shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Just bought ring on e-bay, too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nervousintexas

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I just purchased a 1.67ct diamond solitaire on e-bay for $405. It almost seems too good to be true, but the seller is a "power seller" with a 99.5% aproval rating so it seems legit. I was wondering if some of you experts could take a look at it and tell me what you think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2645494118

In addition, I need to have it re-set in white gold, any suggestions on how to handle this on a local level with out upsetting the jeweler since the diamond was purchaed elswhere? Finally, how much would you guess it would cost if I sold him the old setting?

I would greatly apreciate any help that anyone could give. Thanks, Nervous in Texas.
6.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
You do realize that a I2/I3 clarity diamond is going to look like crushed rock quartz don't you? And J/K color is pretty yellow... Long story short, you just got what you paid for, we're afraid that there isn't any gentle way to break this to you so forgive us for being blunt... Most jewelers are going to refuse to touch the stone for fear of shattering it during the unsetting and setting process... I2/I3 is one step above industrial grade, we hope that the seller offers a return policy because we have a feeling that you're going to pass out when you open the box.

buyandselljewelry

Rough_Rock
this diamond wont break upon setting, see if its pleasnt to the eye upon recieving, if so, your ok!
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2003 1:24
6.gif
5 AM buyandselljewelry wrote:

this diamond wont break upon setting
----------------

Who says that? I'm sorry to say that an I 3 (cause that stone is I 3 and not I 2 to me) is very likely to break during resetting, if the jeweler won't be careful.

As soon as you receive the package, let us know how it looks.

BTW, they even have some ideal cut diamonds with very respectable HCA scores!
eek.gif

8*flash

Rough_Rock
Oh my, that is indeed too good to be true. And I'm afraid you have little recourse since you are certainly getting what the seller advertised. I3? OUCH. Thankfully you are only out $400. It could have been alot worse.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2003 1:24
6.gif
5 AM buyandselljewelry wrote:

this diamond wont break upon setting, see if its pleasnt to the eye upon recieving, if so, your ok!

wavey.gif

----------------
We beg to differ! It is quite possible for a diamond to be damaged during the setting process and the odds increase substantially with heavily included stones which I2/I3 certainly qualify as "heavily included" and the pictures posted for that diamond show extensive feathering running through the stone so we think it's fair to say that the risk for damage during the unsetting and setting process is reasonably high... It is clear that you "buyandsell" but do you "buysellandset"?
2.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to all of the above. You got what you paid for, and I'd say it was legit based on the photos and this line in the description:

"Clarity: I2/I3, obvious eye visible inclusions"

Frankly, I'd leave it in the existing setting. It's not worth the cost of resetting, and as niceice says, you never know what's going to happen with a stone that heavily included. Certainly no reputable jeweler is going to work on it without getting a release of liability first. In fact, I'm certain you're setting yourself up for a lecture about the risks of buying diamonds over the internet.
At least it was only $400.

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
Did you notice the large black inclusion in the left corner of the stone? Just a little too obvious for me. JMHO

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Nervous,

It appears your seller does have a return policy that is not contingent on them misrepresenting the item. But you have a very short time in which to return. When you get the ring, if you don't like the look of the stone IN ITS CURRENT SETTING, you'd better contact that seller immediately to preserve your rights! Presumably, he earned his high feedback by being true to his word, and if he lets you return it as advertised then he deserves more good feedback in fact! (The ring does appear to be accurately described.)

So you might only be out the cost of shipping, assuming, (as most of us are,) that you don't want the ring once you see it.
1.gif

-Melissa

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Furthermore... LOLOLOLOL
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2003 12
6.gif
6:23 PM Furthermore wrote:

PS

"Appraised Value: $4840.00"

Who appraised it ? Ray Charles and Helen Keller ? ;-))

Well. $400 is $400 - and if it comes and you like it.... ;-)))) Hope you do. ;-)) But, er, $4840 appraised value ?

Furthermore ;-))
----------------

Furthermore, LOL!!!!!!!!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my Furthermore...that made me laugh
2.gif

It is very likely the diamond will be a serious eyesore, the symmetry looks really chopped in the picture, at least it was only $400! It could be a nice paperweight or a toy for the kids? Or you could just return it and call it a lesson learned.

The seller probably has great feedback because he represents his items correctly (e.g. obvious inclusions). Also it looks like he sells some really nice stones besides this one. One interesting thing to note that gets negative marks for me is that he tilts all of his pictures of the stones so that you can't see straight down into the stone. Hard to find eye visible inclusions in a tilted stone in a picture.

Nice 3 and 4c stones *drool*...

1.gif
Good luck!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2003 12:37
6.gif
2 PM Mara wrote:

One interesting thing to note that gets negative marks for me is that he tilts all of his pictures of the stones so that you can't see straight down into the stone. Hard to find eye visible inclusions in a tilted stone in a picture.

----------------

Well, no amount of tilt is going to hide that huge black inclusion (probably magnetite, hematite or some other iron compound) up in the corner.
naughty.gif

But he gets good marks from me for being honest and not overselling a chunk of boart like some ebayers do.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2003 12
6.gif
6:23 PM Furthermore wrote:
Who appraised it ? Ray Charles and Helen Keller ? ;-))

----------------

Unlikely since HK is dead.

3.gif
But either them or a maul jeweler. It's actually not that far off for a low-end mall store. PS has a few stones in that range for around $1800. Add the setting, double the price for the mall venue, and add 50% for a mall "appraisal" and that would put you around $4800. So in a sense, Nervous got herself a deal after all.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely LG...but for the stones such as his better cut ones that seem to mostly be SI3...that is an EGL grade so it may even be borderline I1...it's hard to see the inclusions in some of these stones because of the tilt. Makes for a potential unhappy customer when they open they box to see SI3/borderline I1 inclusions in their expensive stone.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I've seen plenty of women out there wearing I2-3 stones...
it's not that uncommon here.

Trichrome.

guslik

Shiny_Rock
Hello everybody!
I understand that people who come to this forum get a lot of diamond knowledge eventually.
I live in Houston and believe me have many female friends that own e-ring. Things I noticed
1) they don’t have any idea about color / clarity/ cut etc.
2) they only know carat weight (not exact though)
3) they are not able to see OBVIOUS inclusions in their stones.
4) These e-ring were bought from local stores here in Houston which basically means they sell stones that are not any better than the stone Nervousintexas bought for $400, only these stores charge at least $1999 for I2/I3 stones.
I just wanted to calm down Nervousintexas , nothing bad happened to her , she can always return this stone if she does not like it and maybe this purchase from e-bay will get Nervousintexas to read more about diamonds and to became a pro one day
2.gif
, after all, no one on this forum was born with a lot of knowledge about diamonds.
Just my 2 cents

9.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/17/2003 1:31:58 AM Furthermore wrote:
Helen Keller is dead ? Does she know ??

Furthermore
11.gif
----------------
She's been dead since 1968, so I hope so.
3.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/17/2003 11:14:53 AM guslik wrote:
I live in Houston and believe me have many female friends that own e-ring. Things I noticed
2) they only know carat weight (not exact though)

----------------

I grew up in Houston during the '80s (showing my age here). Interesting to see that things haven't much changed. So much in Texas seems to be about size, i.e., the biggest truck, the biggest house, the biggest diamond, etc., without concern for anything else. Back then, during the Oil Bust years, the local blood sport was guessing which overextended developer was going to go bankrupt next because of some colossal office building he'd thrown up that was now at 10% occupancy. You'd think people would learn eventually.

11.gif

princesscut

Rough_Rock
Hello! WOW what a deal!! Did it come with a GIA certification?

Nate

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/17/2003 11:36:20 AM LawGem wrote:
I grew up in Houston during the '80s (showing my age here)
----------------
Wow, I was born in the 80s!
11.gif

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Good god, I remember when I used to be young...oh wait, no I don't.

-spencer

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/17/2003 7:45:54 PM Nate wrote:

Wow, I was born in the 80s!
11.gif

----------------
Nate, thank you SO MUCH. I am now officially depressed.

SIGH.

15.gif
11.gif
9.gif
6.gif

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Nate, that means you're waaay too young to get married!
2.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Hehe...
9.gif
10.gif

Too young? I'm turning 23 in 8 days! I'm getting old!!
3.gif
But I found the most wonderful person so, what can I do?
1.gif
Since this thread is totally hijacked anyway...

jen6fixed2.jpg

Such a smile!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Plus I'd have to wait another year for the old car insurance premium reduction, I hear getting married does that.
9.gif
lickout.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh the beauty of young love.....

23 is way too young to get married, you don't even know who you REALLY ARE yet (wait...that never changes...nevermind!!)

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results