shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a setting for my OEC :)

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Ugh, I just can't seem to narrow it down more than this. I have a 1.94 N OEC and all I really know at this point is that I want to set it in 18k gold. Could be yellow, rose or unplated white.

These are my four favorite solitaire settings. Sorry, not sure how to post pictures!

1. Caysie van Bebber Dahlia: https://www.etsy.com/listing/237538848/cvb-and-lad-dahlia-platinum-and-rose?ref=shop_home_active_21
2. CvB Chloe: for this one I'd do no pave, no shank wraps, and I'd ask for slightly different prongs (still double prongs, but shaped like those on her Sophie and Julia settings): https://www.etsy.com/listing/233980...itaire-18k-yellow-gold?ref=shop_home_active_3
3. Erika Winters Laurel Cathedral (plain shank): http://www.erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Laurel-Cathedral-Solitaire.html#.VgYLX_lViko
4. EW Grace with 8 prongs, modified to have cathedral shoulders, no pave, and maybe a tapered shank like the Laurel: http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Grace_Solitaire.html#.VgYLgvlViko

Anyone feel like voting? :)

camomof4

Rough_Rock
When I saw the title of your thread I clicked intending to put in a vote for the Chloe- and then I saw it was one of your top choices. I think it's absolutely breathtaking. I'm considering it for an OEC myself (if I ever find one)! Have you seen it stacked with the coordinating bands? :o

chloe.jpg

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
camomof4, so glad you like the Chloe! What color, do you think??

And yes, I'm obsessed with the bands. They are TDF. :love: I especially love the Alexandria and Angelina. :drool: And actually that brings up another question. I'd love to have one of those bands and I love the idea of mixing metals. So what two metals look prettiest together, do you think? Unplated white with rose? Or maybe do the solitaire in yellow or rose and the band in plat? So many gorgeous possibilities... my head is exploding!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
The Chloe is stunning! :love: Although you can't go wrong with any of these settings! They are all beautiful! :appl:

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Rockinruby! :)

Maybe I should add that the EW settings cost more than twice as much as the CvBs... I do LOVE them, though. :confused:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
sugarski|1443242415|3931994 said:

Maybe I should add that the EW settings cost more than twice as much as the CvBs... I do LOVE them, though. :confused:

Wow! Big price difference then. They are gorgeous though! I agree! This will be a tough decision, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Chloe is gorgeous and I have actually tried it on! The color of metal would depend on the undertone of your diamond. Is it more yellow or brown? If yellow, I'd set it in yellow gold, and if brown, rose gold. I think more tend to be yellow, and that setting is stunning in yg. It also happens to be priced well. I am not sure about mixing metals unless you add a third band. I think you can do a platinum band with a yg e-ring, but I'd add one more thin band in yg to kind of balance things out. I have seen Yenny wear a rose gold band between two platinum rings and that was beautiful, so I know it can work with the right combination.

(I love the Dahlia, too, but I prefer it to have the white metal head and only the shank in another metal which might not work well with an N color diamond.)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first choice was the EW 8 prong setting but I cant justify the huge price difference...its just not that much prettier/nicer than
the others (although I do love it/them and if I won the lottery...). So the chloe would be my choice! If money isnt an option for
you then the EW 8 prong would be my choice.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
The Chloe is gorgeous. :love: I vote for the Chloe in 18k yellow gold, if that is the color that complements your stone. Maybe you can try holding your stone next to a yellow gold band, rose gold band, etc. to see which color works the best? Or send it to Caysie/Grace once you decide on a setting, and ask for their opinion on which gold color would work the best with your stone.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Rockinruby|1443243860|3931999 said:
sugarski|1443242415|3931994 said:

Wow! Big price difference then. They are gorgeous though! I agree! This will be a tough decision, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project! :appl:

Thanks, Rockinruby. :) I'm pretty excited about it! :dance:

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443280349|3932075 said:
The Chloe is gorgeous and I have actually tried it on! The color of metal would depend on the undertone of your diamond. Is it more yellow or brown? If yellow, I'd set it in yellow gold, and if brown, rose gold. I think more tend to be yellow, and that setting is stunning in yg. It also happens to be priced well. I am not sure about mixing metals unless you add a third band. I think you can do a platinum band with a yg e-ring, but I'd add one more thin band in yg to kind of balance things out. I have seen Yenny wear a rose gold band between two platinum rings and that was beautiful, so I know it can work with the right combination.

(I love the Dahlia, too, but I prefer it to have the white metal head and only the shank in another metal which might not work well with an N color diamond.)

Hi DS! I agree that I'll have to put some thought into how to mix the metals. I do love rose gold too so maybe I can somehow do all three. Have to give this some thought.

I'm really interested in what you have to say about choosing the right metal color for the solitaire. Yes, I think the undertone of my stone is yellow and not brown. Can you expand on why an N color diamond might not work in platinum? I'm just curious... I don't like platinum on me in any case, but I also feel like sometimes a low color stone in platinum can look dingy in comparison. OTOH, some people seem to say the exact opposite so I'm pretty confused. :) Ideally, I'd like the stone to "pop" in contrast to the much yellower or deeper gold color... but then again, low color stones in unplated white look gorgeous to me too!

It may take me quite some time to figure this out. LOL. Would love to hear more of your thoughts!

Also, do you see what I mean about the Chloe prongs? I feel like they are sort of... triangular? instead of traditional claw prongs. Do you think I should ask Caysie to change them? The prongs on the EW designs are just so :drool: , kwim?

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1443288530|3932116 said:
My first choice was the EW 8 prong setting but I cant justify the huge price difference...its just not that much prettier/nicer than
the others (although I do love it/them and if I won the lottery...). So the chloe would be my choice! If money isnt an option for
you then the EW 8 prong would be my choice.

Thanks, tyty333! I appreciate the feedback! :)

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
nycspring|1443290813|3932126 said:
The Chloe is gorgeous. :love: I vote for the Chloe in 18k yellow gold, if that is the color that complements your stone. Maybe you can try holding your stone next to a yellow gold band, rose gold band, etc. to see which color works the best? Or send it to Caysie/Grace once you decide on a setting, and ask for their opinion on which gold color would work the best with your stone.

Thanks for your vote, nycspring! :) Honestly? I did that (held the stone next to each of the rings in my Trinity ring, which has rose, yellow, and white, though the white is probably not the same tone as unplated nickel wg). And... I still couldn't decide. LOL. They all looked good to me.

I think you're right that the best thing to do is settle on a design and then ask the designer to help me choose. Both these ladies are such extraordinary artists, I think they will know best. :)

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the CvB Chloe in yellow gold here! :naughty:

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
HegemonyCricket|1443315878|3932264 said:
Another vote for the CvB Chloe in yellow gold here! :naughty:

:) Thanks HC!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results