shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose the pearl size pls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

concun

Shiny_Rock
35 yrs old, 5''2... currently have 7.5mm stud and think it''s small (well, for everyday use, not so noticeable).

i start with the pair of earrings first, and will build my collection around this pair.

looking for a pair of dangle, should i do 8mm or 9mm?
will acquire the strand, which size of the strand should be?
size of simple pendant?
size of pearl ring (no diamond)? I have a 11mm south sea pearl ring and it''s huge for everyday wear :)

thanks.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Well I guess you could go for the same size necklace or a mm size down. If you're already wearing 7.5mm earrings and the other earrings are going to be larger ( maybe 8mm or 9mm?). How about 7 to 7.5 for the necklace? It could be worn with all the earrings.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am test driving a strand of 7.0-7.5mm akoyas, and I find it a bit small looking with my 8.0 studs. I bought an inexpensive strand from ebay to help me decide on length and diameter, so it wasn't a waste as I have answers for myself now.
2.gif
I think a minimum of 8.0mm strand would be ideal, and I prefer 18 inch length. For dangles I'd go bigger 9.0mm at least. For a single pearl pendant, I'd go bigger I think, or at least 9.0mm. I'm not sure about a ring because I'd worry about how fragile it would be.

ETA: I got those giant earring backs (14kt gold) off ebay for my studs, and they make all the difference in the world in the way the studs sit on my ears. You might want to look into that, I think they are a must have for all stud earrings.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:30:46 PM
Author:concun
35 yrs old, 5''2... currently have 7.5mm stud and think it''s small (well, for everyday use, not so noticeable).

i start with the pair of earrings first, and will build my collection around this pair.

size of simple pendant?
size of pearl ring (no diamond)? I have a 11mm south sea pearl ring and it''s huge for everyday wear :)

thanks.
An 11mm south sea pearl ring is not too big for everyday, it''s perfect!

For classic simplicity, I would recommend a 9mm strand of pearls. For earrrings 10mm. For pendant, 11-12mm. The less there is on a piece of jewelry, the larger I would go. So I would choose a much larger pearl for a pendant than for a strand. That said, I love big pearls!

dh97

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:30:46 PM
Author:concun

size of simple pendant?

thanks.

For a pair of dangle, I love to have 8 to 10mm. For studs, I keep them 8mm max.
I have a 7mm, 7.5mm and 8.5mm strands. Everyday wear, 7.5mm is perfect for me.
For pendant, I could love to have a big pearl as I can get
26.gif

And a ring, I will keep under 10mm.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next 3 pics:

Pearl earring charms: 9mm w/10pt diamonds

Pendant: 10mm w/35-40pt diamond (not sure of the carat weight)

Set - for size comparison.

I wear this set very often, when I''m not wearing my 8mm 20" strand. You can see the ear dangles from a mile away, so I think that size is really good.

pearl charm compressed.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the necklace...

pearl-neck-compressed.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The set....

pearl set compressed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results