shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Is the LEO cut REALLY worth the extra

H8q

Rough_Rock
Hello. I am new to all this diamond talk and shopping. I am buying a diamond for my future fiance. I stopped into Kays and they found me a LEO CUT Diamond that is 1.48ct for $11,900. and they said retail was $17k+.....

SPECS;

GSI REPORT
Shape/Cut: LEO/Princess
Measurements: 6.52x6.24x4.55 MM
Weight: 1.48 CT(S)
Color: Near colorless (I)
Clarity: VS2
Polish/Symmetry: good/good
treatment: None

I am having a custom setting made for this diamond so the $11.9k is just diamond. Is the LEO cut really worth it? I have found other Diamonds same size, clarity and color for $9k but they really dont look as nice as the LEO. But is it worth an extra $3k? I trust the place i am getting it just want to make sure I am getting a fair deal.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
NO DON"T BUY FROM A CHAIN STORE WHERE YOU ARE A NUMBER WHAT IS GSI Certification. BRB I'll look at PS vendors to see what they have that is close and GIA or AGS . Also can we see the setting inspiration maybe one of the vendors here can help as well. In an ideal cut diamond the polish symmetry and cut should all be ideal or excellent not good. That is your first flag that you are paying for the brand not the ideal cut diamond.

I have been looking at Whiteflash, Jamesallen, Brian Gavin you need to look yourself also for stones in that area. I am not sure how color sensitive you are there are some nice stones....ill post in a minute

oops just saw princess

H8q

Rough_Rock
The setting is a 14k white gold size 4. It is a 3 stone ring with JUST the side stones having a low halo around them. Then on the sides is a thick princess Channel that runs half way down the ring. The channel is larger at the top and slowly gets a little smaller at the bottom.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - honestly, no, the Leo diamond is not worth it. For one, that diamond is rated Good for Symmetry and for Polish - for a great performing diamond, you want it to be Excellent for both Symmetry and Polish, if GIA is the report, and Ideal for both if the diamond report is by AGL.

Not only that, but the Leo diamond is facing up very small for its stated carat weight - at 1.48ct, it should face up apx 7mm, but instead it is only facing up 6.5mm (and you listed 6.5 x 6.2mm, which is either a typo, or the Leo is quite out of round).

As quick example/comparison, here are two ideal-cut WhiteFlash "A Cut Above" hearts and arrows diamonds (their top signature line of diamonds) -
1.227ct I-SI1 ACA - priced at $7925 for PS members (and $7714 if you pay via bank wire), and facing up at 6.88mm - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2972955.htm

1.204 H-VS2 ACA - priced at $9290 for PS members (and $9011 if paying via wire), and facing up at 6.79 -
and http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2977524.htm

Both of these diamonds are less expensive than your Leo diamond, and both are cut to the highest quality, and both face up larger, meaning these diamonds are amazing performers.

If you want to stick at the $11,900 budget you were considering paying for the Leo, then you could get a G-VS2 ideal-cut signature hearts and arrows round diamond from Brian Gavin Diamond: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/search-for-diamonds/round

leoshraeder

Rough_Rock
Leo diamonds have a huge range that can fall within sucky to great. Given the amount of money they are charging, I don't think it is worth the risk to pay a premium for them. You can do better with other online vendors.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1390350891|3598067 said:
Not only that, but the Leo diamond is facing up very small for its stated carat weight - at 1.48ct, it should face up apx 7mm, but instead it is only facing up 6.5mm (and you listed 6.5 x 6.2mm, which is either a typo, or the Leo is quite out of round).

OP's stone is a princess cut.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aargh - that's what I get for skimming - sorry OP! And please ignore my post above as it pertains to a Leo round.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
17+ is a joke

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H8q|1390350034|3598058 said:
The setting is a 14k white gold size 4. It is a 3 stone ring with JUST the side stones having a low halo around them. Then on the sides is a thick princess Channel that runs half way down the ring. The channel is larger at the top and slowly gets a little smaller at the bottom.

do you have a picture?

H8q

Rough_Rock
sorry no pic on the setting as they have not finished the mold yet. they said they make like a greenish wax mold then once i approve that they make the actual ring.....

I appreciate all the helpful advice! It is just hard bc I am looking for at least a 1.5ct princess and I get princesses from $6k-$7k all the way to $14k or more. Diamonds are like rocket science to me. I mean I know i want at least a (i) color or better and VS2 or better but the ranges are so different depending on so many factors. I look online and is so hard to know what websites are legit and the fact I could spend almost $10k on something without verifying it first.... Im ok spending around $10k-$12k on a diamond. I just want to make sure I get the most for my money.... you know?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. And that price is RIDICULOUS.

This is pretty much top of the line. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3036256.htm You can't beat an AGS0 princess. And this one is a G VS 2. PLUS it's over the 1.5 carat mark (which means it gets an upcharge). And it is STILL 900 under the price you were quoted!!

THIS is comparable : http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2941432.htm?source=pricescope $8,815

And this is what I'd buy:

If I wanted an I:
http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vs2-clarity_LD02878268?click_id=15875807 (AWESOME return policy, they pay shipping both ways. NO RISK!).

If I wanted higher color:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=6YY55Y98&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1390356880|3598144 said:
Aargh - that's what I get for skimming - sorry OP! And please ignore my post above as it pertains to a Leo round.
Just as bad as an out of round rb ...this stone is not close of being square... :knockout:

H8q

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1390372237|3598352 said:
No. And that price is RIDICULOUS.

This is pretty much top of the line. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3036256.htm You can't beat an AGS0 princess. And this one is a G VS 2. PLUS it's over the 1.5 carat mark (which means it gets an upcharge). And it is STILL 900 under the price you were quoted!!

THIS is comparable : http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2941432.htm?source=pricescope $8,815

And this is what I'd buy:

If I wanted an I:
http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vs2-clarity_LD02878268?click_id=15875807 (AWESOME return policy, they pay shipping both ways. NO RISK!).

If I wanted higher color:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=6YY55Y98&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

Thanks for the links. Is this site trustworthy and quality worthy? What is the normal process with these sites to get the diamond? is their prices negotiable? i am trying to decide between these two;

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3036256.htm

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2774477.htm

Any advice would be much appreciated

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pricescope wire price is I do believe as low as they will go. Making it like 11005, but they used to offer a 75$ off your first purchase with them. So I'd ask about that.

What you do is go to the site and start a live chat. Tell them you want to reserve that diamond for purchase and start talking about the setting. They do amazing custom work. So you would be in good hands. (I'm still looking to see a picture I your inspiration :D )

They are very reputable. They have a store just like Jared. It's in Texas. They just do a lot of their business online. And that stone is 1000% better than that Leo.

Eta: ok 1000% may be a hyperbole but it's a lot better. ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very reputable.

Feel free to do a search on here for "Whiteflash experience". Or on google "Whiteflash review".

I believer they have supplied jewels to stars for the oscars, and everything as well as doing jewelry for normal people.

Only thing I'd caution you about. You said you are having a custom ring made for the stone. Has that been started yet? Because you would need to tell them to stop until you decide on a specific stone as the dimensions of the stone are crucial to any custom setting. If you can afford it, that H you linked to, which is nearly 6.5 square in dimensions would be a huge draw for me as it faces up noticibly larger than the other stones you are looking at. Also it is perfectly square, which the Leo isn't. But that G is also stunning and the price is great.

Whiteflash also does custom work and they have a solid reputation on here for that. So depending on the design of the ring you want, that may be an option for you as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if their price for that was also less than you were quoted before.

H8q

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1390420346|3598734 said:
Very reputable.

Feel free to do a search on here for "Whiteflash experience". Or on google "Whiteflash review".

I believer they have supplied jewels to stars for the oscars, and everything as well as doing jewelry for normal people.

Only thing I'd caution you about. You said you are having a custom ring made for the stone. Has that been started yet? Because you would need to tell them to stop until you decide on a specific stone as the dimensions of the stone are crucial to any custom setting. If you can afford it, that H you linked to, which is nearly 6.5 square in dimensions would be a huge draw for me as it faces up noticibly larger than the other stones you are looking at. Also it is perfectly square, which the Leo isn't. But that G is also stunning and the price is great.

Whiteflash also does custom work and they have a solid reputation on here for that. So depending on the design of the ring you want, that may be an option for you as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if their price for that was also less than you were quoted before.

Thank you so much. I went ahead and called the the number and talked to them. They went over the process and it seems very easy. Looks like i am planning on possibly securing that 1.6 diamond! They are trying to get me a quote on the setting i am looking for. I wish I would have found this forum way earlier! You guys rock and I cant thank you enough.

This is the setting I am waiting for a quote on;
SIZE:4
14k WHITE GOLD

3-stone ring with all princess cut diamonds

Princess channel to run down the side of ring. I want a wide channel and I want the wall to be semi thick ( I do not want a skinny wall/Side). I am even open if possible to have a thicker diamond channel at top and it gets slighty smaller at bottom.

I would like a "peek-a-boo" diamond that would go under the main diamond.

I had the Idea of having a LOW halo below the two side diamonds ONLY. this was just an idea but not required.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to discourage you. But I might think about forgoing the halos. I'm just concerned the mix of pave and channel set stone might cause it to look busy. It's already going to look amazing with a three stone that size on that size finger.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1390427950|3598855 said:
I don't want to discourage you. But I might think about forgoing the halos. I'm just concerned the mix of pave and channel set stone might cause it to look busy. It's already going to look amazing with a three stone that size on that size finger.

I agree with Niel -- a thicker band with channel set princess stones wouldn't mesh with a halo. It would be like mixing dainty/feminine with modern/industrial. I hope that makes sense... LOL :)

H8q

Rough_Rock
Niel|1390427950|3598855 said:

After thought of the halo and what I was looking to achieve I did scrap the Halo idea. I went ahead and purchased the 1.6ct that I was looking at with Whitflash.com and I already got a quote on a custom build setting that is running around $3,1k. So all in all I got the 1.6ct for $11,9k and the setting $3,1k so the total damage is $15k.

the setting is a very sleek channel set princess three stone ring (with surprise diamonds) holding approximately 1.00ctw of G/H VS melee. The side diamonds are approximately .32-.35ct each. 14K - $3,175

Once again thanks for your guys help. I would have never have found this diamond or place with out your help. I will try to post a pic of the ring that all you have helped me discover and get. You guys are AWESOME, JUST AWESOME :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you be getting cads? Or your next pictures will be of the finished ring?

Glad you went sans halo. I think it woul be much more eligant that way. I can't wait to see.

H8q

Rough_Rock
They said they would get me a CAD design for approval before production.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H8q|1390599790|3600570 said:
They said they would get me a CAD design for approval before production.

Oh do post those when you get them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results