shape
carat
color
clarity

help... is this a good deal for this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I have a budget of 4,000 now and would really like to get a 1.00 stone but have enough left over for a decent setting of platinum no side stones. How does this stone look?

Price: $2,853.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.00
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 68.9
Table: 55
Girdle: TN-VTK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.06-6.10X4.19

PMR

Rough_Rock
Do you have the crown and pavil. angles to see how it scores on HCA?

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I could not see it anywhere. I found this stone on WF though. I suppose the could tell me if I call them?

PMR

Rough_Rock
Yes, if you call them they can try to get the angles for you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stone would be a big fat NO.

Look at the diameter. A well-cut 1c stone should be 6.5mm and around 4mm deep. This stone has a diameter of 6.08 which means that this stone looks something like a .90c IF even that, maybe more like .85c. So you'd be getting a 1ctw stone where the weight is all in the BOTTOM and not on the top...you need a better balance than that.

Look at that depth?! YIKES! Stay under 62 for the most part.

With your budget...I would spend around $3400 on the stone and $600 on the setting...IF its just a basic solitaire in platinum. If you want a designer setting, then you will have to minimze the stone, but I would always get a better stone than setting to begin with...you can always get a new setting later.
1.gif

Try these two:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-4658808

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-4658909

Both are a little more than $3400 but WhiteFlash discounts for Pricescope customers, and you never know until you ask on what they may be willing to take. With your budget, an I or J SI would be your best bet for a 1c stone.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Mara I was concerned about the depth too. But unsure about the other issues. I am definatley more concerned with the proportions than color or clarity.. I know since I have the budget I do and want 1c that I have to sacrafice somewhere. I read somewhere that stones int he color range g-j sometimes benefit from having some blue flouresence. Does anyone know how much truth there is to that?

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
this is the price $2,884.00.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one looks much better in terms of numbers...a 0.8 BIC on the HCA with the %'s...that may translate to something like 1.5 with angles, but even that is very good, anything under 2.0 is excellent. This may be one of those cases where having rough %'s does help tell you that this stone could perform well. Nice table and depth.

The one thing I would caution is that with EGL certs, they are discounted because alot of times they are not 100% accurate. GIA and AGS are more reputable labs that grade more strictly. This is a J SI1 and the plot looks very clean on the cert image....I would get it independently appraised to ensure that it really IS a J SI1 and not a K SI3/I1 or something. There have been horror stories. But not all EGL certs are wrong, and if you can find one that is right, you may get a great deal, because as you can see, trade discounts them over GIA or AGS. Spend the extra $125 or similar to get the final choice independently appraised and confirm you are getting what you are paying for.

Curious, where did you find that stone..the 'DiaScript' on girdle sounds familiar but I can't place it...
1.gif
Good luck..let us know what you decide/find.

On fluorescence...yes...in the G-K range or similar, fluor will be an asset, AND fluor stones are also cheaper slightly. If you can find a J SI1 with fluor and have it be the real thing, with a very good cut...under $3k...that would be 'ideal'.
2.gif

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I found that stone on Whiteflash. I was looking on Bluenile and not finding settings I liked. So I started looking other places to comparison shop on settings and stones. I am going to some local jewelers soon to look at stones and to get a better idea of what I want. I want to try some rings on just to see them on my finger but I amplanning on buying my stone and setting seperate. I want to compare prices I find online with the ones I get at the jewelers.

BTW thanks so much for the info I am so lost about this. Really I had no idea how much there is to consider if you don't want to get ripped off. I am not going to rush into anything though. I am going to take my time about it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Lady ......oooo, I'm sorry to say it but this stone looks AWFUL.

The key is in the depth - 68.9%!!! HOLY COW!

Look at the diameter....6.09mm??? A decent 1 ct stone should measure around 6.5mm.

This stone is a DEFINITE pass.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
WOW, 68.9% depth????????
This is what we call A Coke bottle
9.gif

the measurments are those of an 0.80-0.90cts. stone.
why pay for 1.00cts.and have a stone that looks less.
stay within these numbers:
d=59-62%
t=53-60%
girdle=thn-med-sltk
culet=none
polish=g-vg-ex
sym=g-vg-ex
flour=n-f
diameter of a 1.00ct. stone should be around the 6.5mm+/-

stick to those numbers and you'll do ok.
if your budget doesnot permit,you downgrade to g-h color they look just as good in white metals.

good luck

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Lady J.....you note the desire for a 1 ct stone.

I'll tell you that when most people say that, what they are meaning is that they want a stone of a certain size. However, *carat* is a weight, not a size.

I think that to get what you want, you need to focus more on the diameter.

An ideal cut 1 ct stone measures about 6.5mm. Typical 1 ct stones in the mall run about 6.15 to 6.25 mm. This is because they cut the stones too deep, so it WEIGHS 1 carat but it doesn't have the SIZE (diameter) that a well-cut 1 ct. stone should have. Think of it this way: a 5lb. box of nuts and bolts is considerable smaller than a 5 lb. box of cotton balls. Both weigh the same, but the box of cotton balls looks (and is) MUCH bigger.

So, if you mean that you want your stone to look at big at 1 ct. stones that most people get at the mall, the truth is that you can get a .90-.95 ideally-cut stone and it will look BIGGER than someone else's 1 ct. stone.

Also, looking in the .90-.95 range means that you will avoid the premium that comes at the 1.00 mark.

I think this range will allow you to stay within your budget, get a stone that IS as big as run-of-the-mall 1 ct stones (SIZE-wise), and get a stone that will actually outperform those other stones because it sparkles more due to better cut proportions.

Just something to consider.

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
Hey thanks for that tip... that makes total sense to me. I am definitely going to take that into consideration when looking. Thanks again!

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to ask...if I go with a .90-.95 what should I be looking for as far as proportions?? I have the 1ct info but what about the others? If someone told me this already I apologize it's just so much info to wrap my head around right now and like I said I am clueless and trying to learn about this as fast as I can because even though I am not going to rush into a purchase we are getting married soon.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/27/2004 11:08:16 PM LadyJ wrote:

I forgot to ask...if I go with a .90-.95 what should I be looking for as far as proportions?? I have the 1ct info but what about the others----------------

About 6.25mm-6.35 or so.....give or take a bit.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The first example Mara gave you is marked Sold now. But that 2nd stone has a fantastic Ideal Scope. It's Ideal cut with a very clean Cert plot. Would be worth a call to check that one out!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results