shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lupinbunny

Rough_Rock
My partner and I recently bought a sapphire from Richard Homer to use in my engagement ring. It''s finally arrived (in Australia), and, well, it''s not a keeper
7.gif

The colour is very fine. A very saturated, strong blue. I think (in my limited understanding) that it''s close to that mysterious ''ideal'' colour. But it''s too dark for my taste. In the photos it looked pretty similar in colour to this. I think I''d prefer something pastel to mid blue.
I was offered one other stone that fits the bill perfectly, but as it wasn''t included in the recent site update I fear it''s been sold to some other lucky person. So I''m trying to choose between the following (it''s links, I''m afraid, as my attempts to upload pictures were... not so great. Sorry!)

5586 is very pretty, but a little smaller than I wanted. I was shooting for 6mm or a scrappet bigger. But it''s in budget.

5999 is bigger than I wanted, and is pushing the budget. It''s about $1600, I was hoping not to spend more than $1400... I''d be most comfortable only spending around $1000, honestly. But if I want the pricier stone I can have it. There''s no absolute budget.
1.gif

6146 is the right size, definitely within budget, but I know from other info I''ve been sent that it''s a very shallow stone (can''t get 6.1mm across and .89 ct without losing something!) It''s only 3.3mm deep. Is this a problem?

And finally, 5989 is the right size, but as it''s unheated it''s pushing the budget again ($1600)Unheated is a nice thing, but it''s not of great value to me personally.

So... help a confused and overwhelmed girl out! Throw me some thoughts and opinions!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Tough choice. If you want to stay within budget I''d say 5586, if you don''t mind going over the budget, I''d say 5989. Reasons - nothing particular, 5989 is one of the lighter ones and you said you''d like something pastel(ish). But you can opt for a cheaper one and invest the rest of the money in some accent stones or a nicer setting. Anyway, good luck
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of all the 4 choices you presented, I preferred the first for that silky soft blue quality. Since concave cuts can be difficult to photograph, why not ask Richard for his opinion on getting one like the original one you got but in a slightly lighter tone? After all, he has the stones in hand and is able to make a better comparison than us looking at photographs on our monitor.
1.gif

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
5586, its got the most beautiful color!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results