shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Lost my ring and starting over...

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - I recently lost my engagement ring at the beach, and I’m beyond devastated. Thank goodness I have insurance, but now I need to start over and it’s a daunting task. I would love your help finding an amazing round diamond under $40k (closer to $30k would be ideal).

Cut is really important to me - I want another eye clean sparkle bomb, and I’d like to go as big as I can afford carat-wise. I’m willing to go down to J in color if needed (but perhaps with fluorescence at that level in an effort to make it face up as white as possible). I found a couple on Blue Nile in the low 4-carat range that look good, but I would love this team’s help to get your thoughts. Or if anyone knows of a better option I’m all ears! Just need to make sure the vendor is open to working with insurance.

thank you!!!!!

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about your loss! Given your budget, I'd recommend looking at the super ideal vendors - Whiteflash ACA, Brian Gavin Diamonds, HPD, etc.

Thank you for the suggestions. What is HPD? I don't recognize that one from when I used to frequent these boards. :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HPD is High Performance Diamonds. They sell Crafted by Infinity diamonds.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
If cut is very important to you then, as @MRBXXXFVVS1 suggested, above super ideal vendors are a way to go. However, for the selected budget, you will not find a 4ct with those vendors. So it would have to a compromise between either the size or the cut (if super-ideal.)

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
If cut is very important to you then, as @MRBXXXFVVS1 suggested, above super ideal vendors are a way to go. However, for the selected budget, you will not find a 4ct with those vendors. So it would have to a compromise between either the size or the cut (if super-ideal.)

Ok, that makes sense. Blue Nile doesn't work with insurance companies if you didn't get your ring through them so that one's off the list anyway!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely agree that with your budget you should get the best possible cut (especially since you say cut is most important). I would be looking at whiteflash "a cut above" or "expert selection", or high performance diamonds. As others said, these stones come at a cost so you won't be able to find a 4ct option in J+ color, but IMHO a smaller better cut stone will look as good or better than a bigger worse cut stone. The last few you linked from BN were not well cut.

If you'd like to find a bigger stone (And not go with a super ideal cut from WF or HPD), then stay within the following parameters:
table: 54-58 or 59
depth: 60 - 62.4
crown angle: 34-35 (sometimes 35.5 if the pav angle is 40.6
pavillion angle: 40.6-40.8 (sometimes 41 if the crown is 34

Then run them through the HCA calculator (under tools) to make sure that they score under 2 (which means the angles work nicely together).

The nice thing about WF "a cut above" or HPD is that you don't need to run anything through the HCA calculator or worry about cut, since they are already the best possible cut.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of a generous upgrade program!! I saw this one on Whiteflash, which is just slightly shy of their A Cut Above ranking...but it's not eligible for the upgrade program. I'm going to keep looking!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of a generous upgrade program!! I saw this one on Whiteflash, which is just slightly shy of their A Cut Above ranking...but it's not eligible for the upgrade program. I'm going to keep looking!

Don't look at any of the "virtual selection" ones. They are not close to "a cut above", and are not eligible for any upgrades. Only look for "in house" options, which includes "a cut above", "expert selction", and "premium select".

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should add that the premium select ones are GIA certified, whereas the other two "ES" and "ACA" are AGS certified. But the nice thing is that all of the "in house" ones have IS images, ASET images, videos, etc. And are all physically owned by whiteflash so they can visually inspect for you, compare stones for you, etc. Most other vendors (blue nile, james allen, etc) are drop shippers and do not physically own their inventory.

HPD is the same, but only sell one kind of stone which is the equivalent of ACA so there's no guesswork.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Should add that the premium select ones are GIA certified, whereas the other two "ES" and "ACA" are AGS certified. But the nice thing is that all of the "in house" ones have IS images, ASET images, videos, etc. And are all physically owned by whiteflash so they can visually inspect for you, compare stones for you, etc. Most other vendors (blue nile, james allen, etc) are drop shippers and do not physically own their inventory.

HPD is the same, but only sell one kind of stone which is the equivalent of ACA so there's no guesswork.

Ok thank you. I think that stone above is physically with Yoni, just found it on their site. I will keep looking with all of this helpful info, I really appreciate it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok thank you. I think that stone above is physically with Yoni, just found it on their site. I will keep looking with all of this helpful info, I really appreciate it!

If someone physically has it then they can take pics/videos. The issue is that without those things then an SI2 in such a large size is VERY risky. It seems doubtful that it will be eye clean, which isn't great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think your best bet is to get a 3ct ideal cut stone from WF or HPD and then upgrade to 4ct down the road since they have a $1 upgrade policy. Otherwise you'll end up settling for something that isn't perfect (either not eye clean or lower color than you want, or not ideal cut, etc).

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I honestly think your best bet is to get a 3ct ideal cut stone from WF or HPD and then upgrade to 4ct down the road since they have a $1 upgrade policy. Otherwise you'll end up settling for something that isn't perfect (either not eye clean or lower color than you want, or not ideal cut, etc).

That's probably true. I'm poking around tonight and will call them tomorrow to see what the best options might be. Thanks so much!!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I've been talking to Whiteflash and they've been amazing! I should have stopped while I was ahead though, because then I stumbled upon antique cushions / OMCs and now I'm SO CONFUSED.

These are two completely different directions and I can imagine myself with both. A white, perfect ideal round, and a warm, chunky, glowy OMC. Any advice as to how I should decide?

I'm the most indecisive person ever and I did not expect I'd have to start making big decisions like this again when it came to jewelry!!!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I've been talking to Whiteflash and they've been amazing! I should have stopped while I was ahead though, because then I stumbled upon antique cushions / OMCs and now I'm SO CONFUSED.

These are two completely different directions and I can imagine myself with both. A white, perfect ideal round, and a warm, chunky, glowy OMC. Any advice as to how I should decide?

I'm the most indecisive person ever and I did not expect I'd have to start making big decisions like this again when it came to jewelry!!!

Does anyone have general guidelines for picking out a good OMC? I know it's difficult since the cuts are so unique...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results