shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me buy a strand of pearls for my husband

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's a bit too private for internet photos, but he's been very much enjoying a necklace of jade (or jadelike) beads, a silver bracelet, and a selection of brooches he adopted from my collection. (He wears these items one at a time.) I confess I haven't yet strung his pearls--I need to get the right size silk.

Have you considered using Serafil / Beader's Secret instead of silk? I stopped using silk altogether. The polyester thread is strong, silky feeling, doesn't stretch and isn't weakened by getting wet. It's easy to knot without tools and if a stray knot happens where you don't want it, it can be picked out (nearly impossible with silk.)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This all sounds wonderful and exactly up my alley. Where does he wear the brooches? On jackets?

Yes, on his lapel. Next time we go to a brooch-worthy occasion, I'll see if I can get him to let me take a discreet lapel photo.

Meanwhile, here he is with the bracelet I gave him. I got it at a flea market. It's hollow gilded silver, beautifully handmade. I believe it's actually an Indian armlet--it's WAYWAYWAY too big for my wrist--falls right off. (OMG why isn't he wearing his wedding band in this photo?! I must have taken the photo in the morning before he put the ring back on.)

IMG_7783.jpeg

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, on his lapel. Next time we go to a brooch-worthy occasion, I'll see if I can get him to let me take a discreet lapel photo.

Meanwhile, here he is with the bracelet I gave him. I got it at a flea market. It's hollow gilded silver, beautifully handmade. I believe it's actually an Indian armlet--it's WAYWAYWAY too big for my wrist--falls right off. (OMG why isn't he wearing his wedding band in this photo?! I must have taken it in the morning before he put it back on.)

IMG_7783.jpeg

And he gave me permission to post this photo of him wearing my Pearl Paradise multicolor metallic freshwater pearls--my necklace and bracelet linked together to make them long enough. Lousy lighting in this photo--the colors are much less muddy than this. I love these pearls in their box, but they somehow don't look good on my skin, so I rarely wear them. I should restring them as a single necklace and give them to him.

IMG_3104.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And he gave me permission to post this photo of him wearing my Pearl Paradise multicolor metallic freshwater pearls--my necklace and bracelet linked together to make them long enough. Lousy lighting in this photo--the colors are much less muddy than this. I love these pearls in their box, but they somehow don't look good on my skin, so I rarely wear them. I should restring them as a single necklace and give them to him.

IMG_3104.jpeg

That's so cool! I wish I could get my hubby into some pearls or anything really. All he will wear is his wedding band and watch. He is way into watches, though.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

IMG_3104.jpeg

I got him to put on his "jade" beads for you guys (I'm told these are not actually jade, but a related material called dushan jade):

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

And here are the brooches I decorate his lapel with on fancy occasions. The light one is a c. 1900 silver gilt brooch from Sri Lanka set with natural rose-cut zircons (these are often sold incorrectly as 18th century European or English paste). I have a small version I wear to be companionable. The others are late-Victorian rose-cut Bohemian (pyrope) garnets. He wears these brooches one at a time.

IMG_8264.jpeg

And here are the backs--I always want to see the backs myself to understand the construction. Pen for scale. I need to replace the missing glass on the big garnet brooch's locket section and put our photos in it and its pendant.

IMG_8263.jpeg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He was just headed out the door and I made him take a pic. Note the octopus belt buckle.

This is so great! And I love that belt buckle! This is more what I am accustomed to seeing -- in terms of man-bling -- in our half of the country.

And pearls are just the grown-up version of the puka shell necklaces boys wore in the '80s, right?

Nice to see jewelry on men getting some more exposure!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got him to put on his "jade" beads for you guys (I'm told these are not actually jade, but a related material called dushan jade):

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

And here are the brooches I decorate his lapel with on fancy occasions. The light one is a c. 1900 silver gilt brooch from Sri Lanka set with natural rose-cut zircons (these are often sold incorrectly as 18th century European or English paste). I have a small version I wear to be companionable. The others are late-Victorian rose-cut Bohemian (pyrope) garnets. He wears these brooches one at a time.

IMG_8264.jpeg

And here are the backs--I always want to see the backs myself to understand the construction. Pen for scale. I need to replace the missing glass on the big garnet brooch's locket section and put our photos in it and its pendant.

IMG_8263.jpeg

oh my God
i think ive died
1713036994430.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loving these images. I do t collect brooches because I don’t really wear anything where I could attach them, but wearing them on a blazer is brilliant.

And I’m loving these examples! I am taking notes. I think my husband needs some bracelets and a metal bead necklace and I also want to get him a cool hat. And a nice statement ring. He usually wears suspenders and docs and I think a little more bling would tie things together.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it has been my wish that HM King Charles would delve into his mother's brooch collection

he has however dusted off tie pins and watch chains which he wears very well
1713037838814.png

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8264.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

Those beads look so great! I love the cool mint color.
And the brooches are perfect for a guy's lapel!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
because we have gone way off topic i will try to contain myself to just one picture
But Bruce Springsteen has worn a lot of jewellery
1713037624222.jpeg
never seen him in pearls though

unfortunatly my Gary does not wear any jewellery
he was a builder/joiner his whole working life and he had seen too many nasty accidents to ever want to wear jewellery :(2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
because we have gone way off topic i will try to contain myself to just one picture
But Bruce Springsteen has worn a lot of jewellery
1713037624222.jpeg
never seen him in pearls though

unfortunatly my Gary does not wear any jewellery
he was a builder/joiner his whole working life and he had seen too many nasty accidents to ever want to wear jewellery :(2

Bruce wears it well!
And you know I have a soft spot for that awesome turquoise cuff......

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8264.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

Wow, fabulous brooches!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Dreamer_D
Is this finery? Here in the west, this is everyday glam!
My DH loves hats, rings, belt buckles and bracelets, but not necklaces.
@glitterata....He says "no" to pearls!

He was just headed out the door and I made him take a pic. Note the octopus belt buckle.
IMG_20240413_093240482.jpg

@stracci2000 out of interest, did you make any of these fantastic pieces that your husband is wearing?

The octopus is v v v cool!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 out of interest, did you make any of these fantastic pieces that your husband is wearing?

The octopus is v v v cool!

Yes, I made the turquoise ring and the variscite ring (the light green stone with black matrix). It has a snake wrapped around it.
I also made the one on his pinky, which is a diffusion treated star sapphire. I bought the stone 20 years ago, before I knew better! It does have a pretty star, though.

The narrow bracelet belonged to his grandmother, and the other bracelet he purchased from a local Navajo silversmith. They are similar styles so they work together. He layers jewelry way better than me!

I forget where he bought the octopus buckle. Í did not make the skull ring.
1713126560947.png

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa, that belt buckle is SO cool! I'd love one!

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I made the turquoise ring and the variscite ring (the light green stone with black matrix). It has a snake wrapped around it.
I also made the one on his pinky, which is a diffusion treated star sapphire. I bought the stone 20 years ago, before I knew better! It does have a pretty star, though.

The narrow bracelet belonged to his grandmother, and the other bracelet he purchased from a local Navajo silversmith. They are similar styles so they work together. He layers jewelry way better than me!

I forget where he bought the octopus buckle. Í did not make the skull ring.
1713126560947.png

that man needs a record deal ! ;)2:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results