shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!Maybe Jeweler damaged ring & Jewelers Mutual is no help

marjie978

Rough_Rock
I need your help. I'm less than thrilled that my Jewelers Mutual claims rep, Stephanie Monroe, has been of zero help.

So here's the story. Over a week ago, I went to look at floral arrangements and decided it was best to take off my platinum sapphire engagement ring and place it in the breast pocket of my jean jacket. I didn't want it to get dinged while handling large pots and plants. I put my ring in the jacket and placed the ring on the passenger seat of my car. Once I was done shopping, I hopped back into my car, without a care in the world and simply just the feeling of bliss knowing I checked off flowers on the wedding checklist, took a sip of my coffee and spilled it all over myself and the jean jacket on the seat beside me. I shook off the jacket of the excess coffee, hopped back in the car and drove home. I got home, threw the jacket and nothing else into the washing machine, got back into the car to run more errands. I didn't realize what I had done until I was in the middle of running errands. Panicked, could not find the ring in the wash when I got home. Had a plumber come out as soon as possible. He cut a huge hole in my wall to check the trap and no ring. Hubby did some more online digging to try to rip apart the washer himself. Had a friend help me look and she found the sapphire in a crevice of my jean jacket that I had mistaken for a rivet in the jacket and hubby found the setting in the rubber gasket of our front load washer. Quickly looking at it, I noticed that all of the prongs were bent, there was a diamond missing on the side of the ring, and a chipped diamond on once corner of the halo. I never noticed a crack in the band.

I took it to Barmakian's in Nashua, NH to be repaired. The gentleman that took it it (Jose) looked over my ring and weighed my stone. He wrote on the slip "rebuild prongs & replace missing & chipped diamonds". Jose never mentioned a crack in the band. Jose told me the ring would be ready in a week.

I went back yesterday and was helped by Associate Joya. She handed the ring back to me and I immediately noticed the crack in the band and the fact that my ring was shaped like an oval. Joya told me that the crack is where it was sized. I told her the ring has never been sized and that is why there are sizer beads in the ring (it was a single cast). Side note, I am the second owner of the ring (spoken to Jeweler that made the ring and original owner and both have said ring has never been sized). Joya, the Associate, then told me that my finger could have made the ring oval from wear over time. I told her that I've had the ring for 2 short years and take the ring off often and for extended periods of time and I don't think that is the reason. The ring is a gosh darn goose egg!!!!! No way did my finger do that. I told her that I will not be taking the ring and will need to speak to my Insurance to see how to proceed.

I called my Jeweler's Mutual rep, Stephanie, this morning and explained the situation to her. She told me:
1) I need to go back and talk to Barmakian's jeweler and ask them how they can fix it. (I think they will want to laser it to fix the repair which is not satisfactory for me. I want it replaced)
2) She told me I was jumping to conclusions and needed to deal with Barmakian's first and see what the opinion of their Jeweler is first. (Isn't that like the fox guarding the hen house? I don't think they will admit and take fault at all.)
3) She told me that my insurance...Jewelers Mutual, is not responsible for damage caused by Barmakian's and that I would have to pursue then civilly . That there was nothing she could do on my behalf. That this was strictly between myself and Barmakian's. (I was so upset with my call that had hubby call back for clarification and come to find out that they are the insurer for Barmakian's as well). I've never dealt with jewelry insurance before but isn't it like car insurance, both insurance companies talk to each other and figure out who and how much is at fault? Isn't that part of the reason they stand to exist? I feel like Jeweler's Mutual is leaving me in a ditch and telling me to figure it out.
4) As I was talking to Stephanie, I kept talking about the structural integrity of the ring and possibly compromising the diamonds. She kept saying that she was not a jeweler and could not speak to that. I asked her if there was a Jeweler on staff at Jeweler's Mutual. She said yes, I asked if I could speak to that person, and She told me "NO"!!!! Stephanie said their Jeweler doesn't deal with rings. Excuse me! Jeweler's Mutual specializes in the underwriting of jewelry (all encompassing of baubles WHICH includes rings) and they have a jeweler on staff BUT does not deal with rings?!!!! This is complete and utter rubbish! Makes me wonder what Jeweler's is good for then.

I am wholly unhappy with the call I had with Stephanie Monroe at Jeweler's Mutual.

Hubby called and Spoke to Stephanie after my call and basically told me there are two avenue I can pursue:
1) I can chalk it up to the washing machine that caused the damage and file it against my policy.
I don't like this at all because I don't recall the crack in my ring when I dropped if off and worry about my premium going up.

2) I can pin it all on Barmakian's and try to get them to file a claim against their policy and make thing right by either repair or replacement.

My questions for everyone is:
1) Who should be responsible?
2) Is the ring compromised enough to need to be replace completely? I worry about having to deal with the ring cracking continually in the future if they simply band-aid it by laser.
3) Am I crazy or does anyone else find that Jeweler's Mutual is offering less than stellar customer service on this issue?

I don't write that many review online but I was very unhappy with both parties and had no where to turn to for help.

I really appreciate your responses.

Sapphire%20on%20the%20Cape.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results