shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose for engagement ring

4ly5ha

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm trying to select a (lab grown) stone for my engagement ring. To be set in yellow gold, 18k.

I have narrowed it down to four stones that fall within budget, and as best as I can, all the appropriate 'dimensions' for a round diamond.

They all have slightly different HCA scores. I don't really understand why I'd want a 1, or 1.3 over a 0.7 or 0.9 -

They all have GIA certificates with AGS Ideal Reports. They all score 000 on this. They are all 1.35 or 1.34 carats. D or E coloured, but because its being set in yellow gold, I'm ok with up to F.

I would be grateful for any input into the selection:

1. 773 - score 1.3

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.11.46.png Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.32.28.png
1710095664110.png

2. 719 This one is E coloured. score 1

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.11.56.png Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.31.40.png
1710095690691.png

3. 856 score 0.9
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.12.01.png Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.20.22.png 1710095716893.png

4. 177 score 0.7

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.12.14.png Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 18.30.10.png

1710095744198.png

They all for the most part look similar to me in the online videos as well... which if it would be helpful, I can add, but trying to protect myself here....

Many Thanks!

Alysha

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will all perform beautifully, so you can't really go wrong, but I prefer the taller crown height and overall proportions of #1. Can you put it on hold and share the magnified video link?

4ly5ha

Rough_Rock
They will all perform beautifully, so you can't really go wrong, but I prefer the taller crown height and overall proportions of #1. Can you put it on hold and share the magnified video link?

I can but I have to do this over the phone and put down a deposit. As its rather late in the evening right now I'll try and do it tomorrow and post a video.

I've also asked for ideal scope images for all four, but don't know if they will be able to provide these yet.

I was hoping in the mean time you could perhaps elaborate on what it is about the proportions of 1 that you prefer? Is it crown angle 34.5 that is preferable to 34? The height of 61.6 over 60.8 or 61.1?

I also wondered with #3, how the areas of 'red' (brightness) in the centre on the ASET image might affect how it sparkles / is perceived IRL? I've never seen stones with that configuration on ASET images.

Will the facet thickness of 4% vs 3.5% make a big difference?

And lastly, I'm still struggling to understand the HCA scores with 1-2 being ideal for rings and <1 for earrings/pendants. I've read that it has to do with distance the stone will be looked at from / obstruction, but don't really understand what obstruction is or how I can tell this from the dimensions provided?

Thanks for any help!

4ly5ha

Rough_Rock

this might work until I can put it on hold, I know its not ideal.. but its a screen grab of said video.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can but I have to do this over the phone and put down a deposit. As its rather late in the evening right now I'll try and do it tomorrow and post a video.

I've also asked for ideal scope images for all four, but don't know if they will be able to provide these yet.

I was hoping in the mean time you could perhaps elaborate on what it is about the proportions of 1 that you prefer? Is it crown angle 34.5 that is preferable to 34? The height of 61.6 over 60.8 or 61.1?

I also wondered with #3, how the areas of 'red' (brightness) in the centre on the ASET image might affect how it sparkles / is perceived IRL? I've never seen stones with that configuration on ASET images.

Will the facet thickness of 4% vs 3.5% make a big difference?

And lastly, I'm still struggling to understand the HCA scores with 1-2 being ideal for rings and <1 for earrings/pendants. I've read that it has to do with distance the stone will be looked at from / obstruction, but don't really understand what obstruction is or how I can tell this from the dimensions provided?

Thanks for any help!

The video looks very good. I prefer the crown angle of 34.5 to 34, and also the 15% crown height compared to 14.5%, as they can yield a bit more fire.

The area of red in the center of #3 is due to the pavilion angle. The center is green when the pavilion angle is less than ~40.75, red when the pavilion angle is greater than ~40.75, and a mixture of red and green at ~40.75.

The girdle thickness is totally fine on all of them.

The HCA was revamped in the last several years, so that rule is more on a case-by-case basis. I don't see any cause for concern with any of these stones. Obstruction is when the arrows stay persistently dark at a normal viewing distance. Normal viewing distance is farther for earrings and pendants, so obstruction is less of an issue.

4ly5ha

Rough_Rock
Amazing! Thank you so much for your help!

Is that mixture of red and green at 40.75 degrees something desirable or entirely down to personal preference?

I'm very inexperienced and don't really have my own preferences yet when it comes to fire / scint / brilliance etc. I've inherited a smaller stone (set in a ring) from my mother and its the 'sparkliest thing' I've ever owned! But I don't have its certificate to really compare dimensions.

I'll leave this up overnight and see if anyone else wants to weigh in, but if not, probably buy (or at least put on hold) the stone in the morning. You've really helped me narrow it down - I felt like I was having to choose based on not much at all!

If you think it would help, I can put the stone you've suggested on hold and post the loupe360 images.

Thanks again!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! Thank you so much for your help!

Is that mixture of red and green at 40.75 degrees something desirable or entirely down to personal preference?

I'm very inexperienced and don't really have my own preferences yet when it comes to fire / scint / brilliance etc. I've inherited a smaller stone (set in a ring) from my mother and its the 'sparkliest thing' I've ever owned! But I don't have its certificate to really compare dimensions.

I'll leave this up overnight and see if anyone else wants to weigh in, but if not, probably buy (or at least put on hold) the stone in the morning. You've really helped me narrow it down - I felt like I was having to choose based on not much at all!

If you think it would help, I can put the stone you've suggested on hold and post the loupe360 images.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome!

The center being red, green, or both will have no effect on the performance.

If it helps your decision, #1's proportions are the Tolkowsky ideal, so they're arguably "perfect" proportions.

I could see the video well enough with your other link.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N, how'd you see the videos? Or your'e so good at sleuthing!

Anyway, all of these look amazing. I've always heard that 15% is a juicy crown height, so I'd lean toward that one. But that's completely theoretical and I learned it from @Kim N and @DejaWiz, so I'm just echoing the PS party line. :lol:

Good luck! How exciting for you!

4ly5ha

Rough_Rock
Hi again...

So I was on a night shift whilst posting this.. by the time the morning came around, when I managed to get home, was going to sit down and buy "it" with my partner - the stone (actually all of them!) had sold. Overnight... I don't think I knew the market was that hot, but it was kinda heartbreaking. I was ready to buy it etc, and now they're all gone. So I'm waiting for them to restock and considering new options...

Anyway - I don't know if my post somehow contributed to it.

Going forward, I'd like to clarify 'dimensions' so perhaps I can choose on my own next time. I have of course studied as best as I can from the internet and I am using the following filtering criteria:

Table 55-57
Height 60-62
Crown angle: 34-35
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8
Girdle: 2.5-3.5% (up to 4%).

I suppose I could add crown height 15% (but I don't know how important that is).

Now, I want to understand what the 'sweet' spot is from if you could theoretically make up your own diamond to perfect dimensions? Or if you had to place weight on the numbers, which ones are more important? I know its a fine balance and certain heights will look better with certain angles etc, but I'd like to understand a little better if I can.

So if I have a stone thats 34 crown angle, is that best suited for a 40.6 or a 40.8? And equally so, a 35, is that best matched with 40.6 or 40.8? is 34.5 truly the sweet spot or just the middle ground (I think you'd pair 34.5 with 40.75 right? but that certificates will round numbers)?

Should I narrow the height to 61-62 in order to choose a stone that may have less obstruction for a ring or instead focus on 15% crown height and ?

What about table? Is this a personal preference and am I really going to be able to tell the difference between 55 and 57%?

Sorry for the thousands of questions. Feeling a little stung!

Thanks for any help.

Alysha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results