shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose Akoya studs, please

buttertoast

Rough_Rock
First Akoya pearl purchase.
These were the 4 pair selects from Takahashi for top quality Akoya studs over 9 mm. I am drawn to anything over 9 mm, but I won’t completely rule out a smaller 8.5 mm pick.

Luster is my biggest ask and size second.

The cost is not the main factor in picking, so it can be ignored.

Which would you pick based on luster and size? I want to kindly ask for your help, because the passion and expertise of this community is unmatched and I would love to have your opinion on these beauties.

Personally, I find them truly beautiful, but for the life of me, I can’t distinguish their features well when they are all pretty darn shiny and lustrous.

Thank you immensely for your help! i appreciate you!

Top to bottom in first picture:
  1. AAA+ with unnoticeable blemish in the back (I have no problem with it)
  2. AAA+ no blemish (close in price with option 3)
  3. Almost gem
  4. Gem
Second picture is just showing option 1 and 2, from top to bottom.
B419D064-4D9B-4949-8C47-BABD506D0C92.jpeg 68B9CE02-9E4E-4DB9-8480-6A21A4CE643B.jpeg

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
If you want size, personally I would go with option 2 over option 1. To my eyes, it has a slightly better matching of overtone colors, slightly better skin quality and those pictures imply very very slightly better luster.

I remember seeing Takahashi post options 2-4 on instagram. When I looked there, I had a preference for the smaller option 4 on the bottom —- that has not changed. It definitely has the best luster but there is a very big gap in size between 8.6mm and 9.6mm!!

IMG_0362.png
IMG_0363.png
IMG_0364.png

buttertoast

Rough_Rock
Thank you for explaining the differences! Helps a lot.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eyes liked option 3 the best.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a pearl expert, but I bought a pair of gem akoya from Takahashi in February. I actually was choosing between the pair I purchased and your #4 pair! You are in good hands with them, I think you’ll be blown away when you get them. I find 8.5mm super easy to wear. Just put them on and go. I have 9.5mm champagne south seas and I need to wear a bling dot and larger backs so they stay perky. Both sizes are beautiful. With that said, my eyes are drawn to #3 and #4

buttertoast

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for offering their opinion and describing what their eyes are seeing! It’s helpful and I am learning more.

@MamaBear I definitely understand your comment about size and weight and you are right. I am used to wearing a larger and heavier South Sea pearl pair, 11 mm, and they definitely pull my lobes down and don’t look as perky.

I’ve been mesmerized for a few years with the mirror sharp luster of akoyas on Takahashi’s Instagram. Happy to hear you were blown away by your pair, IRL! Enjoy! I will make a decision with all of this helpful advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results