shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me compare these two AGS stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

These are both AGS certified.  The second one is the Diamond Quality Document (has 000 grades) and the first one is the Diamond Quality Report, which is less detailed, and used on stones that generally would not score 000, but are still ideal (or near ideal) cut (I think).  

#1 scores a .5 on the HCA with all excellent in all 4 categories….

#2 scores (the 000 Ideal) scores a 2 with only VG in all 4 categories….

Can someone please help clarify this for me?

Thanks!

#1. 2.37 E SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-131784.htm#

#2.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00941028&filter_id=0

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not thrilled with either the first is a shallow/shallow and the second a steep deep if it was me id keep looking.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second is also an old system AGS0 and might not get AGS0 under the new system.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 3:00:51 AM
Author: strmrdr
The second is also an old system AGS0 and might not get AGS0 under the new system.
Thanks for the help....

Would you mind a looking a bit too so I don't keep posting others....
1.gif

2.25+ ct, SI1, D - F

$27k budget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 3:22:26 AM
Author: sna77
One more for you... 1.4 on the HCA...

2.28 D SI1

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00407776
Interesting diamond.
Misses AGS0 on finish so its a AGS1 which should be a price break with no effect on performance.
The table is larger than most AGS0''s its almost an old school 60/60
Some like that look and some like the smaller table look better.

Biggest question is if its eyeclean which you will need to find out if your going to consider it.
An IS image would be nice but last I heard BN dont offer them.

An option would be to see if one of the pricescope vendors that provides more info could call in the stone for an evaluation and IS image.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sna77, here is another personal opinion for you: there is nothing utterly wrong with any of these diamonds if the price is right. Although buying a diamond with Tolkowsky proportions (34.5° crown and 40.75° pavilion) is safe, you can still have a great diamond with slightly shallower or deeper crown and pavilion angles.

Some people like Storm don't like slightly shallower diamonds while other find them attractive. Take for example stone A used in this article (33° and 40.6°). Quite a few people at GIA symposium including GIA instructor preferred it to Tolkowsky stone (see e.g. this clip with Maarten DeWitte from Hearts on Fire).

I'm not saying you will prefer it. Just want you to keep your mind open. A few things good about diamonds #1

1. it is listed by different vendors i.e. you can haggle the price and work with a vendor of your choice. E.g. Abazias list it on Pricescope for $24,069 (bank wire).
2. It has good spread: 8.68-8.75 instead of 8.51 i.e. will look slightly larger than the same carat weight Tolkowsky cut stone
3. It has smaller table and same 14.9% crown height i.e. you'll see as much of the stone form the side when it is set as #2 and more than #3 (crown height 13.9%). (some people call it vertical spread and find it important too).

It is very easy to get scared by numbers
32.gif
- you shouldn't be
face1.gif
Elitist would recommend you to buy only certain type of proportions/symmetry/color/clarity/etc. while in the real live most people won't see any difference or might actually prefer slightly different proportions.

It's also about how you feel about it. If you don't mind paying an extra grand or two for the peace of mind and absolutely "perfect" numbers, then by all means go for it.
1.gif

I should upload more video clips of comparison on the server. What we saw is that people might also prefer different stones based not only on lighting environment but also clothes (dark or light) and viewing distance...
emotion-15.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone.... I've been looking at so many different certs that my head feels like its going to explode... My girlfriend's been giving me a hard time too because ive been locking myself in the office with the laptop for hours at a time... ;-)

And more videos would be great... ;-)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 8:23:32 AM
Author: sna77

Thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone.... I've been looking at so many different certs that my head feels like its going to explode... My girlfriend's been giving me a hard time too because ive been locking myself in the office with the laptop for hours at a time... ;-)

And more videos would be great... ;-)
There are not too many diamonds available in that carat range...

Here is another diamond comparison video clip. Thomas and Myriam Tashey from Professional Gem Sciences are looking at Tolkowski and slightly shallow diamonds.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi sna77!

What happened to all of the diamonds on your thread, Who wants to help me find a diamond?? Let me guess, after 3 pages of advice, when you got ready to purchase, the diamonds were sold?

Finding the perfect diamond isn''t easy. When you have a budget constraint, as most people do, it''s all about trade-offs. What happened to the one your brother-in-law (?) took you to see?

Good luck with the search.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 10:47:34 AM
Author: starryeyed
Hi sna77!

What happened to all of the diamonds on your thread, Who wants to help me find a diamond?? Let me guess, after 3 pages of advice, when you got ready to purchase, the diamonds were sold?

Finding the perfect diamond isn''t easy. When you have a budget constraint, as most people do, it''s all about trade-offs. What happened to the one your brother-in-law (?) took you to see?

Good luck with the search.

haha... you got it... things move quick this time of year I guess... 1-2 of those were still available... so i thought id satrt a fresh thread..
1.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I just watched all these videos... Thanks for the links! Interesting stuff... More stuff to ponder! haha
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results