shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose Between These 3 RBs!

salcas

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I think I've finally narrowed my search down to 3 stones.
All score below 2 on the HCA scale.
As of now, I only have the idealscope image of the 1.08 stone. I requested the 2 others, so I'll add them soon.

1.08 - $7,500
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2565641
img_0488-jpg.491697

1.15 - $8,200
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2539197

1.16 - $8,100
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2608291

Last edited:

jootyhuynh

Rough_Rock
all 3 of them say not available...

salcas

Rough_Rock
all 3 of them say not available...

Ah, must be because I requested the idealscope images. I believe you can still see the stone in 360 and view the GIA report. The price for the 1.16 is $8,100, 1.15 is $8,200 & 1.08 is $7,500.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey salcas, the IS images aren't showing up in your post above (at least for me)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based off the vids and the GIA reports, the 1.08 and 1.16 are my two preferred stones of the three of them.

I think you have linked the IS images from a location where the rest of us cannot view (based on looking at the image src location in html code). Can you pls upload them here on PS instead of linking to them elsewhere?

salcas

Rough_Rock
Based off the vids and the GIA reports, the 1.08 and 1.16 are my two preferred stones of the three of them.

I think you have linked the IS images from a location where the rest of us cannot view (based on looking at the image src location in html code). Can you pls upload them here on PS instead of linking to them elsewhere?

Oops! Can you take a look again? They should show up now.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Showing up now :)

After seeing the IS images, the 1.16 is my pick. Yes, it has a small black crystal under the table which bugs me at 20x magnification but once I zoom out, it'll definitely be eye clean. Plus the proportions are within the super ideal range.

salcas

Rough_Rock
Showing up now :)

After seeing the IS images, the 1.16 is my pick. Yes, it has a small black crystal under the table which bugs me at 20x magnification but once I zoom out, it'll definitely be eye clean. Plus the proportions are within the super ideal range.

My though exactly about that small black crystal! If only it wasn't there -_-
Definitly not a deal breaker, right?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It wouldn't be for me. The 1.16 is a beautiful looking stone in my books. IS shows distinct arrow shafts without any fading and there is more red/pink under the table compared with the other two stones. You can always get the JA gemologist to eye-ball it to confirm that it is eye clean from say 8-10" viewing distance away.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.16 has the best looking idealscope. Shrink the image on your screen til the diamond is around 6 mm and see if you can see any inclusions.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep looking at the video. It's really a beauty!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I keep looking at the video. It's really a beauty!

Agreed. Those arrow shafts provide some really nice contrast to the rest of the stone. It looks good at 20x magnification, looks even better in SuperZoom mode (40x) :D

Salcas, you should ask JA about a Pricescope discount on the 1.16 G VS1 and see what type of a deal they can offer you. It's a real beauty.

salcas

Rough_Rock
Agreed. Those arrow shafts provide some really nice contrast to the rest of the stone. It looks good at 20x magnification, looks even better in SuperZoom mode (40x) :D

Salcas, you should ask JA about a Pricescope discount on the 1.16 G VS1 and see what type of a deal they can offer you. It's a real beauty.

Thanks guys! I inquired about an additional discount and they are offering me the the 1.16 for $7780 (4% off). On top of that, I'd be receiving an additional 1.5% off for the wire transfer, as well as another $100 off for signing up for the newsletter! Total would come to $7,563. Very hard to pass up =]

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sweet! :)Are you getting this put into a setting with JA or just buying loose with an intention to set it later elsewhere?

salcas

Rough_Rock
Sweet! :)Are you getting this put into a setting with JA or just buying loose with an intention to set it later elsewhere?

I plan on buying it loose and buying the setting at a local jewelry shop. I understand I may have to pay a setting fee, but do you forsee any other issues with going this route?

salcas

Rough_Rock
And for piece of mind, I'm going to arrange picking up the stone at the JA headquarters in NYC. I live in NY, so this works perfect!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only potential issue is if the local jewelry shop stuffs up the setting and damages your diamond in the process of setting it. If you are planning on upgrading this stone with JA in the future, they will likely not take it back with their upgrade policy. Have heard that if you are planning on doing it this way, you may want to consider taking out insurance in the event this happens.

Worst case is if you give this stone to your local jeweller and they end up switching it for an inferior stone (hopefully they are reputable and won't even consider this type of shady behaviour).

salcas

Rough_Rock
Only potential issue is if the local jewelry shop stuffs up the setting and damages your diamond in the process of setting it. If you are planning on upgrading this stone with JA in the future, they will likely not take it back with their upgrade policy. Have heard that if you are planning on doing it this way, you may want to consider taking out insurance in the event this happens.

Worst case is if you give this stone to your local jeweller and they end up switching it for an inferior stone (hopefully they are reputable and won't even consider this type of shady behaviour).

I know of a couple shops that will set the stone in front of the customer. I'll be keeping a hawk eye on things

salcas

Rough_Rock
Just realized that I would have to pay another ~700 in sales tax since i'm in NY

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No tax if you ship out of state.

Are there no settings you like at JA? Seems more convenient and less risky and you will receive a finished ring.

salcas

Rough_Rock
No tax if you ship out of state.

Are there no settings you like at JA? Seems more convenient and less risky and you will receive a finished ring.

Going to have it shipped to my workplace in NJ instead to avoid the sales tax.

To be honest, nothing really caught my eye as far as settings go. Also, I'd rather see the setting in person. I know a couple reputible jewlers in my area, so the process should be fairly smooth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.16 was a great choice! Feel free to post settings here, too, if you'd like feedback on that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results