shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Is this ring too good to be true?

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Searching for yellow radiant center stone, came upon this ring:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047JLV4Y/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003QK6LZE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Z5TZJEGPW5A4733SQQR

There aren't that many specs but what it does show looks good. I know my stuff, but I just wish there was more info available. I don't want my SO to spend a lot (this will be my e-ring!) but I also don't want something that looks like it could have been bought at Kohls and is diamond accent or something. What do you all think? I even emailed Ira for his opinion!

LOVE.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fabulousfindk|1309193340|2956263 said:
Searching for yellow radiant center stone, came upon this ring:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047JLV4Y/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003QK6LZE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Z5TZJEGPW5A4733SQQR

There aren't that many specs but what it does show looks good. I know my stuff, but I just wish there was more info available. I don't want my SO to spend a lot (this will be my e-ring!) but I also don't want something that looks like it could have been bought at Kohls and is diamond accent or something. What do you all think? I even emailed Ira for his opinion!

In all liklihood, if the gem isn't photoshopped to death to be a canary yellow, it's probably irradiated to artifically give it that yellow color. Hence the reason the price is so low. Artificially enhanced colored diamonds are a fraction of the cost of their natural fancy colored counterparts. ;))

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
So does that mean that the diamond itself is lab-created?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fabulousfindk|1309199895|2956359 said:
So does that mean that the diamond itself is lab-created?

It could be lab created too, but it could be a natural earth mined diamond that is enhanced in color with sub atomic particle bombardment (irradiation). The lab created yellow diamonds are not as commonplace as the irradiated ones from what I've seen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that price, including the ring and all those extra diamonds, I reeeeeeeally doubt it is a mined natural diamond with color that is of natural origin.
Like TL I also am suspicious about that pic; the color is too strong.

If you want a real natural mined diamond with color of natural origin the only way to be sure you are getting that is to look for a diamond with a lab report from a reputable lab.
GIA is the most respected.

It is possible to get the real thing without a lab report.
The smallest least-expensvie ones are not sent out for a $100+ lab report - but then you have to trust the reputation of the seller.

I've bought several fancy colored diamonds from Leibish & Co.
If I was going to trust anyone to correctly and honestly represent an FCD without a lab report I'd trust them.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net

Click on the 'ADVANCED SEARCH' button in the upper right corner and enter your color and specs.
They have around 1000 FCDs in stock.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'd reckon irradiated as well.

There's a company in the US, that I am trying to rack my brains to remember the name of, that you basically send your diamond to and they nuke it and heat it and re-nuke and re-heat to pretty much the colour of your choice! Amazing what realigning a few bits of atomic structure can do!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another who thinks irradiated OR the photo has been heavily photoshopped.

One thing I have noticed is that in the ring's description it says "Treatment = N". It doesn't explain what "N" means though. If it means no treatment then, for that price, most definitely, the photo has been doctored and the centre stone won't look that colour.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Who knows what "their" treatment codes mean? N to them night mean Nuclear. they also say the center stone is G-H.
Flim flam.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fabulousfindk,

When I read through threads like this I always wonder why so few people bother to actually contact the seller with their questions. I followed your link and found that the jeweler in question offers both treated and untreated colored diamonds. They solicit questions from potential customers and offer a 30-day guarantee on purchases. I don't know anything about the seller except their statement:

"Contemporary or traditional, treated color or natural, our diamond jewelry is backed by a 30 day guarantee. It is our honor to serve you and to ensure the most satisfying online shopping experience possible; we welcome your call. (818) 370-9099."

I know the labor and materials costs of micropave since I work in that medium, and the price for the ring seems realistic even assuming a color-treated center. If you call let us know what you learn.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, think I can chip in here and add some value.

Their description lends me to think that the center stone is irradiated, probably from a lower coloured mined stone, or a small natural light brown stone.

The description actually reads "0.37 CT Yellow Radiant Center Diamond and 0.335ct Melee in 14k Ring, Size 7." So that's the weight of the stones

Next:
"Yellow Center Clarity: VS
White (GH) Treatment code N Melee Clarity: SI1-2"

To me, those are two lines. The yellow center stone is a VS clarity gem. The white melee diamonds are coloured G to H, and have N (probably No treatment) and range in clarity from SI1 to SI2. Treatment for the WHITE MELEE is not required. Natural whites of that size range and clarity and colour are very affordable. The workmanship of a high end jeweller would cost more than the whole ring.

There is actually no misrepresentation, just that they did not state the enhancement method for the center stone.

In my honest opinion, it can't be a lab grown diamond - those cost approximately the equivalent of a natural mined white diamond give or take, and they add colour so that the price is far cheaper than equivalent fancy coloured stones.

Are you getting a real diamond? Yes. But it probably started life off in the K-Z range, or was brown and enhanced to yellow.

These are all just guesses, but they are the most logical guesses - so more than likely they are right. However, sometimes you buy a spinel and get a padparascha...

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your input! A few things:
- I would definitely prefer a paler yellow. I wish there were a way to tell how it will look when it fades!
-I've already checked fancydiamonds.net and they don't have anything comparable in their inventory right now.
-Also checked with rockdiamond.com - found another beautiful yellow radiant already set in a gorgeous micropave halo setting! For a lot more $$, but still a great deal.
-I did send the seller a list of questions, but I haven't yet received a response. Mostly I am interested to know if they have a warranty of any kind.. I will share here if I do receive a response!
-I guess I'm coming to terms with the fact that we just can't get what I want for a bargain price - I'm too cheap for this! A wonderfully helpful representative at JamesAllen also made the great suggestion that I purchase the ring of my dreams with a colored gemstone and upgrade later to a diamond.

Thank you all again for your time and help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results