shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is this taper way off and diamond set too low?

sonice

Rough_Rock
So, I wasn't supposed to see the ring but the bf thought something looked off with the shank and wanted my thoughts. Sigh. When I first saw it, I thought the shank was maybe out of round but after looking a bit more, I think the taper doesn't match on both sides. He is also wondering if the diamond is set too low.

I agree that the taper is off - I'm not sure if it should be sent back or what the course of action might be? As far as the diamond being set low, I'm on the fence.

What are your thoughts?

_2916.jpeg

_2943.jpeg

_2944.jpeg

_2945.jpeg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hard to tell about the taper from your photos. In the second picture, it looks like maybe something is not quite right; but the ring looks lovely on your hand, and I can't see anything wrong there. The shank looks symmetrical in the hand shots as far as I can see. Maybe another poster who is more discerning than me may have another opinion, though.
I like low settings, so I might be biased, but it doesn't look too low to me. The proportions of your ring in side view look great. And don't forget, a diamond that's set high is more likely to get banged around in every day wear, hard to wear with gloves in winter, if this applies to you.
All in all, I think your ring is beautiful!

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
In your first picture, something does look curious on the top part but again it's hard to tell. I don't think the diamond is set too low but the prong tips seem thicker and maybe that's what's giving the visual appearance of it looking like it's set low.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The first picture looks like a different ring???!!!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Many don't feel this way, but for me there is no too low. Low is best for some.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the first picture there does look like maybe there is a more flatter area on the top then on the bottom so it is not reflecting light the
same way.

I* do not feel like it is set to low...it is a large stone to start with and higher is going to make it get in the way more and might make
it spin more.

sonice

Rough_Rock
Garnetgirl|1460645076|4019226 said:
Hard to tell about the taper from your photos. In the second picture, it looks like maybe something is not quite right; but the ring looks lovely on your hand, and I can't see anything wrong there. The shank looks symmetrical in the hand shots as far as I can see. Maybe another poster who is more discerning than me may have another opinion, though.
I like low settings, so I might be biased, but it doesn't look too low to me. The proportions of your ring in side view look great. And don't forget, a diamond that's set high is more likely to get banged around in every day wear, hard to wear with gloves in winter, if this applies to you.
All in all, I think your ring is beautiful!

Thanks, Garnetgirl! I appreciate your feedback. It's so difficult to take decent photos of it. It's definitely more obvious when looking in real life. Hopefully I can take some better photos once I receive the ring.

septembergirl said:
In your first picture, something does look curious on the top part but again it's hard to tell. I don't think the diamond is set too low but the prong tips seem thicker and maybe that's what's giving the visual appearance of it looking like it's set low.

In the first picture, it's on the top (or right if I rotate the photo correctly), second photo it's on the left, third and fourth photos it's on the right. I think it's almost like it's flat on one side and more rounded on the other? Thank you for your input, septembergirl!

upgradingmama said:

I really need to take some better photos then because it's all the same ring lol

Sagefemme said:
Many don't feel this way, but for me there is no too low. Low is best for some.

Thanks, Sage! I could never go for a cathedral setting but I also think some can be "squatty" looking. I don't think it looks squatty, however.

sonice

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1460647132|4019246 said:
In the first picture there does look like maybe there is a more flatter area on the top then on the bottom so it is not reflecting light the
same way.

I* do not feel like it is set to low...it is a large stone to start with and higher is going to make it get in the way more and might make
it spin more.

Thanks for your reply, tyty! Yes, I think you're exactly right! The one side is flatter. I'm not sure which is the norm, flat or maintaining the roundness. Either way, it seems both sides should match. It stands out a lot to me in person when the ring is not on my finger but is not so obvious when it's on. I'd hate to send it back, but I also don't want it to bother me everyday.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to tell by the photos, but in the first one it looks like one shoulder is slightly taller than the other. But if you are seeing something off, there probably is. I love a low set stone, so for me it's perfect, but you may like a higher set stone. I guess that's up to you ::) .

As big of a pain it is, I would send it back because like you said, it will always bug you!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low is awesome, unless the culet touches your finger :lol:
That having been said, it is a personal preference.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you're talking about, that would bother me.

The height seems perfect to me though, mine is set this low and I never bang it on anything. HOWEVER, if you want your diamond to look bigger, you can have it set higher ;-)

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1460645341|4019230 said:
OK, my computer must have had something cached.... it's the right image now. TOTALLY not what I was seeing before... Ignore me! That said, I think it's not too low at all.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1460658192|4019308 said:
upgradingmama|1460645341|4019230 said:
OK, my computer must have had something cached.... it's the right image now. TOTALLY not what I was seeing before... Ignore me! That said, I think it's not too low at all.

Upgradingmama, it wasn't just you, I was seeing a different ring too…the images are the right ones now.

I don't think the stone is set too low - I do see a very slight difference in the shoulders, and if you think it's going to bug you it's probably worth it to have it fixed.

sonice

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for the replies! I feel a lot more confident with the height now. I'll let him know it's not an issue.
After I receive the ring, I guess I'll enjoy it for a bit and then send it back :(

That's so weird the pictures were incorrect. I'm glad they're fixed now.

I was looking through the (not so great) photos I took last night that may have captured the flat taper a little better because of how the light is hitting the metal.

_3048.jpeg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of people like it low and close to the finger. That's one of the points of that style of head. In a 'traditional' solitaire style setting the head comes to a point below the stone. That's the structural part of the piece that holds the prongs together. Obviously there's a minimum possible height that has to do with the thickness of the stone, the thickness of that junction, and whatever arrangement is made for the shank. If we're starting with a stone that's 6mm thick, add another 4mm for all of this other stuff and that can get pretty tall. The head you have joins around an open space at the bottom so the culet of the stone can come close to touching the finger. Again, nearly everyone who buys this style sees that as a feature, not a problem.

What's good about it? It interferes less with your life. Some people use their hands a lot more than others and some, like cops or medical people who take on and off those plastic gloves 100 times a day, find the whole 'spikey ring' business very annoying. Obviously this is a matter of taste and it's different for everyone but no, I wouldn't call it a defect.

sonice

Rough_Rock
Thanks again, everyone, for your replies!

He proposed over the weekend with the funky ring. I guess he wasn't able to propose how he wanted as time seemed of the essence to get the ring fixed.

After wearing the ring a couple days and seeing the wobbly taper each time I looked down, it actually turned me off to the whole setting and the U curves of the basket. I know it's stupid.

Anyway, I emailed the vendor and said we wanted to return the setting. To my surprise, this (and apparently all settings by this vendor) is considered a custom setting and is not returnable. It is able to be fixed if fixing is deemed necessary by the vendor. This turned me off to the setting even more, somehow (again, I know it's stupid).

Long story short, we shipped the ring to a different vendor for the diamond to be re set into a different setting. I will then ship the old setting to the original vendor to be fixed. I'm not sure yet if we will hang onto it or list it for sale, assuming it is indeed fixed.

Big sigh. Can't wait for this to be over.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear you are doing a re-set of the stone! You should wear something that makes you completely happy :bigsmile:

sonice

Rough_Rock
septembergirl|1461179080|4021759 said:
Glad to hear you are doing a re-set of the stone! You should wear something that makes you completely happy :bigsmile:

Thank you so much for saying that! I really needed to hear it, lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering why it was considered custom? Did they let your BF know it was going to be custom?

I am glad that you found something else that you like and are going to move on! Just put this little bump in the
road behind you and enjoy your new ering when you get it.

Post pics!

sonice

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1461184677|4021803 said:
I was wondering why it was considered custom? Did they let your BF know it was going to be custom?

I am glad that you found something else that you like and are going to move on! Just put this little bump in the
road behind you and enjoy your new ering when you get it.

Post pics!

Thanks, tyty! We went with the Brian Gavin Tapered Half Round. It's similar and I'm confident the taper will be fluid and not wobbly looking. Excited!

I have no idea why it was custom. Apparently all rings from this vendor are custom. Nowhere in any communication was this stated - the vendor only said this was a very popular ring that they make.

Part of an email explaining why its custom (that doesn't really make sense or make me believe it's somehow custom):
Standard means over the counter and this is done via a computer so it's hard to understand the difference. It is one of our most popular rings but it's still custom.
--

Part of another email:
I'm ready to help but all our rings are custom. I'm sorry you thought otherwise.
--

Part of another email:
Thank you and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding as it's usually assumed that all our. Rings of this style are custom.
Let me know when you'll be sending the ring. If I feel that a new ring is warranted I'll ask you to send the diamond so I can set the diamond.
--

I couldn't even reply to this. Why would anyone assume something was custom unless they drew it up themselves or made crazy modifications to a stock setting??

BGD ring can't get here soon enough! :razz:

susief

Shiny_Rock
I really would suggest you fight this. The original setting was defective as can be seen in the uneven sides, you didn't change your mind. I don't know about US law but certainly here in the UK you have a right to a refund if an item is defective. Also if it is a stock setting that is not modified, that is not custom. They sound like they're playing you and getting away with it.

Who is the vendor? (So we can avoid them).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a Vatche? I would ask for your money back. May not be an option but cant hurt.

sonice

Rough_Rock
susief said:
I really would suggest you fight this. The original setting was defective as can be seen in the uneven sides, you didn't change your mind. I don't know about US law but certainly here in the UK you have a right to a refund if an item is defective. Also if it is a stock setting that is not modified, that is not custom. They sound like they're playing you and getting away with it.

Who is the vendor? (So we can avoid them).

I'm hopeful we can work it out before it comes to posting said vendor on here. I haven't had the patience to reply to the last email yet. I'll definitely update this if things get worse.

tyty333 said:
Is it a Vatche? I would ask for your money back. May not be an option but cant hurt.

It is not a Vatche. I did ask for the money back but that's when all the "custom" came into the conversation. The only option in their eyes is to fix it if it's deemed flawed (which it clearly is).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results