shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - Is this a good diamond??

ezraheadstone

Rough_Rock
Hi People,

I need some advice please about diamond etc. 1st time buying diamonds online. I have read the 4C's etc but still confused with the angles etc.

Below is the diamond i am looking at (online). Could anyone advise if its a good diamond for light/sparkle return?

I have attached photos from the jeweller website.

Weight: 0.70ct
Colour: F
Clarity: VVS1
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Measurements: 5.66x5.68x3.53 mm
Table: 57%
Depth: 62.2%
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet: None
Clarity Characteristics: Pinpoint

Thank you in advance
Ezra

diamond_image2.jpg

diamond_88.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get an aset image for it? We usually try to stay in 34-35 degrees for crown. This might be just fine with the low pavilion
angle but would be nice to see an aset if you can get one.

Also, you are very high on the clarity...you can drop down to VS1 easily and still be eye-clean...could maybe save you some money
or possibly go for larger stone. Or...if you just like high clarity...no problem! :))

ezraheadstone

Rough_Rock
Hi tyty333,

Thanks for your comment.

Apparently i was told to get min F and min VVS1 Clarity by my partner! :|

I don' t think i can get the aset image..believe the diamond is not in jeweller store physically and i have to pay $$ to call in the diamond for store assessment.

By photos i supplied alone, would that be a better chance of it being a good or bad diamond?

Thanks
Ezra

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
Well from the angles the diamond would fall into an ags ideal for the cut. The hearts and arrows shows symmetry which is excellent on this diamond. What website is it on and which lab did the grading? If you're buying a diamond online it is important to have a reputable lab grading the diamond and a good return policy for saftey.

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
Also unless you're looking at your diamond under a mincroscope a vs2 or higher will be fine as long as it is from a reputable lab.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask her if she wants a .70 stone in that clarity or a larger "as long as its eye-clean" stone. VS1 stones are almost always eye clean; VS2s are usually eye clean; SI1s can also be eye clean. Each step down is a price drop.

ezraheadstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies above..

it is from GIA lab..Link below..

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6177604111

She wants cheapest but best quality which is impossible! :D

Was initially looking at 0.5 then 0.55 then 0.6 then i saw this 0.7 which of course by amateur eyes looks significantly bigger..

After reading many threads - it seems the only issue would probably be the crown angle a bit too steep..damn it..maybe thats why the price is slightly less compared to other 0.7 stones..

Cheers

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Ezra,

I would consider taking your partner to look at some diamonds at other color grades, while D-E-F are 'colorless' the 'near colorless' grades of G-H-I-J for many people are nearly indistinguishable within a couple grades. You or your intended may be very color sensitive, but many people are thrilled with an H or I color, giving them the flexibility to stay in budget and end up with a larger stone. When it is cut well, the size difference can appear even more striking. No one will look at her finger and ask to see the lab report, so unless there is a cultural expectation of a 'colorless' diamond a few hours shopping and comparing can really make a difference.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's good advice to look at lower color grades before ruling them out. But an I color is going to be a slightly creamy white from the side if not face-up, and there are lots of people who think that J is far too tinted and yellowish for an engagement ring. "I" is where most people cant start to see tint in a mounted stone. H can look mighty tinted unmounted but truly near-colorless from the side and the top when mounted. Personally, a correctly graded GIA H is there I think the white stops and the soft-of-creamy starts.

I owned a superideal Good Old Gold diamond that was a GIA graded G, and it was so colorless that if I put it beside a colorless CZ (which represents D in diamonds) and the only way I could tell that stone from the CZ was to look at the side view of the two, where the G looked just slightly creamy.

GIA grades color strictly. I and others think that AGS is at least softer on color part of the time. I now own a AGS 000 superideal GOG Signature diamond that is an AGS F, and it's definitely a bit creamier than that GIA G was. Watch out for that, in case you look at an AGS diamonds. Just my $0.02.

ezraheadstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply people..I decided to get the diamond..

Is this still good choice? Photos attached..

is_4.jpg

image_diamond.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks pretty nice, though I'm not an expert on rounds. If it's what she wants, then she's going to love it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aset looks good...what specs did you end up going with? BTW, Congrats!

ezraheadstone

Rough_Rock
It is not what she wants BUT what i want for her :D

I went with the stone i mentioned on original post. Just paid in full and waiting delivery to come before XMas.

Problem is..i haven't had a ring made yet! So maybe the full ring will be ready by late Jan 17..

Thank you all for the inputs..appreciate it..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results