shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between these stones?

AusEE

Rough_Rock
Hi
I’ve recently started the search for a lab grown diamond. This will be an upgrade from the mined engagement and wedding rings I currently have. In saying that, I have time on my side and wonder if I wait, as I keep reading prices are always dropping on LGD, is that true?

I came across GCAL 8X in the last week and really like their reports. Is GCAL 8X better than say IGI or GIA when comparing a like for like oval stone?

Below are links from adiamor for some stones I like, do believe they’re slightly cheaper on LGD website.
I’m after a stone between 2.5ct - 2.8ct, E, VVS1?

Can I get some opinions on them please?
Thank you kindly

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I think @tyty333 knows how to evaluate ovals. Congrats on your upcoming upgrade!

AusEE

Rough_Rock
I think @tyty333 knows how to evaluate ovals. Congrats on your upcoming upgrade!

Thank you! Okay great, I’ll wait.

I have a video of a 2.8 E GIA VVS2 and it seemingly looks better/more sparkly than the 2.57 E VVS1 GCAL 8X
Maybe it’s just the videos though?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like all of them have prominent bowties. I tried to find alternatives but didn't have a ton of luck, mostly because I really struggle when oval videos are taken up/down instead of side to side.

AusEE

Rough_Rock
I feel like all of them have prominent bowties. I tried to find alternatives but didn't have a ton of luck, mostly because I really struggle when oval videos are taken up/down instead of side to side.

I think I have a video of a stone, cert GIA that doesn’t have a prominent Bowtie but I can’t work out how to post it on this thread?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have a video of a stone, cert GIA that doesn’t have a prominent Bowtie but I can’t work out how to post it on this thread?

Upload to YouTube or imgur then post the link

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it looks like they are cutting most lab ovals with the 8 main offset faceting pattern. This will create the look of a "bow tie"
through the center of the stone. (I don't consider them a bow-tie unless they are overly black and dont return light in normal
lighting).

What I look for in this instance is as wide as I can find of the center facets because these are your "money" facets. They return light
pretty directly. They will usually be red in an aset image. The downside is that in bright light, like sunlight, they will go dark just
like a well-cut round brilliant and some people will call this a bow-tie. Do you see the dilemma?

You are doing good looking at 8X. Of the ones you posted, I would be interested in the 2.55 and the first 2.57.

This may be another one to look at

I did find a 4 main which has less of the bow look going through the center. This is a nice one...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results