shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose two dishes for my tasting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Before FI and I book the venue we both love we wanted to taste the food first. I can''t decide what to taste! We only get two choices. I want to pick stuff that will challenge them but I don''t know enough about cooking each of these dishes to know what goes into cooking them.

Thanks for your help!

Choose two, please!

Meat Stations:
1. Roasted turkey breast, Rosemary Jus, Savory cranberry relish
2. Spiced-rubbed angus sirloin, merlot sauce, horseradish cream
3. Herb-marinated pork loin, sauce, chutney
Choose one starch: herb-roasted potatoes, scalloped potatoes, creamy smashed potatoes

Pasta Stations:
1. Orrechiette, primavera fresca, basil pesto
2. Penne arrabiata
3. Cheese tortellini, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic cream
4. Vegetable lasagna

International Stations:
1. Havana: arroz con pollo, traditional rop vieja, stuffed plantain, smokey black beans, cuban rolls
2. Tangier: honey-braised lamb shank, spiced lemon chicken tangine with olives, saffon couscous, zucchini harissa, housemade pita
3. Kingston: Jamaican jerk chicken, pork pernil, fish in banana leaf, arroz con Gandules, spicy Jicama salad
4. Saigon: carmelized ginger chicken, marinated grilled beef salad, coconut curried vegetables, stir-fried 5-spice monkfish, jasmine rice
5. Oaxaca: chicken mole or nogales carne asada, seasonal fish in spicy tomato broth, frijoles charros, grilled corn with cotija, flour tortillas

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Two per station? Or two total? If only two total, I would push them to at least let you try one per. How could you possibly judge this range of food that way?

You could pick the dishes you project most of your guests would eat. Otherwise, though, what I would do would be to pick the ones I saw most potential for disaster. By my guess, I would say that is the pork loin, the veggie lasagna, or Tangier. You might want input from someone who is more of a foodie, though, like Freke.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto kata. Pork loin can be really tough to cook well.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I wasn''t very clear last night when I wrote this.

We will be able to pick 5 stations for the reception. 2 from meat category, 2 from the pasta category, and 1 international station.

We can only select 2 from all three lists to try as a sample to see if we like the quality of the food and style of the chef. If we decide to go with this place we will have a full tasting of the entire menu a few months out from our wedding.

I agree with the pork loin. I was thinking about that or the beef but beef is sort of a matter of personal taste (because some people love it rare, others well done etc).

Thanks for the input!

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should rank the stations that you would want at your wedding and then taste the top two. Even if they aren''t the "hardest" to make, those are the ones that you care about and should be good to you. If say the jerk chicken isn''t something you want, why would you taste it? And if its 4 or 5 on your list but you would be ok with a 2nd pasta station instead, then if its not the greatest when you can do a full tasting you won''t mind switching. BUt you may be upset if something that you and your FI had your hearts set on, like the main protein, not be what you expected.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:26:05 AM
Author: lala2332
I think you should rank the stations that you would want at your wedding and then taste the top two. Even if they aren''t the ''hardest'' to make, those are the ones that you care about and should be good to you. If say the jerk chicken isn''t something you want, why would you taste it? And if its 4 or 5 on your list but you would be ok with a 2nd pasta station instead, then if its not the greatest when you can do a full tasting you won''t mind switching. BUt you may be upset if something that you and your FI had your hearts set on, like the main protein, not be what you expected.
Ditto.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 10:23:05 PM
Author:Clairitek
Before FI and I book the venue we both love we wanted to taste the food first. I can''t decide what to taste! We only get two choices. I want to pick stuff that will challenge them but I don''t know enough about cooking each of these dishes to know what goes into cooking them.

Thanks for your help!

Choose two, please!

Meat Stations:
1. Roasted turkey breast, Rosemary Jus, Savory cranberry relish
2. Spiced-rubbed angus sirloin, merlot sauce, horseradish cream
3. Herb-marinated pork loin, sauce, chutney
Choose one starch: herb-roasted potatoes, scalloped potatoes, creamy smashed potatoes

Pasta Stations:
1. Orrechiette, primavera fresca, basil pesto
2. Penne arrabiata
3. Cheese tortellini, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic cream
4. Vegetable lasagna

International Stations:
1. Havana: arroz con pollo, traditional rop vieja, stuffed plantain, smokey black beans, cuban rolls
2. Tangier: honey-braised lamb shank, spiced lemon chicken tangine with olives, saffon couscous, zucchini harissa, housemade pita
3. Kingston: Jamaican jerk chicken, pork pernil, fish in banana leaf, arroz con Gandules, spicy Jicama salad
4. Saigon: carmelized ginger chicken, marinated grilled beef salad, coconut curried vegetables, stir-fried 5-spice monkfish, jasmine rice
5. Oaxaca: chicken mole or nogales carne asada, seasonal fish in spicy tomato broth, frijoles charros, grilled corn with cotija, flour tortillas
I feel like this is really hard to pick (i love food), but if it were me, i would try the rubbed sirloin with the horseradish (that''s the meat i would pick) and the Saigon international station with the chicken/beef/stirfry. I know i picked two with beef, but they sound interesting to me...

i love pastas, but i don''t typically think people are as picky when it comes to those dishes...i could be wrong, however. Can''t wait to hear how it all tastes!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:00:16 AM
Author: violet3
i love pastas, but i don''t typically think people are as picky when it comes to those dishes...i could be wrong, however. Can''t wait to hear how it all tastes!!!

I agree with the pasta stuff. I think that its pretty hard to screw that stuff up.

Turns out FI can''t come with me to do the tasting because he can''t get out of work early enough to get into the city and find a place to park so I am going to hopefully bring a friend with me.

Sadly FI and I haven''t even discussed which two stations we would want yet. I have a feeling we would go for the sirloin and the pork loin, cheese tortellini with the sun-dried tomatoes (FI is borderline obsessed with sun-dried tomatoes), and then vegetable lasagna. We intend on letting my father pick the last station because he doesn''t eat land dwelling animals and I''m not sure which of the seafood options he would like from the international stations. If it were solely my choice I think we would get the Saigon because I love Asian inspired food.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the pork loin and the tangier. Both the pork and lamb are meats that can go very wrong, and if they''re good then I would assume everything else would be of the same caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results