shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose what to buy! 12 hour deadline!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Okay there is an auction in 12 hours with both a setting and a diamond that I like. So please help me decide.

I have been unhappy with the quality of my setting and I need to do something. At least change the bezel to prongs but I will probably end up resetting somewhere down the road. Thing is I just feel icky over spending the amount necessary for a reset ( 2000-3500 $) and I am wafffeling over what I want the setting to look like. Only thing I know is that I definitively want some form of halo or cluster.

Well I found a ring that is the same type that I wanted for years before I saw a halo. I still love that style of setting.
Amazingly the sapphire in it is the same shape as my diamond (OMC closer to an oval) and nearly exactly the same width and length ( it is 0.16mm narrower than my diamond). Also it is a true antic setting. However it has issues, at least 5 of the prongs holding in the diamonds need to be redone urgently ( they only go up to the girdle of the diamonds), add to that the work of exchanging the stones and resizing it (smaller). I don't know if it is worth it. It is not my dream forever setting ( at least I don't think so) but I really love it. The stones are OEC so they fit in with my stone and I just love the fluid lines and the red gold shank.

So do you think it is worth it to get and fix it?

Diamond: Its for a pendant in a milgrained bezel. I had originally bought a 0.43ct transitional but it is a I1 and I am worried that it will end up bugging me so I am going to sell that one and buy a new one. There are two main contenders, one at an auction in 12 hours and the other in an other auction in five days.

This one is at auction tomorrow. 0,72ct I and a I2 due to a natural on the table. However since it is going into a pendant I don't think it will be visible. It's very sparkly but the shape is a bit wonky.

This is quite a funny ring, huge that actually has a type of charm. Anyway it has a ca 0.80ct ( I believe it is larger) that has been in a mayor accident. It has a shallow crack in the table and mayor abrasions also to the table.

However the smaller diamond is just beautiful, at least 0.50ct lovely patterning and very firey. I am really interested in this diamond for my pendant. Then it has another 5 x 0.07ct and 3x0.03ct in 9.7g of 18k gold.

After selling the gold both options are currently priced the same, however I think that option B will go up more, so I don't really know what to do. What does everyone think?

Diamond A.png

DiamondB.png

clustersaf.png

LGK

Ideal_Rock
natascha|1316818585|3024228 said:
Okay there is an auction in 12 hours with both a setting and a diamond that I like. So please help me decide.

I have been unhappy with the quality of my setting and I need to do something. At least change the bezel to prongs but I will probably end up resetting somewhere down the road. Thing is I just feel icky over spending the amount necessary for a reset ( 2000-3500 $) and I am wafffeling over what I want the setting to look like. Only thing I know is that I definitively want some form of halo or cluster.

Well I found a ring that is the same type that I wanted for years before I saw a halo. I still love that style of setting.
Amazingly the sapphire in it is the same shape as my diamond (OMC closer to an oval) and nearly exactly the same width and length ( it is 0.16mm narrower than my diamond). Also it is a true antic setting. However it has issues, at least 5 of the prongs holding in the diamonds need to be redone urgently ( they only go up to the girdle of the diamonds), add to that the work of exchanging the stones and resizing it (smaller). I don't know if it is worth it. It is not my dream forever setting ( at least I don't think so) but I really love it. The stones are OEC so they fit in with my stone and I just love the fluid lines and the red gold shank.

So do you think it is worth it to get and fix it?

Diamond: Its for a pendant in a milgrained bezel. I had originally bought a 0.43ct transitional but it is a I1 and I am worried that it will end up bugging me so I am going to sell that one and buy a new one. There are two main contenders, one at an auction in 12 hours and the other in an other auction in five days.

This one is at auction tomorrow. 0,72ct I and a I2 due to a natural on the table. However since it is going into a pendant I don't think it will be visible. It's very sparkly but the shape is a bit wonky.

This is quite a funny ring, huge that actually has a type of charm. Anyway it has a ca 0.80ct ( I believe it is larger) that has been in a mayor accident. It has a shallow crack in the table and mayor abrasions also to the table.

However the smaller diamond is just beautiful, at least 0.50ct lovely patterning and very firey. I am really interested in this diamond for my pendant. Then it has another 5 x 0.07ct and 3x0.03ct in 9.7g of 18k gold.

After selling the gold both options are currently priced the same, however I think that option B will go up more, so I don't really know what to do. What does everyone think?
That natural on the table is HUGE. If I1 would bother you, I would NOT go for this one- it seriously looks like a crater. And the wonk is pretty... wonky.

The other stone looks much more reasonable. Can't tell a lot from the pic, but it is definitely the only one I'd consider of the contenders.

The cluster ring is purty! I would think it'd make your center stone fiery again; retipping prongs can vary so much in pricing though. The fact that it's an exact fit makes it pretty tempting- it'd be hard to find a similar perfect-fit I'm sure, other than going new and custom.

So I'd say, if you love the setting, and the price is right, go for it.

The I2- pass.

The .50 smaller stone, could be a good deal... or not. It's hard to tell much from the pics; if you've seen it in person and love it and know it's sparkly, then I'd say it's totally worth considering if the price is right.

ETA: I'm assuming what I'm looking at here on the I2 *is* the natural? I'm adding a pic to double check. If it's actually on the girdle (not the table- maybe you mis-typed? :tongue:) it still looks pretty dang wonky but might be more worthwhile... I'd still find the asymmetry irritating even in a bezel, myself.

Diamond a edit.jpg

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you LGK!

I think you are right on the I2 one. The other was was gasp beautiful. I was near the window but still had normal office lighting and dang. It did the whole range of pastels and threw some gorgeous fire. The pattern was quite nice, typical OEC. I am wondering if I could do anything with the bigger stone. My logic says that they should just be able to whittle down the table to fix it, but then I am not very logical when it comes to sparklies.

I have a quote for the rings retipping at approx. $250. I think with everything it would end up at 800-1000 for the ring. Gah I need to decide. I am going to call my jewler in the morning and hope he is there and can give me an approx. quote before the auction. I hate that this place only allows viewings the day before and the same day.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Jep that's it. Otherwise the stone is very clean but the natural is huge.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
natascha|1316820849|3024250 said:
Thank you LGK!

I think you are right on the I2 one. The other was was gasp beautiful. I was near the window but still had normal office lighting and dang. It did the whole range of pastels and threw some gorgeous fire. The pattern was quite nice, typical OEC. I am wondering if I could do anything with the bigger stone. My logic says that they should just be able to whittle down the table to fix it, but then I am not very logical when it comes to sparklies.

I have a quote for the rings retipping at approx. $250. I think with everything it would end up at 800-1000 for the ring. Gah I need to decide. I am going to call my jewler in the morning and hope he is there and can give me an approx. quote before the auction. I hate that this place only allows viewings the day before and the same day.
I don't think that's outrageous at all, for a setting that fits perfect with gorgeous side stones. I bet it'll look stunning with your OMC.

If you loved the smaller one? Go for it, if the price is OK. Maybe the big one is fixable- maybe not- but at least you'd have one awesomely gorgeous stone! It sounds lovely.

Yeah, if that's the natural, I'd pass. It's placement just sucks :blackeye: which is totally unfortunate if it was otherwise lovely!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your help! Yeah I think I will have to wake up early talk to my jeweler, convince the SO and go look at it again :lol: .
I must have gotten the stamps wrong cause when I date the ring I get 1825 which seems way to early. The stones are ten OEC/OMC (very chunky but round) 0.05ct very white about H, but SI borderline I1. Eye clean though. The setting is filthy however :(sad .

It is just so rare to find such a perfect fit.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say jump on the setting you know I love that style and it will look amazing.

Pass on th I1.

The other of the price is right for you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I cast my vote for the sapphire cluster ring - I think it would make a lovely setting for your beautiful stone, and solve an issue that's actually making you unhappy, whereas the other two options would both be "bonus" options. Also, with the other two there are issues that you'd need to reconcile yourself to - the natural, what to do with the setting and the destroyed .80 stone - whereas with the setting, a little retipping and voila! V. much looking forward to hearing how this works out ....

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Woop woop! :appl: I got it!

Thankfully another person that was bidding was not in the room because we both had the same max amount but he was first. So we had a same bid but I keep that paddle up like it were a life or death situation :lol: and I won . I hate how nervous I get before and during bidding, it just feels like so much money and it goes so fast. You really have to decide beforehand how much you are going to bid because in a matter of seconds the price can double, like today. Ended up paying just under $500.

Can I say how much I love it? The shape is just so right and everything flows perfectly. It looks like a little sister to Princess Diana/Kate's engagement ring. Same color sapphire included. Very dark but with nice blue flash.

I checked the stamps again and I had originally read a 3 which would have given a date of 1825 which this ring definitively isn't. It was actually an 8 not a 3 which gives 1945 which sounds just right.

Now the problem is that I love the ring just as it is :lol: . I think I will play with it at home until I can decide if I want to take out the sapphire and put in my diamond or keep it like this. I have been trying to pare down the quantity of rings I have and don't wear and now I buy I new one :roll: . I blame PS.

I really like the setting and I think i would work great with my diamond. Two buts though, nr 1, it is going to be huge! A spready 1.07ct surrounded by 5 pointers. Second, I love the design of my old setting. Yep I take forever to decide anything like this and think it to death!

Dreamer- I passed on all mayor included diamonds. The I2 one was actually very nice and of course doubled in price so I am glad I had decide to not bid on that one. The setting is so amazing. I was actually thinking about you today. Saw a very nice cluster and the sapphire was such an amazing color. I would redo the prongs holding the center though. Still at $ 830 not to shabby. http://www.kaplans.se/Kaplans/StoreArt.aspx?vId=655302&plT=64782251

Circe- You are right as usual :D . You should come over to Sweden, ogle the goodies and shake your head at the crazy high prices for some stuff and of course try to find bargains on the old beauty's.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great buy! I think you should wear it like it is for a while and then put the diamond in and see how you feel. You an always switch it back, it does not need to be permanent.

That sapphire ring is so pretty! Those are the proportions I like -- perfectly roungs. Some day I will get one like that!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1316888201|3024739 said:
Great buy! I think you should wear it like it is for a while and then put the diamond in and see how you feel. You an always switch it back, it does not need to be permanent.

That sapphire ring is so pretty! Those are the proportions I like -- perfectly roungs. Some day I will get one like that!
That's pretty much what I am thinking. Only thing is when I said as much to my mom she just thinks I am crazy. She thinks I should be happy with my ring and leave it at that.

Well if round is what you prefer then you will not have a problem finding one. I saw at least 10 today. Also they give lots of sparkle and finger coverage on a small budget. They are not that popular any more so the prices are amazing. I used to have an all diamond one called cupcake. 0.25ct in the middle surrounded by 8 5 pointers. That thing blinged like no tomorrow and gave a 10mm finger coverage.

cupcake.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results