shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between Leon or the Legacy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Honahlea

Rough_Rock
Choice One:
Leon Mege ring in Tanzanite
5.05 carat (10.5 x 9.5mm)
~$8,500

(Basically taking this ring below but customising it to suit a cushion.)
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=85

Choice Two:
Tiffany Legacy in Aquamarine
Center stone 2.07
$8,900

Choice Three:
I have a better idea, which is...

Hello, this is my first post so I hope it''s okay. Probably not since I''m already shamelessly stealing ideas already...

I saw a post around here the other day with a link to this beautiful Leon ring...It took my breath away! I love it. I also loved the ideas in that thread, so I emailed Leon and asked him for quotes on how much it would cost to have a 5+ carat (at least 10mm x 8mm) tanzanite cushion or oval in the middle. He said the ring itself (excluding stone) would be $5k but there would be additional (didn''t mention how much) costs for mounting a tanzanite because it is quite soft. The tanzanites I was looking to put in the center cost between $2500-$3000 bringing the whole thing to about $8500. That is already pushing my budget, and I don''t know how much extra he would charge because it is a softer stone.

My other option is the Tiffany Legacy in Aquamarine (see, I told you I''ve been ripping off ideas from other posts!).

I can''t decide... The Leon ring will be bigger and "blingier" and unique. But Tiffany is Tiffany... It might just be their marketing but I feel safer in dealing with a company than being at the mercy of one person. Also, what if the ring doesn''t look as good in a cushion or oval as it does in the round brilliant featured on his site? I can''t send it back, so that is a risk I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to read and tia for any help!
17.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just so you know Tanzanite is really really soft and isn't really suitable for daily wear as an ering. Aquamarine is pretty soft too...I personally wouldn't get either as an engagement ring unless you are amenable to having the stone replaced down the line (and maybe not that far)...

Honahlea

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yeah, it wasn''t for an e-ring, just a birthday present. I won''t wear all the time. That said, I am nervous about how "soft" I keep hearing tanzanite is, and might have to start thinking about other options. Any ideas?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 3:25:06 PM
Author: Honahlea
Thanks! Yeah, it wasn't for an e-ring, just a birthday present. I won't wear all the time. That said, I am nervous about how 'soft' I keep hearing tanzanite is, and might have to start thinking about other options. Any ideas?

Ahhh...well in that case I still wouldn't put a tanzanite in a ring personally, too soft. But Aqua is a great option as long as you are careful with your ring. Spinels also come in all kinds of gorgeous colors and are quite hard. Sapphires also come in a wide array of colors too! I love the legacy but that Leon ring is just stunning...hard decision. I am sorry I am no help, I love them both!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
re: tanzanite - I''m no expert, but I was talking to two different vendors about tanzanite as a possible alternative to sapphire for a ring for myself. One vendor said he would not recommend it for an everyday ring. The other said that tanz has gotten a bad rap for being too soft, but with proper care and especially in a bezel setting like the legacy style, you should be fine. Again I don''t know, never having a tanzanite ring myself, but just wanted to give you that perspective. I did decide to stick with sapphire for that extra durability. I also have an inexpensive aqua ring which I used to wear every day. I haven''t looked at it with the loupe or microscope, but as far as any damage that is eye visible, I have not seen anything at all. I wore it every day for about 2 years and wear it occasionally now. It was in a semi protected setting but not a full bezel so the bezel would provide even more protection.

hope that helps!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I have to second what TanDogMom said about tanzanite... I know it''s soft and generally not recommended for setting in rings, but I know a girl with the *most* gorgeous dark blue-purple tanzanite engagement ring (her husband''s parents were missionaries in Tanzania and he got the stone while he was over there visiting them, then had it set here in the States, then took her to Tanzania on vacation and proposed to her there). Anyway, it''s about 1.5 ct and is set in a 14K yellow gold bezel setting (it''s an emeral cut) and she''s never had any trouble with it at all and has worn it day in and day out for 5 years.

Having said that, $8K+ is a lot of money to spend on something that *could* be easily damaged...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Honahlea, on the Legacy v. Leon, I don''t think you can lose either way. Both are absolutely stunning rings. Personally, even though I adore the Legacy and want one, I would go with Leon. His work is really art...the pieces are just so amazing. And that particular style - wow! I think he''s reputable enough and so many PSers have had good experiences with his work that you should be in good hands...and from what I''ve heard from others (since I''ve never worked with him before), he''ll tell you if what you''re proposing (a cushion or oval in that setting) won''t look good.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with Leon if you are going to spend that much. His design is much more complex than the Legacy's so you are getting more bling for your bucks.
I did a similar project with a Tourmaline and it was half of that price and I very happy but I do understand the allure of the blue box
1.gif

Honahlea

Rough_Rock
LOL, right lot of help you ladies are..

Sigh. I can''t choose. I think I am going to go with the Leon but I will keep the Tiffany legacy firmly on my list of things to save up for.

At the same time as resolving that though, I''m torn as to the center stone. I originally wanted a ring with a pink sapphire but am spending too much on the Leon ring to be able to afford one. I then started looking at tourmaline and spinel but my mother convinced me that blue/tanzanite suits my colouring better. Hearing about the ''softness'' of tanzanite discouraged me and sent me back to the pink tourmaline but I''m re-encouarged (is that a word?) by the stories of women who wear them most daily and don''t have a problem.

This is like Sophie''s Choice!

Thanks for taking the time. :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:40:05 AM
LOL, right lot of help you ladies are..

Sigh. I can''t choose. I think I am going to go with the Leon but I will keep the Tiffany legacy firmly on my list of things to save up for.

At the same time as resolving that though, I''m torn as to the center stone. I originally wanted a ring with a pink sapphire but am spending too much on the Leon ring to be able to afford one. I then started looking at tourmaline and spinel but my mother convinced me that blue/tanzanite suits my colouring better. Hearing about the ''softness'' of tanzanite discouraged me and sent me back to the pink tourmaline but I''m re-encouarged (is that a word?) by the stories of women who wear them most daily and don''t have a problem.

This is like Sophie''s Choice!

Thanks for taking the time. :)

I think we''re all really excited to see your Leon when it''s done, Honahlea! What''s your center stone dimensions and cut that you''re looking for? I saw that you were looking at a 5 ct. tanzanite, but the aqua for the Legacy was 2 ct. - is there a minimum size that you want, staying within the $2500-$3000 range? And coloring-wise, are you darker/lighter with cool/warm undertones? I think a pink tourmaline would look stunning with that setting...but it really depends on what you prefer and what YOU think suits you!
1.gif

Honahlea

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...I''m not really sure how to explain my colouring except that I''m Eurasian. My father is Dutch/German and my mother is Chinese so think Kristin Kreuk colouring (the only famous person that comes to mind who is the same mix). I definitely am not English rose-like, but I''m not Asian-fair either.

With the legacy, I was prepared to go for a smaller center stone because I actually prefer it to be no more than 2.3 carats. Any more than that looks really over-powering on my finger. With the Leon design though, it is so beautiful and doesn''t have that halo so I would like to have a center stone that is at least 9mm x 9mm in a cushion or oval. I like the elongated look of stones that are more 11mm x.8.5-9 but I don''t know if the design will look as nice with a stone that''s not symmetrical?

My budget I suppose suppose is different with respect to different gemstones. For a tanzanite, I wouldn''t mind spending up to $3500. But were I to get a pink tourmaline or spinel, my plan would always be to eventually replace it with a pink sapphire, so I wouldn''t want to spend more than $1000, ideally. That said, I originally thought I wouldn''t spend more than $4k on the setting, but Leon quoted $5k and I couldn''t very well say no. Lol. I have no idea what is realistic with tourmaline-- would I be able to get a nice stone for that price?

After reading on Misspinky''s experience with Richard homer, I am thinking of giving him a call and asking him to help me out.

Thanks again!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:12:23 AM
Hmmm...I''m not really sure how to explain my colouring except that I''m Eurasian. My father is Dutch/German and my mother is Chinese so think Kristin Kreuk colouring (the only famous person that comes to mind who is the same mix). I definitely am not English rose-like, but I''m not Asian-fair either.

With the legacy, I was prepared to go for a smaller center stone because I actually prefer it to be no more than 2.3 carats. Any more than that looks really over-powering on my finger. With the Leon design though, it is so beautiful and doesn''t have that halo so I would like to have a center stone that is at least 9mm x 9mm in a cushion or oval. I like the elongated look of stones that are more 11mm x.8.5-9 but I don''t know if the design will look as nice with a stone that''s not symmetrical?

My budget I suppose suppose is different with respect to different gemstones. For a tanzanite, I wouldn''t mind spending up to $3500. But were I to get a pink tourmaline or spinel, my plan would always be to eventually replace it with a pink sapphire, so I wouldn''t want to spend more than $1000, ideally. That said, I originally thought I wouldn''t spend more than $4k on the setting, but Leon quoted $5k and I couldn''t very well say no. Lol. I have no idea what is realistic with tourmaline-- would I be able to get a nice stone for that price?

After reading on Misspinky''s experience with Richard homer, I am thinking of giving him a call and asking him to help me out.

Thanks again!

I see! I think your coloring (or what I''m thinking is your coloring based on your description) would go with a LOT of different colors, not just that purply-blue of tanzanite.

This is slightly under your dimensions range and a few hundred more, but pretty!

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5466

Lovely tourmaline - really big and under 1000:

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=4057

Lighter pink tourmaline - also big and under 1000:

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5852

And if you don''t want concave cut, try e-mailing both Jeff White and Richard Homer to see what else they have. I''m going to keep looking...it''s good to have a project during a slow day at work
3.gif

Honahlea

Rough_Rock
Oh, BrownEyedGirl, I am at work at the moment and don''t have much time but saw your links and just wanted to say that you are way too kind. Thanks so much for doing that for me! I love the ones you posted, especially the light one.

The stone is supposed to be better if it''s more vibrant, right? I must not have good taste then-- I love the really soft, sweet, pale pinks that lean more toward peach than purple. (But not if they look really watery and cheap... I like them to look like they are MEANT to be soft. Hmm, not good at describing this, should be interesting to see what I end up with, lol.) That third one is so lovely!

I emailed Richard just before. I can''t wait to get the ball rolling on this!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m another in the tanzanite being too soft to wear as a ring camp. It''s also not a stone I''d be wanting to buy right now - it''s nearly all heat-treated and I want to see what is happening on the coated ones on the market right now.

You can get sapphires in a tanzanite colour and I would go for one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results