve posted. How about this one? Need to ask if eyeclean. And if you want a really good upgrade policy, make sure you read over theirs. Looks like a nice diamond.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1223106.asp
Good one Miss!
emthup.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tanks!

jstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Unfortunately due to time constraints, I can only get a stone from bluenile since I already purchased one and sent it back. I''m in the middle of an exchange, and can pick another. There isn''t time to buy a loose stone from someone else and have it set. I''m giving the ring next week!

Are you unhappy with the 1.39 I showed? That is the one I still have held.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 4:56:17 PM
Author: jstone
Thanks! Unfortunately due to time constraints, I can only get a stone from bluenile since I already purchased one and sent it back. I'm in the middle of an exchange, and can pick another. There isn't time to buy a loose stone from someone else and have it set. I'm giving the ring next week!

I wouldn't say unhappy, but leary. The pavilion angle is at a crucial point, where it may be causing the diamond to leak light (depending on how tight or not, it is cut). BN doesn't give pics that would help, and evidently you don't have time to have an appraiser look at it.

So, it "could" be ok, but I can't say.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 5:14:41 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/7/2009 4:56:17 PM
Thanks! Unfortunately due to time constraints, I can only get a stone from bluenile since I already purchased one and sent it back. I''m in the middle of an exchange, and can pick another. There isn''t time to buy a loose stone from someone else and have it set. I''m giving the ring next week!

I wouldn''t say unhappy, but leary. The pavilion angle is at a crucial point, where it may be causing the diamond to leak light (depending on how tight or not, it is cut). BN doesn''t give pics that would help, and evidently you don''t have time to have an appraiser look at it.

So, it ''could'' be ok, but I can''t say.
Ditto

jstone

Rough_Rock
I went with the 1.39. I''ll use that for the proposal. I''ll have a bit of time afterward to swap stones if it isn''t what I wanted.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 5:23:27 PM
I went with the 1.39. I''ll use that for the proposal. I''ll have a bit of time afterward to swap stones if it isn''t what I wanted.
I think it will be beautiful! At least she''ll have the option of going to a larger I color if she decides size is more important to her than color! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results