shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose an Emerald Ring Please

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
My husband just shrugs his shoulder so I need input from my PS peeps. I have found 3 emerald rings I like. All are minor oil certified at very good labs. There is 4 k difference between least and most expensive. All 3 Zambian. Which would you choose?

1. Classic emerald cut. Just under 8 carats. LOVE the size and 3 stone setting. Lovely green with blue undertone color. Very clean for an emerald but not as clean and bright as the others.

2. Oval emerald is about 5.5 carats. This is a very bright Irish green (less blue undertone than the other 2). Has fewer inclusions than #1 but more than #3. Nice setting, brightness, and size.

3. Oval emerald is a little less than 4.5 carats. It is sublimely clean, bright, and great green with blue undertone color. I wish it was a little bigger. I do not like the setting on my hand but he will reset it for me.

Attachments

• 20200307_172211.jpg
    20200307_172211.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200307_172141.jpg
    20200307_172141.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200310_150429.jpg
    20200310_150429.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200307_172223.jpg
    20200307_172223.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200310_150326.jpg
    20200310_150326.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200307_171342.jpg
    20200307_171342.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 87

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the third one. Really like the blue tones. I think #1 is too dark. #2 is certainly nice, but I personally prefer #3 due to the color. I also love the setting for #3 but of course if y0i want to reset and the vendor will do it for you, then that's great

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
#3 as it seems to be the highest quality stone! What kind of setting would you have it reset in? Alternately, you could keep searching to find the perfect stone in the size you want!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the big emerald cut. The steps are lovely, the color very rich, and you can see an inclusion inside it (I think) and I love that.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're going to wear it regularly than probably 3 as it has the nicest colour and can probably be set in a halo to protect it.

If it is an out to dinner ring than I vote 1. Visually it is a far more arresting. But it's also a lot more exposed, so I wouldn't be wearing it a tone.

t86

Shiny_Rock
I think 3 is the best quality stone, although I prefer the style of 1. Any chance this loose stone is in your budget? It’s even bigger, gorgeous and glowy, minor oil, and no inclusions that I can see. You can make the worlds most beautiful ring.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too vote for the large EC with traps side stones, for the cut, colour and size of the Emerald, and the setting.

A truly gorgeous ring!

DK :kiss2:

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of 3 with a reset. The stone really glows and it would be a nice size for your hand with a reset.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@aac2013 I would go with the stone with the least inclusions. But that is just my personal opinion. Which one makes your heart sing?

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all who replied! It is so helpful to gather thoughts from others.

@lovedogs I agree that the color of #3 is truely lovely. I like the setting, just not on me. The setting is wide so a little uncomfortable and visually it makes my short fingers seem even shorter to me. Honestly though, I am not exactly sure how I would reset it. Maybe a great topic for another thread.

@MRBXXXFVVS1 I am not sure how I would reset it. Most likely a halo just to give it a little more size but less overall ring width than it has now.

@Daisys and Diamonds, @TL, @dreamer_dachsie, and @dk168 there is something about #1 that just makes me feel glamorous. While I mainly wear blues and reds from my closet, this would encourage me to wear a little more green. :lol:

@t86 thanks for sending the info on the other emerald. I will check into it and perhaps ask them for pics. It looks beautiful. However, it might even be a little too big for me (gasp, I can’t believe I even said that).

@qubitasaurus that is a great point. I probably will wear it a couple of times per month. I have other rings that I love so I would work this one into the mix. Even then, I would have to be more aware of my movement. I have been known to be a little klutzy on rare occasion.A halo would be a bit of protection.

@elle_71125, @thirdrock, and @Niffler75 stone #3 does indeed hit all the technical aspects for the best quality. I honestly can’t find an inclusion and the color definitely speaks to me. If it were about 1 carat larger, I would have already bought it.

For those wondering how I might reset #3, I am attaching a pic of a ring that I found a long time ago and filed in my favs folder. It might even belong to a PSer but not sure. This is really just a thought.

E1AB7C27-80CC-4BC6-999F-37B0ABE06310.jpeg

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
#3 would look lovely in that setting!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Love love the second!
The setting is yummy and gives a big impression without being gaudy and the stone has a nice lively color!

#1 just seems so dead to me like a lightbulb that went off and Im with ya when it comes to #3s setting; it does make your finger look shorter and chubbier. Even though I love the stone with #3 the impression it makes isnt as large.

Go with your gut! If you cant decide pass them all up and wait for your dream Emmy!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a nice budget! I would get a smaller, better emerald-cut and set it like #1 -- I think that style is classic and beautiful -- and a smaller, more intensely-colored emerald would be more wearable and make you smile more. I'm not crazy about the other two, but then again I like colored stones and not a lot of attention-grabbing bling around them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you only have photographs to go by? The reason I ask is that emeralds photograph poorly. Really fine ones tend to look and million times better in person.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
@t86 I contacted Ivy and Rose about the emerald you posted. I was disappointed in their response. I spoke to a lady yesterday afternoon who said she would send additional pictures and a video within 30 minutes. Never received them. I called back today (which as a rule I never do) and had to provide my info as if I had not called yesterday. They said they were working on them and would send them shortly. I got a pic along with an email about how someone today called and was interested (keep in mind I contacted them yesterday). Never received the video. From the pic they did send, the emerald is bright but appears to have a ton of light colored inclusions. A video would help me know for sure but alas never received one. Thanks for posting it though. It is great to have enablers :dance:.

@T L I am going to try to get video this weekend. I will post it if/when I do. I totally agree with you that emeralds don’t photograph well. All 3 of these are way better in person than photo. The big one that appears dark in the pic is lighter in person but still the darkest of the 3.

@TheGarnetGirl yay for #2. I felt like she was getting overlooked with no one choosing her as first. She is very bright and a comfortable ring overall.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dark emeralds typically look horrible in photographs, but dark emeralds from Columbia are typically the most prized. They have a metallic green sheen that is extremely difficult to recreate In a photograph.

I know what I say is going to sound super strange, but I actually prefer dark emeralds! I find them mesmerizing in a completely different way to other gemstones when they're a deep shade, especially if they're set with some really, really sparkly diamonds. I also like emeralds to be very sizeable. They're such a majestic gemstone. For these reasons - I would go for #1! Of course since you posted this so long ago I'm guessing you've made a decision, and honestly all three are lovely so you can't go wrong :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results