shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose stones from these choices

diablo2man

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1389621543|3591894 said:
Seriously, I would wait for this one. It has the potential to be IT. DH proposed without a ring, token or anything. I accepted and we went shopping for rings later. When buying something this important and forever, one should never rush. It is all too easy to overpay, buy something not as nice or both. Good gems are not a dime a dozen, as you've realized. By the time RH gets back to you with additional pictures, shipping and etc, you are likely looking to be within the same time frame as Roger's sapphire, so I wouldn't cross it out yet.

Chrono, I think u r right. no meaning to rush, especially I will anyway present a stone not a ring. If i can't get a stone on time, I will consider buying a simple wedding band to propose :)

please help me judge whether concave ones are good, or roger's is better. thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diablo2man|1389630854|3591977 said:
Niel|1389630574|3591973 said:
I like the middle one. I like the size and the color. But I also think the cut is such that it's different, but not all that different, so it seems like a safer bet.

How were you going to set it again?

haha, middle one is also the most expensive one

I will let me fiance to be decide the setting so I'm not sure now
That's true it's most expensive, but to me the price seems justified, and falls within your budget. Which do you like best?

And shoot I hope you come back with the finished ring whatever you do it'll be stunning.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
diablo2man|1389620368|3591883 said:
Thanks so much for all the replies! It is really useful and give me better education on gems. I already called this one and price is in the range (around 10K) but it is not available until next week but I already planned to propose late this week :( All my female friends told me it is not acceptable to propose without something so I guess I need to stick to something available now.

I think you've received a lot of good advice here, but I've got to be devil's advocate. In all honesty, I would have been extremely disappointed if my husband had proposed without an engagement ring because I wanted the whole traditional she-bang (parents' blessing, surprise proposal, on one knee, etc etc). You know your girlfriend better than any of us, and if your gut and her close friends are telling you need to propose with the engagement ring, I'd be inclined to listen to them over a bunch of internet strangers, but that's just my 2 cents (which obviously differs from everyone else on here, so take that with a grain of salt). Just remember that the members on this forum are not your average jewelry consumer, and while we tend to be fussy about gemstones/jewelry and prefer to select the particular stone and setting ourselves, not everyone out there feels the same way.

If you decide to go that route, the good news is that you are in New York City, and I think you should be able to find a beautiful completed sapphire ring with your healthy budget - you don't have to restrict yourself to online vendors. On the other hand, if you are planning to propose with a plain band or temporary ring then I recommend you just hold off on the sapphire and let her pick that as well, no need to rush into buying something if it isn't needed for the proposal - she may prefer a darker/lighter tone, or a specific shape/cut. Either way, though, I do suggest you go out and look at sapphires in real life to get a better perspective of what you like in terms of color, cut, shape, and size, before you make such a significant purchase.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think he decided to go the unset stone route sense he isn't sure what setting she likes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first oval and round; I'm concerned the last oval might be a bit too dark. Without more pictures from Roger, who knows how all these stack up against one another.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1389635389|3592033 said:
I think he decided to go the unset stone route sense he isn't sure what setting she likes.

I saw that, but I just worry that PSers have influenced his decision based on our preferences, while her friends appear to be telling him otherwise. I'd just hate to steer him to a path that could leave her disappointed - since his original post he's gone from being certain she wanted an antique ring to now considering concave cut stones.

OP - Looking back at your old thread you seemed pretty sure that she wanted something with an antique look, similar to Single Stone settings, and someone suggested you check out Greenwich Jewelers. Did you ever happen to look there?
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/sh...ne-sapphire-and-old-european-cut-diamond-ring
Again, being in NYC, I think it is easy enough for you to visit a few stores to see if you can find something you love locally - take her best friend along with you if you can. Either way, I hope it works out well for you, and that your girlfriend is thrilled by whatever you end up doing.

diablo2man

Rough_Rock
carmen1|1389641357|3592093 said:

I saw that, but I just worry that PSers have influenced his decision based on our preferences, while her friends appear to be telling him otherwise. I'd just hate to steer him to a path that could leave her disappointed - since his original post he's gone from being certain she wanted an antique ring to now considering concave cut stones.

OP - Looking back at your old thread you seemed pretty sure that she wanted something with an antique look, similar to Single Stone settings, and someone suggested you check out Greenwich Jewelers. Did you ever happen to look there?
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/sh...ne-sapphire-and-old-european-cut-diamond-ring
Again, being in NYC, I think it is easy enough for you to visit a few stores to see if you can find something you love locally - take her best friend along with you if you can. Either way, I hope it works out well for you, and that your girlfriend is thrilled by whatever you end up doing.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I cooled down a little bit now. I guess last a few days I was a bit panic b/c it is close to the big day and want to get something "bling" desperately to ease my own nerve.

I think I will do something even simpler: buying a simple wedding band (almost fall with Cartier trinity with diamond pave, so simple and pretty even to guys) for propose and then choose the stone/setting of e-ring with my fiance-to-be together. we are not planning to have wedding in next 2 years so have enough time to choose.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diablo2man|1389759402|3593010 said:
carmen1|1389641357|3592093 said:

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I cooled down a little bit now. I guess last a few days I was a bit panic b/c it is close to the big day and want to get something "bling" desperately to ease my own nerve.

I think I will do something even simpler: buying a simple wedding band (almost fall with Cartier trinity with diamond pave, so simple and pretty even to guys) for propose and then choose the stone/setting of e-ring with my fiance-to-be together. we are not planning to have wedding in next 2 years so have enough time to choose.

i have a cartier trinity and LOVE it. Im sure shell love the sentiment and the ring.....

I think thats the best of both worlds. Because as fun as it is to get proposed to with a ring, i dont think its worth buying a smaller sapphire and possibly a setting she doesnt love just do do it. This way she gets a ring she can wear, probably forever, and the opportunity to have an integral part in the design process.

still though, you better come back because i want to see what you end up with :Up_to_something:

diablo2man

Rough_Rock
Yes, i would definitely come back and post photo for the foma; e-ring :) really really appreciate all the helps PSers provided here

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results