shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me buy a Tanzanite ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Austen

Rough_Rock
I hope this post is appropriate.. if not, I apologize.

I am wanting to buy my wife a tanzanite ring. The problem is, I can''t seem to find a good vendor through PS. I have found a few links to sites that have beautiful unmounted gems, but I think I am too scared to try to buy one and then get it mounted. I think I would really like a rally high quality gem already mounted, but I can''t seem to find that.

I am looking for a AAA Tanzanite in the 3 carat range. I was thinking about a cushion, but really, I just want a high quality gem in a nice mount.

I don''t know that I''m really even asking someone to find me that exact ring, but rather a link or two to some places where I might find a ring like that.

Thanks so much! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, are you aware that a Tanzanite is rather soft and not recommended as a ring stone?
Secondly, AAA ratings are arbitarily set by the vendor and could mean anything. There is no trade accepted rating for A, AA and AAA.
Thirdly, if you want a high quality gemstone, it is best to purchase an unmounted one (to be able to view the colour, cut, clarity) then have it mounted at your jeweller''s.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, there are lots on paraibainternational.com. But why tanzanite? They are very fragile.

Austen

Rough_Rock
I did read that tanzanite is usually better as a pendant or earrings or brooch. My wife already has some nice tanzanite earrings, and doesn''t wear much in the way of pendants or brooches, so I was looking for a ring.

Why tanzanite? I suppose because she likes it a lot. I don''t know really.

I had read that for a ring that is not worn everyday and if one is careful, that they can still make nice rings. Perhaps it''s a bad idea. I did not know about the arbitrary nature of the ratings.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I am a neophyte when it comes to jewelry, but I learned a ton about diamonds and got some great advice here when buying a new ering for our 15th anniversary, so I thought I would check back for some tanzanite info.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some tanzanite rings in person but I know there are some jewellers who will not set a tanzanite in a ring. I''m not a fan of tanzanite and thus am not surre who are the best vendors. I do agree that Paraiba International carries a lot of tanzanites in their inventory.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 3:04:51 PM
Author: Austen
I did read that tanzanite is usually better as a pendant or earrings or brooch. My wife already has some nice tanzanite earrings, and doesn''t wear much in the way of pendants or brooches, so I was looking for a ring.

Why tanzanite? I suppose because she likes it a lot. I don''t know really.

I had read that for a ring that is not worn everyday and if one is careful, that they can still make nice rings. Perhaps it''s a bad idea. I did not know about the arbitrary nature of the ratings.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I am a neophyte when it comes to jewelry, but I learned a ton about diamonds and got some great advice here when buying a new ering for our 15th anniversary, so I thought I would check back for some tanzanite info.
Well, I have a ton of Tanzanite rings!!! I do wear them, although not daily. I''m careful when cleaning them (don''t get them anywhere near an ultrasonic or very hot/very cold water). If you treat them gently, then they''ll be fine. Tanzanite seems to have got a bad press in the past few years but if you''re aware of the downsides then your ring will last a long time! Many people actually have Tanzanite as e-rings.

I do agree with some of the other posters however who have recommended getting a loose stone and having it set. You can buy ready made rings but it may work out the same $wise to have one made! Try www.lapigems.com they''ve got some of the best Tanzanite (and I''ve seen some of it in person). I''d also recommend www.multicolour.com but they have all differing levels of quality so you need to find one you like and then email for a description.

One other point to mention. When you find a loose stone and are deciding to have it set, there is a risk of chipping/cracking during the setting process so you MUST choose an experienced benchman/jeweller to do the work for you.

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite.asp

I'm not sure how reliable they, or their stones, are but they seem like they have beautiful pieces.

On another, yet similar, note, I have a tanzanite ring I often wear on my right and haven't had one single issue with it being "too soft". I'm right handed so that hand gets the brunt of everything and the stone and surrounding diamonds are just fine.

Austen

Rough_Rock
I actually looked at www.lapigems.com and I love some of their gems.

But I have enough stories on here about people having their stones damaged while being set. It just kind of scares me. As I mentioned, I am a complete neophyte and I have no idea where to begin with finding a good reliable jeweler to set it.
7.gif

buggysmama

Rough_Rock
I bought a tanzanite stone from www.lapigems.com a couple of months ago. I received exactly what they said that they were shipping to me. And my local jeweler confirmed that it was the stone that lapigems said it was. the stone is currently being set by a local jeweler in a bezel setting. Just make sure that your wife doesn''t wear the ring while going yard work, washing dishes, and lots of stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results