Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

amead

Rough_Rock
Had a previous thread soliciting advice, but based on some more research and feedback, I modified my price range a bit and have what I consider 7 very solid prospects. All of the stones are probably amazing and I'm probably really splitting hairs, but this is the biggest decision ever and I'll go nuts if I feel like I didn't analyze everything. All of these stones are roughly comparable in price and range from the low 1.2s to 1.33ct. I've been intrigued with fluorescence, but I've never seen it with my own two eyes so I'm a bit apprehensive about strong blue and whether it'd look "too blue/purple" in the sun. Been assured that they are not "overblues" though.

Which of these do you think provides the best "wow factor"? Any information is so absolutely appreciated - even if you just think that one of them should be disqualified for any reason, chime in! I've stared at these pictures for what seems like hours, but I just don't have the experience to make the best guess as to the superstar of the bunch. Thanks all!

#1 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8518/
#2 - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052883015

#3 - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049676010
#4 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2531930.htm

#5 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2638944.htm
#6 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1395827.asp

#7 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1395820.asp

Twos(1).gif

Twos(2).jpg

Twos(3).jpg

Twos(4).jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all pretty stones, from all the info we've got - we're beyond splitting hairs and well into personal preference territory :rodent:

So, some questions:
1. Does one vendor have the setting you want?
2. Is having a H&A stone important to you? You can do a search on PS to read up on H&A, what it means, what people think - spend a little while doing this if you're not sure how you feel.
3. Might you/she want to upgrade one day? If so I would recommend sticking to GOG/WF/BGD - JA requires that you spend double, and that's a significant amount of money w/ a purchase like this.
4. Is one vendor local to you, so you could go in and actually look at the stones you're considering?
5. Do you have a local jeweller who could show you some reputably graded (GIA/AGS in the US) stones with fluor?

*would request hearts photo retake of #7 from JA, if you want to be super nitpicky.

amead

Rough_Rock
Thanks - I indeed do want to get super nitpicky. This is the first shopping I've found that I can almost turn into a sport :)

I will definitely take to heart your reply and agree that vendor policies might make the difference.

Out of curiosity - the stones that don't have hearts images - they really seem to look extremely similar to the other branded H&A stones. Does it definitely mean that they aren't H&A without the pic? I couldn't tell a difference from looking at the numbers and images...

Also - why suggest a hearts retake on #7? Intrigued by that...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My top pics are #1 then #2. I only really like #2 for the flor.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amead|1317207182|3027697 said:
Thanks - I indeed do want to get super nitpicky. This is the first shopping I've found that I can almost turn into a sport :)

I will definitely take to heart your reply and agree that vendor policies might make the difference.

Out of curiosity - the stones that don't have hearts images - they really seem to look extremely similar to the other branded H&A stones. Does it definitely mean that they aren't H&A without the pic? I couldn't tell a difference from looking at the numbers and images...

Also - why suggest a hearts retake on #7? Intrigued by that...

Hah! If only my DH found diamonds half as interesting as Eagles games...

The V at 3 o'clock is asymmetric - and that asymmetry is not mirrored at 9 o'clock or in any other V across any other axis.

The answer to your other question is... involved. The short version - the proportions are going to determine what type of light return you get - they're the most important bit. Optical symmetry hones the nuances.

The stones that do have those hearts pics - they're "precision cut" to have very high optical symmetry - that is, symmetry of facets and facet reflections within the stone, as opposed to physical, facet-meet symmetry as graded by AGS/GIA and noted on the report. Obviously there is some correlation between physical and optical symmetry, but I was surprised to learn that one doesn't necessarily predict or exclude the other. Stones w/ Ex/ID facet meet symmetry grade without precise hearts and arrows patterns are common, stones exhibiting the opposite are rare but do exist. It's easy to forget that there is a variety of things that could potentially cause a symmetry downgrade.

In any case - those hearts and arrows patterns you see under the scope, or in the pics taken through the scope like you've got, they're not the goal of the operation. The point of "precision cutting" as I mean it here is that high optical symmetry, the precise alignment of 'virtual facets' that yields A) a larger avg virtual facet size, and B) a greater range of vf sizes - from smaller to larger - than a stone of similar proportions with low optical symmetry. The hearts and arrows pics are just the layman's way of easily judging whether a stone shows high optical symmetry or not - but they're not foolproof, and of course they depend very much on the photographer, whether the camera is angled dead-centre, whether the scope is positioned properly...

The gains of high vs. low optical symmetry are indisputable if you like to see as large a range of light return types (colour and white, big flashes and small twinkles) as possible from a stone of some given proportions. There are lots of threads discussing very high optical symmetry vs. high optical symmetry, if you have time and want to do that search... So from the information we've got on those seven (the glamour face-up pics and IS pics, the Sarin scans that even with the error margin indicates small variations in proportions arround the stone) we can see that all those stones are indisputably "well cut". They will ALL show colour and white light, and big and small flashes. But you can have a stone with nice arrows and imperfect hearts - and vice versa apparently, though I've never seen one like that, so all the clear arrows in the pics/IS tell you is that optical symmetry is high enough to show clearly defined arrows - doesn't tell you anything about hearts, and to be classified as H&A the brands require the stone exhibit both.

The proportions - crown, pav, table, lgf... - are going to determine *what* the hearts and arrows patterns look like - thick/thin arrows, long/short shafts, hearts with thick/thin Vs or clefts or not... some brands (WF, BGD) require that their H&A stones have proportions that fall within a certain tight range, meaning that their hearts photos are similar, GOG and JA require precision that yields clearly symmetric hearts and arrows patterns around the stone but discriminate less between proportion types - so stones w/ thick/thin Vs, clefts, fat/skinny arrows can all be classified as GOG or JA branded H&A. Just different business models. Without knowing more, and without the vendor's confidence that those stones have the necessary proportions/optical symmetry to be considered part of that vendor's H&A brand, you should just assume they are not.

amead

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1317179107|3027538 said:
They are all pretty stones, from all the info we've got - we're beyond splitting hairs and well into personal preference territory :rodent:

So, some questions:
1. Does one vendor have the setting you want?
2. Is having a H&A stone important to you? You can do a search on PS to read up on H&A, what it means, what people think - spend a little while doing this if you're not sure how you feel.
3. Might you/she want to upgrade one day? If so I would recommend sticking to GOG/WF/BGD - JA requires that you spend double, and that's a significant amount of money w/ a purchase like this.
4. Is one vendor local to you, so you could go in and actually look at the stones you're considering?
5. Do you have a local jeweller who could show you some reputably graded (GIA/AGS in the US) stones with fluor?

*would request hearts photo retake of #7 from JA, if you want to be super nitpicky.

Wow, thank you so much for that very detailed post (that I didn't quote here) - taking the time to write that is above and beyond, and it does indeed help.

To answer some of these above questions:
1. Going to decide on the setting after picking the diamond. Looking to go with a very cheap/basic setting to start, and have my soon-to-be fiance get involved and change up the setting if she desires. Pretty sure she is going to go very simple/classic and not want anything with sidestones or crazy custom work (guessing just a 6-prong tiffany style), but I'll leave that up to her. Going to sink my funds into getting the absolute best stone I can.
2. In my head, all of these stones are what I considered "H&A", whereas I can see the clearly defined arrow pattern. It is now clear that H&A gets branded by the vendor, and some have higher standards than others. In as far as that goes, I don't particularly care if it is branded H&A or I can see hearts through a special viewer, but I definitely do care that the diamond exhibits the best possible optical performance. So, if I can get one without the other, that is totally fine.
3. She might want to upgrade someday. I'm thinking that in the 1.25ct range, it isn't HIGHLY likely that she'll want an upgrade (she isn't into huge bling, so I'm guessing this will be the biggest stone of anyone she knows). The upgrade policy is a consideration though, and if all things were equal, I'd probably side with a vendor that had a better policy. I wouldn't sacrifice for it, though, if that makes sense.
4. Nope. Will rely on taking my best shot at nailing the purchase and having the stone shipped to me for consideration.
5. I'm not sure. I haven't hit the streets much, because honestly, the prospect of being hard-sold in B&M jewelry stores is off-putting. I'm relying on pictures for the most part in my fluor/no fluor decisions, and am intrigued because so many here say that it is really cool/unique. If the vendor assures me that the stone doesn't go crazy purple in the sun, I think it'd be a cool addition (would need to verify with my own eyes of course).

So far we have a vote for #1 and #2. #1 is the biggest and comes with a ton of data from GoG, which is nice. #2 is a G color, which is nice obviously. Has the strong fluor, but I'm thinking that some people think it might not perform as well as #1 or the others.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flor is definitely a personal thing. I LOVE it, but others do not.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Another blue fluorescence fan so +1 to #2. Strong blue fluorescence may cause the stone to go blue in sunlight but that also depends on the location and time of year. I bought an I color with strong blue fluorescence from BGD. It goes blue in sunlight in FL in the spring but not in CA. In the summer it goes blue in CA as well.

I don't think we have enough information to conclude that any one of the seven are more or less well cut than the others. I think the G vs I color difference is likely more noticeable than the other factors if you are color sensitive. The ~0.2 mm size difference between the stones is unlikely to be noticeable, especially once set.

If you think a potential upgrade to a non-round shape is possible later on, I think going with GOG would be the better choice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amead|1317224576|3027847 said:
Wow, thank you so much for that very detailed post (that I didn't quote here) - taking the time to write that is above and beyond, and it does indeed help.
Glad to help ::)

1. Going to decide on the setting after picking the diamond. Looking to go with a very cheap/basic setting to start, and have my soon-to-be fiance get involved and change up the setting if she desires. This is a fantastic idea - very thoughtful, and a great way to ensure she adores her ring! Pretty sure she is going to go very simple/classic and not want anything with sidestones or crazy custom work (guessing just a 6-prong tiffany style), but I'll leave that up to her. Going to sink my funds into getting the absolute best stone I can.
2. In my head, all of these stones are what I considered "H&A", whereas I can see the clearly defined arrow pattern. It is now clear that H&A gets branded by the vendor, and some have higher standards than others. Some have higher standards, true, but that wasn't really what I was getting at - GOG and JA have *different* standards. Depending on what you're looking for, that could be a plus - it lets you get a stone with high optical symmetry with a different "look and feel". I personally for example like a very high crown and shallower pavilion, and I could never get a stone like that with precise, proven hearts and arrows patterns from BGD or WF because those proportions are outside their H&A branding requirements, which specify certan crown and pavilion ranges.. just different business models catering to different people with different preferences, like I said. In as far as that goes, I don't particularly care if it is branded H&A or I can see hearts through a special viewer, but I definitely do care that the diamond exhibits the best possible optical performance. So, if I can get one without the other, that is totally fine. Yeah - nice arrows doesn't automatically mean precise hearts, and to get branded the vendors require both. I am completely, positively positive that any of those stones would blow you away! Including the JA #7 :sun:
3. She might want to upgrade someday. I'm thinking that in the 1.25ct range, it isn't HIGHLY likely that she'll want an upgrade (she isn't into huge bling, so I'm guessing this will be the biggest stone of anyone she knows). The upgrade policy is a consideration though, and if all things were equal, I'd probably side with a vendor that had a better policy. I wouldn't sacrifice for it, though, if that makes sense. Is entirely up to you.
4. Nope. Will rely on taking my best shot at nailing the purchase and having the stone shipped to me for consideration bingo, that's definitely the best way!.
5. I'm not sure. I haven't hit the streets much, because honestly, the prospect of being hard-sold in B&M jewelry stores is off-putting. I'm relying on pictures for the most part in my fluor/no fluor decisions, and am intrigued because so many here say that it is really cool/unique. If the vendor assures me that the stone doesn't go crazy purple in the sun, I think it'd be a cool addition (would need to verify with my own eyes of course). I'm with ame & thb, I think it's neat and I wish my own stone had fluor w/ visible effect in sunlight - but I'm not you or your SO, and a lot of people don't like it, or don't like the idea of it, or don't want it in their engagement rings even if they like it for other pieces... I did find that most of the local stores had at least a stone or two w/ fluor (just moved and haven't had a chance to check out local places out here yet!), should be easy enough to check out IRL if you don't want to buy first. Just leave your wallet home 8)

So far we have a vote for #1 and #2. #1 is the biggest and comes with a ton of data from GoG, which is nice. #2 is a G color, which is nice obviously. Has the strong fluor, but I'm thinking that some people think it might not perform as well as #1 or the others.

ame - why do you pick #1?

amead

Rough_Rock
Wow, replies are amazing. So far I'm getting the vibe that I should be looking at the GoG for non-fluor and the BGD Blue if I want the fluor. Also curious if anyone is vetoing any of the stones for a particular reason for my own edification :)

amead

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1317228018|3027915 said:

Yssie - Don't forget to share your vote with the group too, now that you are hotwired into my brain :)

Edit: Also just got a hearts image taken of the 1.318ct Whiteflash Expert stone:

H_AGS-104047646070.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the BDG Blue G VS2. I was debating between #1 and #2 but ultimately it comes down to color. I think there will be quite a difference between a G color and I color stone (at least to a color sensitive person); whereas the difference in carat size will not be as noticeable. Some people can easily detect the yellow tint in an I stone so given the choice I would go for the G.

I don't mind blue fluor (it's kinda cool!) so hence my choice - #2.
Oh and I also own a 1.22 ct G color BDG Blue (med fluor) as an engagement ring so I'm probably a bit biased. 8)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I see no reason to immediately eliminate any of these stones. 1 and 2 are not 'better' from the information we have.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the GOG stone--number one. Numbers are great and the pictures are fabulous. Plus it's the biggest!! :)

I don't like the ASET for number two--it looks like the arrows have paddles?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha okay. In terms of quantity and quality of light return - well, the GOG looks gorgeous, but as slg says the others look equally gorgeous and they're all sosimilar - similar proportions, so similar light return type.. It's true that they'll all have small variations, and if you had them lined up and you stared long and hard in all sorts of lighting types you'd likely pick a favourite. We couldn't possibly begin to judge *which* of them would become your favourite - none are just objectively "better" than the others. The only way you could find out something like that is of course to actually see them all at once, and given that that's neither realistic nor reasonable - well, moving on!

They're virtually identical in diametre, so that's not really a factor - if you had them side by side loose you'd probably see the difference between the smaller WF/JA and the GOG, but once set without the comparisons right beside not a chance. If you decide you want fluor, well, that kinda narrows it down ::) Otherwise what's the price on the JAs?

I'd take out the BGD H&A, given the WF H&A w/ same specs is 1k less. I'd also take out the GOG - the extra bit of size won't be noticeable, but it costs quite a bit more. The WF ES is the same deal - the size difference is negligible, but you're dropping the official H&A moniker - H&A may or may not matter to you, but there's no point in *not* having it for the same price without sacrificing anything else, so I'd take that one out too. Take out the JA VS1 - no point in paying for clarity you can't appreciate - and that leaves the JA VS2 and WF ACA. Of those two if having a more generous upgrade policy is important pick the WF, otherwise whichever is cheaper (stone + setting)..

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

1. Going to decide on the setting after picking the diamond. Looking to go with a very cheap/basic setting to start, and have my soon-to-be fiance get involved and change up the setting if she desires. This is a fantastic idea - very thoughtful, and a great way to ensure she adores her ring! Pretty sure she is going to go very simple/classic and not want anything with sidestones or crazy custom work (guessing just a 6-prong tiffany style), but I'll leave that up to her. Going to sink my funds into getting the absolute best stone I can.
2. In my head, all of these stones are what I considered "H&A", whereas I can see the clearly defined arrow pattern. It is now clear that H&A gets branded by the vendor, and some have higher standards than others. Some have higher standards, true, but that wasn't really what I was getting at - GOG and JA have *different* standards. Depending on what you're looking for, that could be a plus - it lets you get a stone with high optical symmetry with a different "look and feel". I personally for example like a very high crown and shallower pavilion, and I could never get a stone like that with precise, proven hearts and arrows patterns from BGD or WF because those proportions are outside their H&A branding requirements, which specify certan crown and pavilion ranges.. just different business models catering to different people with different preferences, like I said. In as far as that goes, I don't particularly care if it is branded H&A or I can see hearts through a special viewer, but I definitely do care that the diamond exhibits the best possible optical performance. So, if I can get one without the other, that is totally fine. Yeah - nice arrows doesn't automatically mean precise hearts, and to get branded the vendors require both. I am completely, positively positive that any of those stones would blow you away! Including the JA #7 :sun:
3. She might want to upgrade someday. I'm thinking that in the 1.25ct range, it isn't HIGHLY likely that she'll want an upgrade (she isn't into huge bling, so I'm guessing this will be the biggest stone of anyone she knows). The upgrade policy is a consideration though, and if all things were equal, I'd probably side with a vendor that had a better policy. I wouldn't sacrifice for it, though, if that makes sense. Is entirely up to you.
4. Nope. Will rely on taking my best shot at nailing the purchase and having the stone shipped to me for consideration bingo, that's definitely the best way!.
5. I'm not sure. I haven't hit the streets much, because honestly, the prospect of being hard-sold in B&M jewelry stores is off-putting. I'm relying on pictures for the most part in my fluor/no fluor decisions, and am intrigued because so many here say that it is really cool/unique. If the vendor assures me that the stone doesn't go crazy purple in the sun, I think it'd be a cool addition (would need to verify with my own eyes of course). I'm with ame & thb, I think it's neat and I wish my own stone had fluor w/ visible effect in sunlight - but I'm not you or your SO, and a lot of people don't like it, or don't like the idea of it, or don't want it in their engagement rings even if they like it for other pieces... I did find that most of the local stores had at least a stone or two w/ fluor (just moved and haven't had a chance to check out local places out here yet!), should be easy enough to check out IRL if you don't want to buy first. Just leave your wallet home 8)

DAMN IT! I lost my whole reply!!!

I selected the GOG stone mostly for the plot. I felt that it looked like a really nice VS2, and that the outer edge inclusion could be prongable if at all visible. The only issue I might have is that other one if it turns out to not be clear and is at all visible and that it's an I without flor and the couple may not like that. I also prefer the GOG upgrade policy so that if they intend to trade up, I feel they will get a better ROI on their selection. Size didn't really play into this factor as much, despite this being probably the biggest of the set. The price may be higher but you get SO MUCH more information and service from GOG for that price.

The reason I liked #2 was because of the Flor. It has nice arrows but I couldn't tell about inclusions. I saw a VS1 in this mix that I bet is also quite promising.

My desire for very clean stones is surprising to me, but I am anal-retentive and OCD about detail. so maybe not so much.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1317236115|3028034 said:

DAMN IT! I lost my whole reply!!!

I selected the GOG stone mostly for the plot. I felt that it looked like a really nice VS2, and that the outer edge inclusion could be prongable if at all visible. The only issue I might have is that other one if it turns out to not be clear and is at all visible and that it's an I without flor and the couple may not like that. I also prefer the GOG upgrade policy so that if they intend to trade up, I feel they will get a better ROI on their selection. Size didn't really play into this factor as much, despite this being probably the biggest of the set. The price may be higher but you get SO MUCH more information and service from GOG for that price.

The reason I liked #2 was because of the Flor. It has nice arrows but I couldn't tell about inclusions. I saw a VS1 in this mix that I bet is also quite promising.

My desire for very clean stones is surprising to me, but I am anal-retentive and OCD about detail. so maybe not so much.

Ah - okay. I didn't even look at the plots really, other than to confirm there was nothing glaringly wrong. And yeah - the information from GOG is nice - jJust not worth the extra $$ to me... dunno how OP feels obviously!
I'm a bit - um, persistent - too, albeit about different things ::)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt read all the post but who has a setting that you like? That may help you to narrow which stones to go over. They
all look pretty good in my book.

amead

Rough_Rock
Man, what a conundrum! I feel like every time I get closer to deciding, I melt down and everything is back on the table, lol.

For further update purposes: spoke with Brian Gavin today and the conversation was nice. Nothing earth shattering, just talked a lot about the fluorescence and how it wouldn't have any negative impact, etc. etc.

As for the JA stones - pricing on those is 10770 for the G/SI1 and 10110 for the I/VS1 Medium Blue.

To make matters a bit more complicated, GoG got in touch with me, and they actually recommend a seemingly very close cousin to the 1.33 I/VS2 - a 1.32 H/SI1. They claim the inclusion is "*very* faint" in the table, and can only barely be seen under a 10x loupe.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8530/

Oh the humanity. Can't wait to share my over-dramatic retelling of this search story for my special lady after all is said and done. None of my guy friends care about this either, lol. You guys are my only outlet :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amead|1317240946|3028125 said:
Man, what a conundrum! I feel like every time I get closer to deciding, I melt down and everything is back on the table, lol.

For further update purposes: spoke with Brian Gavin today and the conversation was nice. Nothing earth shattering, just talked a lot about the fluorescence and how it wouldn't have any negative impact, etc. etc.

As for the JA stones - pricing on those is 10770 for the G/SI1 and 10110 for the I/VS1 Medium Blue.

To make matters a bit more complicated, GoG got in touch with me, and they actually recommend a seemingly very close cousin to the 1.33 I/VS2 - a 1.32 H/SI1. They claim the inclusion is "*very* faint" in the table, and can only barely be seen under a 10x loupe.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8530/

Oh the humanity. Can't wait to share my over-dramatic retelling of this search story for my special lady after all is said and done. None of my guy friends care about this either, lol. You guys are my only outlet :)

That is another very nice one :))

amead

Rough_Rock
Of course it is! Arrgh! hahaha. I think I need to pay someone to decide for me - I now understand a bit better the concept of analysis paralysis.

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
I like #1 and #2 as well. Blue Flouro intrigues me, but I've never seen it first hand. I do hear that BGD is the place to go for the best blues however. Also, I think the GOG stone you listed originally is a nicer stone (IMO) than the other GOG stone you just listed (the SI1) - I couldn't get past the inclusion either...

amead

Rough_Rock
Time for another update!

At this point, I'm leaning toward #2 followed by #1.

I think what I'm going to do is purchase the BGD Blue stone, and have them ship it to me loose. That way, I can take the stone and view it myself in many different lighting conditions to "definitively" determine if any of the fluorescence attributes do anything but cool things in my eyes. If things look good, I'll ship it back and have them set it. If not, I'll ship it back and pursue one of the other stones.

At this point, I'm planning on either their cheap-o 6-Prong Solitaire or the Classic Tiffany Style Half Round. Mostly don't want the stone jacked way up high, and I don't like it so much when the sides of the prongs stick way out, and I like being able to see the side of the stone/culet of the stone. Hopefully one of those will do the trick, but ultimately it'll be my fiance's call if she'd rather switch to something more fancy.

And, I'll need to do this dance and get things in hand before November 1, as we are leaving for a Caribbean vacation with 9 friends. Seems like as good a time as any to propose *hyperventilates*.

Thanks guys - never knew such a message board existed before this, but as is often the case, the Internet comes up huge for me.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
tough decision- when it comes down to it I dont think you can realy go wrong!

Where are ou going in the caribbean?

amead

Rough_Rock
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

This is a group of 9 ~30ish folks doing that last fun group vacation before family time settles in. Should be a blast :) That is, if I can not freak out about the whole marriage thing! lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amead|1317339440|3029159 said:
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

This is a group of 9 ~30ish folks doing that last fun group vacation before family time settles in. Should be a blast :) That is, if I can not freak out about the whole marriage thing! lol

Congrats! Sounds like tons of fun - and sounds like you've got the stone buying well in hand ::) Do come back and let us know what you pick!

amead

Rough_Rock
I have wired the price of a small vehicle to BDG for one of their Blue diamonds. I requested that they send me the loose stone first, where I plan to, uh, look at it a bunch I guess sneakily so my gf doesn't see it. I think I'll probably also bring it to a jeweler that has been recommended to me to look at it - hopefully they'll give me a solid evaluation of the diamond, and then I can have them "remember that" until the thing is set, and provide me a final appraisal for insurance purposes. Provided it looks as amazing as I think it will. Half of me is pretty convinced that I'll get it and cry thinking how much I spent on a piece of carbon the size of my pinky fingernail :)

This sound like a reasonable thing to expect from an appraiser? BGD also wouldn't take a "Hearts" pic of the stone, even though I readily acknowledged that I knew they weren't being marketed for that, etc. (plus I already bought it so...), but I guess that is their policy. Hopefully I can check it out under a viewer just to see - the thing looks pretty damn symmetrical but I'm just really curious how it looks since I've seen a thousand of these stupid pictures during the hunt.

Enough of the blog post. Hopefully I'll be blown away, have it looked at by a place with a scope, send it back, and set that sucker into a Classic Tiffany Style Half Round six pronger:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5478

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh it turned out great! that is one beautiful and classic ring :) and really nice that you were able to check out the diamond yourself before getting it set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results