shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is this a good loose diamond?

hs77

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I’m brand new here :). Looking to upgrade my engagement ring to a 2.5 carat round lab solitare… Thinking of buying a loose lab diamond from Ritani then having it set at a local jewelry with a locally bought setting. Thoughts? Here’s a lab diamond I found that looks pretty clean but I’m not sure on all the measurements etc if it is sparkly etc? If you have a better diamond you can suggest please let me know. Hoping to stay around $1700 for it. TIA!!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut and crystal on the Ritani stone aren't great.

This stone is tilted in the video, but I think it's still a good one.

hs77

Rough_Rock
Thank you

thank you so much for the reply! That one you posted is even better. What makes this other stone that you posed better? I’m a bit confused with all percent differences etc. how can you tell from the specs that it is a nicer stone? Thank you so so much!

hs77

Rough_Rock

I just watched the video on the diamond you posted- it seems to have a big black dot right in the center? Is that a concern?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just watched the video on the diamond you posted- it seems to have a big black dot right in the center? Is that a concern?

My guess is it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, but here's an alternative.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I have an SI1 with even "bigger" dots, and they aren't visible even with a loupe. This would be an eye clean stone.

Both recs from @Kim N look great!

hs77

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so so much! So I have a ring I bought at a local jeweler- lab, 1.9, e color vs2 for $3800 (diamond only) and then I could get something bigger like this online. I would keep the setting I have and have a local jeweler set it- is this a good idea or too big of a risk? About $2,000 less and almost 1/2 carat larger. Advice?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both so so much! So I have a ring I bought at a local jeweler- lab, 1.9, e color vs2 for $3800 (diamond only) and then I could get something bigger like this online. I would keep the setting I have and have a local jeweler set it- is this a good idea or too big of a risk? About $2,000 less and almost 1/2 carat larger. Advice?

Not a risk at all. I would return the pricey one from the jeweler

hs77

Rough_Rock
Also, do e
My guess is it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, but here's an alternative.

also, do you have another diamond you’d recommend I see that is also d in color around 2.4.2.5 carats? Thank you (again!)

hs77

Rough_Rock
Also, I found this one one the site you posted at it seems to be even more clean ( less dots). What do you think? Are the proportions good for high sparkle? TIA!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I found this one one the site you posted at it seems to be even more clean ( less dots). What do you think? Are the proportions good for high sparkle? TIA!

That crown angle is pretty steep at 36+. We usually recommend 34-35.

You said you already have a setting? Make sure the setting could accommodate a larger stone. Going from 1.9 to 2.5 is a big jump. You want the prongs to provide enough security.

hs77

Rough_Rock
That crown angle is pretty steep at 36+. We usually recommend 34-35.

You said you already have a setting? Make sure the setting could accommodate a larger stone. Going from 1.9 to 2.5 is a big jump. You want the prongs to provide enough security.

I will double check on the setting, I’m pretty sure it does (the head is quite large). Ok, I had a feeling that was not a good angle. Sounds like that first one you recommended is the best so far, I really want to go for the d color. Do you have another diamond you would suggest that so also a d in color? Thank you.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
At the moment, there aren't any D stones which meet your parameters. I can assure you that @Kim N's pick is eye clean, but it has to be mind clean for you. Realize these videos are magnified greatly!

You can keep checking the site over the next few weeks, as new diamonds appear all the time. But for now, looks like we tapped out that site. There are other sites, but this one usually has the lowest prices.

hs77

Rough_Rock
Ok I will keep an eye out. Thank you so much for your help. I reallly appreciate it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results