shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a diamond and decide on setting ideas

dogginup

Rough_Rock
Hm- any suggestion how I would check edge crown brightness??

dogginup

Rough_Rock
And I am happy to hear the 2.15 was among the ones you liked most @DejaWiz - I am hoping this is the one and it looks great in person!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hm- any suggestion how I would check edge crown brightness??

View it in indirect lighting to make sure there are no excessive dark/dull spots dotted around the crown. This diamond has proportions and angles that will favor fire, so it should throw off some serious fireworks in direct lighting!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @momofive ! I am not sure what transitional means. I think the problem is I appreciate many different things in settings. I love the Tiffany style- I think it’s the 6 prongs more than the knife edge though, which is why I like the David Klass I posted at the top of the thread. I like that that setting has a little vintage flair a La cvb or Erika winters but is a bit more classic than those designers. I am interested in pave but not a halo. And I’d like it to complement my band in the picture above but not look like I’m trying to match. And I’m also interested in stacking a diamond band in the future, like eternity ring.

Is this confusing enough for everyone or am do I sound even more confused than I am?

This is why I believe I keep going back to that classic Tiffany style- at least it makes sense to me!

No. Not too confusing! LOL. My personal preference (but yours is what counts) would be a simple, classic setting with softly rounded shank (because the band has straighter edges), tapering to the crown. I think it would look great, down the road, with a diamond band to either stack with the gold or wear just the two or, wear the gold and diamond band when you didn’t want to wear the diamond. Congratulations on your diamond purchase. I hope it is “the one”!

dogginup

Rough_Rock
No. Not too confusing! LOL. My personal preference (but yours is what counts) would be a simple, classic setting with softly rounded shank (because the band has straighter edges), tapering to the crown. I think it would look great, down the road, with a diamond band to either stack with the gold or wear just the two or, wear the gold and diamond band when you didn’t want to wear the diamond. Congratulations on your diamond purchase. I hope it is “the one”!

View it in indirect lighting to make sure there are no excessive dark/dull spots dotted around the crown. This diamond has proportions and angles that will favor fire, so it should throw off some serious fireworks in direct lighting!

Okay I will certainly try that when it arrives. Thank you. I was wondering if there is some particular aspect of this diamond that makes you think that dark or dull spots may be likely? I’m really curious and love to learn and I’m kind of loving the physics aspect of this. Not that I was good at physics

dogginup

Rough_Rock

Thank you @momofive ! I love that description and I feel you’ve put into words much better what I’ve been thinking. If you have the time and it’s not too much trouble I’d love a visual on the type of band you’re describing, as I may still have David Klass do it so I’m assuming if he already makes a setting like that, or if there’s a stock setting I can show him that would be easiest. Do you think no pave? I can see how without it it would be easier to accent with a band with diamonds later, and may be more practical with my frequent hand washing and gloves at work. Thank you so much!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Okay I will certainly try that when it arrives. Thank you. I was wondering if there is some particular aspect of this diamond that makes you think that dark or dull spots may be likely? I’m really curious and love to learn and I’m kind of loving the physics aspect of this. Not that I was good at physics

Nothing overly concerning at all... potential for a less bright crown in the video, but extremely hard to quantify or conclude since it could be the photography environment and camera settings. I went through the same thing when I bought my wife's latest diamond. All was well with it, but I needed to apply that extra scrutinization for a happy brain.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You can elect to put it into a simple solitaire and think it over. I do love my RB in a simple solitaire setting - I can mix and match bands.

dogginup

Rough_Rock
I like that idea @MMtwo !! What solitaire did you go with if I may ask?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have the Ritani in 18k knife edge solitaire. It is well executed and goes with about everything

Forgive the geriatric fingers - not the fault of the ring :)

B8DE1282-D64E-4257-A52F-CACB425EFB8F.jpeg DB8FC1DF-4962-47E4-960A-D65F4AB2D928.jpeg

Last edited:

dogginup

Rough_Rock
I have the Ritani in 18k knife edge solitaire. It is well executed and goes with about everything

Forgive the geriatric fingers - not the fault of the ring :)

B8DE1282-D64E-4257-A52F-CACB425EFB8F.jpeg DB8FC1DF-4962-47E4-960A-D65F4AB2D928.jpeg
Wow your ring is so beautiful! And so sparkly and I’m seeing so many lovely colors! Is that a lab stone? I don’t know why I didn’t consider getting the setting at Ritani, on first glance at their site I didn’t like anything but I think I missed this. Is the diamond set up high? I wonder if I could specify height with them. And I wonder if knife edge would look odd with my band.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. This ring is a lab. A G Si1 2.23 from Ritani.

This is the heavier knife edge - they sell two weights. The stone top is 6.6 mm above the band top. I am sure you could send it back for setting. If temporary, you could use the lighter setting.

I am not sure that this ring could be made "shorter" but maybe they have a custom option. You could check. IT may rope you into buying from them. Not a bad thing though, their prices and inventory are great

C57F582D-736B-4B21-9089-656F785F9AAD.jpeg

My favorite solitaire is the Vatche U113 though - worth a quick Google. The lines are heavenly! You can get that through Whiteflash and IDJewelry.

Either vendor is PS friendly and carry this fabulous setting.

dogginup

Rough_Rock
Thank you. This ring is a lab. A G Si1 2.23 from Ritani.

This is the heavier knife edge - they sell two weights. The stone top is 6.6 mm above the band top. I am sure you could send it back for setting. If temporary, you could use the lighter setting.

I am not sure that this ring could be made "shorter" but maybe they have a custom option. You could check. IT may rope you into buying from them. Not a bad thing though, their prices and inventory are great

C57F582D-736B-4B21-9089-656F785F9AAD.jpeg

My favorite solitaire is the Vatche U113 though - worth a quick Google. The lines are heavenly! You can get that through Whiteflash and IDJewelry.

Either vendor is PS friendly and carry this fabulous setting.

Thank you @MMtwo ! Setting it at Ritani would definitely simplify things. But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t overcomplicate things and because I have loved the u113 from the beginning that is likely what I’ll go with. I was also thinking David Klass could do it. For anyone who has done the process with either IDJ to get an outside diamond set or David Klass, was the process straightforward? I’m thinking bc DK is a custom design more things might be able to go wrong. Anywho- I’ll be posting the diamond when it arrives to get your thoughts and go from there! Thank you all so much! Excited

dogginup

Rough_Rock
Thank you @MMtwo ! Setting it at Ritani would definitely simplify things. But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t overcomplicate things and because I have loved the u113 from the beginning that is likely what I’ll go with. I was also thinking David Klass could do it. For anyone who has done the process with either IDJ to get an outside diamond set or David Klass, was the process straightforward? I’m thinking bc DK is a custom design more things might be able to go wrong. Anywho- I’ll be posting the diamond when it arrives to get your thoughts and go from there! Thank you all so much! Excited

And I’m still slightly concerned a knife edge will look odd with my wedding band being so flat. Ah dear.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am working with IDJ now on a new ring. Fantastic service. I would reach out and see what they have.

Reactions: Kya
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results