shape
carat
color
clarity

help! Is this a good buy? GIA 1.8ct

grlnxtdoor

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate your trusted feedback. I found a local jeweler selling this done for under $18K and would like your opinion if this is a good price. This is a round brilliant GIA certified diamond and specs are as followed:

Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 62.2 %
Table 59 %
Crown Angle 36.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Really appreciate your feed back. HCA gave this a 4.1

everstone

Rough_Rock
How much do you like your local jeweler? I ask because many people prefer their local jewelers, even some mall stores, to online businesses, and they want to do business with a brick and mortar. That's fine.

Generally, however, you will definitely save at least a few hundred dollars (maybe in your case a couple thousand) buy purchasing online, and you can find a diamond with better specs.

Here's what I don't like about the stone:
-HCA is high. HCA is an eliminator tool, right? Well if you believe that then you shouldn't pick this diamond.
-Crown is a little steep given the fact that the table is a little long. Just FYI this diamond is GIA Excellent but also AGS Excellent (not AGS ideal)
- Girdle is thick at 4%. Diamond wont look as large as it should.
-Price at 18k is a little high.

What I like:
- Color seems good, G is a great value.
- VS2 is a good value.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
everstone|1450301065|3962404 said:
How much do you like your local jeweler? I ask because many people prefer their local jewelers, even some mall stores, to online businesses, and they want to do business with a brick and mortar. That's fine.

Generally, however, you will definitely save at least a few hundred dollars (maybe in your case a couple thousand) buy purchasing online, and you can find a diamond with better specs.

Here's what I don't like about the stone:
-HCA is high. HCA is an eliminator tool, right? Well if you believe that then you shouldn't pick this diamond.
-Crown is a little steep given the fact that the table is a little long. Just FYI this diamond is GIA Excellent but also AGS Excellent (not AGS ideal)
- Girdle is thick at 4%. Diamond wont look as large as it should.
-Price at 18k is a little high.

What I like:
- Color seems good, G is a great value.
- VS2 is a good value.

Can you explain why crown is too steep given the table %? I haven't come across any proportional relationship for crown angle given a particular table size. Crown and pavilion angle yes, but not crown and table aside from just recommended ranges.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am curious what this relational table to CA proportion is all about.

As far as the girdle being thick it doesn't automatically mean the diamond is small for it's carat weight. You must look at the total depth of the stone and the dimensions. The fact that there is a steeper CA and a steeper PA can affect the size for carat weight, but in this stone probably not by much.

everstone

Rough_Rock
I don't remember where I read it. It makes sense if you just stop to think about though. A long table with steep sides/crown won't look right.

If you look at the charts, you can see that the thresholds for Excellent, Very Good, or Good cuts between a normal table (say 57%) and a larger table (say 61%) end at different places; For 57% table, crown angles of up to 38.5 might be Very Good, whereas a 61% that angle would only be Good (to receive a Very Good you gotta go down to at least 37CA). The ranges narrow even more But basically yeah, the larger table receives more excellent scores where the CA's tend to be shallower.

http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/pdfs/booklet_cut_estimation_tables_lowres.pdf

https://agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf

Anyways we're talking extremes here and it doesn't really pertain to this particular diamond from the OP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results