shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
I am new to this and need some help. I have been reading today and postings here have been very helpful to others and I am hoping it will help me as well. I am trying to choose between two diamonds and want to choose the one that will warm my heart for a lifetime... I don''t have pictures but here is the information:

1.76 1.85
Table 55 .6 Table 60
Depth 64 Depth 61.4
Crown Height 15.9 Crown Height 13.9
Pavillion depth 43.0 Pavillion depth 43.3
7.56 mm x 4.85 7.89 mm x 4.82
H color I color (on the border of being an H)
SI1 clarity SI3 clarity (super clean - should be an SI2 only a two inclusions on the outer edge)
Price 9500 Price 7700
HCA 1.9 HCA 2.6

Both are certified stones and both are beautiful. The 1.76 shows Excellent on the HCA scale and the 1.85 shows Very good even though I was concerned about the crown height on that one. The larger stone has a much better price!!

Can anyone help me pick?
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d get the smaller one.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
I saw them both side by side unmounted but not with the daylight hours. Would you choose the smaller one because you think it will have more fire and brilliance?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Are you using different data to calculate the HCA score than you''ve presented here? The extended depth on stone #1 cued me to check. I calculate the order of goodness the same as you, but with different numbers, and with 2.7 & 4.2 respectively on the HCA.

The heights & depths are in the form of percent, not angles.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t buy either one.

I''m guessing the H stone is graded by an extremely soft lab.....$9500 for a 1.76 H SI of well-cut make runs approx 3.5K more than your price.....I wouldn''t feel confident in that one. Also, what''s the point in buying a 1.76 ct if it''s not going to look that big? You could get a well-cut, lesser weight stone that is just as big diameter wise (and better cut).

The I stone - table way larger than I typically prefer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither one. The first one is so deep that the diameter is about the same as my 1.6 ct. Why pay for a 1.76 that appears much smaller? A super-clean SI3? I''m sorry but I couldn''t go to SI3 on an engagement ring. Perhaps on earrings but not on a ring.The second one is not a great cut either.

You can do a lot better than these. I''d go a little smaller in carats and get a better stone any day.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
These prices are from a jeweler friend of mine and he is charging me 20-30% above his cost. That isn''t retail and I apologize I should have clarified that.

I am trying to figure out where they fall as far as cut goes. I cannot afford ideal cut and want to get the best for the money that I can spend. Having said that ... the 1.76 is IGI and the 1.85 is EGL cert. Which one is closer to the ideal cut??? My HCA calcs were wrong as I was rounding. I am still not coming up with the 4.2 though. The 1.76 has a cutlet .03 and the other one is 0.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
I am unable to afford ideal cut. What would you recommend to get the best cut diamond? I have researched alot in the past few days and it seems as the cut is where it is at. Color and clarity come in second in importance. Would you agree?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we agree that cut is most important and you will not get a well cut 1.8 ct. stone for $9500 or less. I see those stones are IGI and EGL graded, which means they are likely lower than represented. The SI3 would probably be I1 in GIA, and the colors could be lower as well.

Your friend is not giving you that great a deal, by the way. I don't think most of these vendors have mark-up of more than 30%.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I dunno. How about this virtual AGS000, showing ideal proportions, measuring 0 for light performance, from James Allen, 1.7, J, SI2 for $8K?

I'd be a cut prude over being a color prude. But, you might ask Jim to call it in and describe how eye clean it is. Since you'd consider an SI3, there's a good chance this will pass muster.

(edited to add...) since it's a virtual stone, it's possible if you tell your friend in the business about it, they can get it, too. Alternately, Jim may have his own sources. Likewise, as has been reviewed for you here above...other vendors have comparable options for you to choose among; it seems you're not getting a fabulous deal, so far.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also relevant, Who''s certs are they? Not GIA or AGS, at least for the SI3. Sounds like the dealer is telling you it should be an SI2, but if the paper factory agreed, it would be...

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 5:27:37 PM
Author: Wink
Also relevant, Who''s certs are they? Not GIA or AGS, at least for the SI3. Sounds like the dealer is telling you it should be an SI2, but if the paper factory agreed, it would be...

Wink
He said IGI and EGL...which explains a lot.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
I know it is hard to believe but this SI3 only has two or three feathery areas at the edge - no black spots or anything in the center. Maybe the scope isn''t working that I am looking through. So it sounds like my "not going to make much money off of you" isn''t in fact true.

Here is what I would like to have:

Ideal or excellent cut
H or I color
SI1 or SI2

Does anyone have any idea how much I would be paying?

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
Your pick is beautiful and with excellent cut! I would prefer the 1.75 or so and can check to see the price. Can my dealer friend by from this source as well?

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
Do you know if this vendor sells to other jewelers for prices any lower than on the website?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 5:38:24 PM
Author: ilovediamonds2
Your pick is beautiful and with excellent cut! I would prefer the 1.75 or so and can check to see the price. Can my dealer friend by from this source as well?
Sorry...not sure...you talkin to me?

The theory of multiple jewelers able to sell the same diamonds from a large central storehouse is discussed here. Some jewelers have exclusive relationships with some vendors, and Leonid recently mentioned this is typical of Blue Nile, who presents a lot of diamonds. Actually, I did look there, and didn't see one as promising as the one I saw on James Allen. Not sure if they uniquely sell that one or not. I'd say...provide the info to your jewler friend, and just ask him.

Otherwise, looks like the price for what you're looking for is more routinely $12K to $13K (with this latter one recently sold).

(edited to add)...although most here would agree that SI2s need to be seen before a judgement can be made about them, so that would be something to watch for especially for a virtual SI2 (and for those who believe you get what you pay for, the low price could be accounted for there...) many would agree that the AGS0, with consideration of AGS having looked at it first for you, offers an upside protection for you, even though it is not in the hands of the vendor, and so -- whiile it not being "ideal" that the diamond is not already in the hands of the vendor -- it may not be that risky, either.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking the James Allen stone was in-house since he had the pictures, etc. But it sure does have black inclusions right in the center of the table. It would be really good to try to find an SI1.
1.gif

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, just last week I bought a 1.63 H VS1 from Good Old Gold, so the first stone you posted from GOG is very close to my own stone! I''d have to email them and make sure the stone is eye clean, though. If so, I''d personally choose it if the inclusion is not visible, because I favor H color over I color. Otherwise, the WF one would be very nice as long as you don''t mind a little warmth colorwise.

ilovediamonds2

Rough_Rock
Did you set your stone in a 4 or 6 prong setting and WG or Platinum?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 11:17:40 PM
Did you set your stone in a 4 or 6 prong setting and WG or Platinum?
Weeeellll, it is sitting at GOG waiting for me to choose a setting! I am leaning towards platinum and am going to a nearby city tomorrow to try some on. My safe favorite is the SuperbCert Tiffany reproduction with 6 prongs. There are a few others I like, too, that are 4 prongs (Cartier style...see the solitaire thread in Show me the Ring). I like some antique styles, as well. So maybe I''ll have a better answer for you tomorrow night!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 5:11:36 PM
These prices are from a jeweler friend of mine and he is charging me 20-30% above his cost. That isn''t retail and I apologize I should have clarified that.

I am trying to figure out where they fall as far as cut goes. I cannot afford ideal cut and want to get the best for the money that I can spend. Having said that ... the 1.76 is IGI and the 1.85 is EGL cert. Which one is closer to the ideal cut??? My HCA calcs were wrong as I was rounding. I am still not coming up with the 4.2 though. The 1.76 has a cutlet .03 and the other one is 0.
23.gif
are you sure he''s your friend?
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results