shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in grading a stone (quite clueless)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jrw2378

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve read multiple threads on the site, and am impressed by how willing the members of the forum are to help people like me. I''m trying to choose a diamond for my engagement ring. I have been dealing primarily with online retailers as I''ve witnessed how much more difficult it seems for B/M to remain competitive in this space. I''ve gone the B/M route, to be shown stones with large inclusions and questionable grading.

Anyway, on to the question:

I''m trying to choose between two stones, both princess cuts.

Stone 1:

EGL Certified
Measure: 5.88x5.80x4.21
1.24 C
H Color (salesperson felt it was closer to I)
Eye Clean VS2
Total Depth 72.7%
Table Width 72%
Crown Height 12%
Pavilion Depth 58%
Girdle: Medium Polished
Polish/Sym: VG/VG

Stone 2:

EGL Certified
Measure: 6.28x6.11x4.22
1.31 C
H Color
VVS2
Total Depth 69%
Table Width 68%
Crown Height 10%
Pavilion Depth 57%
Girdle: Thin Polished
Polish/sym: VG/VG

Stone 1 comes from UD, Stone 2 from Abazias if that matters. I have not read much positive feedback from Abazias.

Any help you can provide would be great.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can''t tell much on princess cut by the numbers. Need ASET image.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:41:28 AM
Author:jrw2378
Hi all,

I've read multiple threads on the site, and am impressed by how willing the members of the forum are to help people like me. I'm trying to choose a diamond for my engagement ring. I have been dealing primarily with online retailers as I've witnessed how much more difficult it seems for B/M to remain competitive in this space. I've gone the B/M route, to be shown stones with large inclusions and questionable grading.

Anyway, on to the question:

I'm trying to choose between two stones, both princess cuts.

Stone 1:

EGL Certified
Measure: 5.88x5.80x4.21
1.24 C
H Color (salesperson felt it was closer to I)
Eye Clean VS2
Total Depth 72.7%
Table Width 72%
Crown Height 12%
Pavilion Depth 58%
Girdle: Medium Polished
Polish/Sym: VG/VG

Stone 2:

EGL Certified
Measure: 6.28x6.11x4.22
1.31 C
H Color
VVS2
Total Depth 69%
Table Width 68%
Crown Height 10%
Pavilion Depth 57%
Girdle: Thin Polished
Polish/sym: VG/VG

Stone 1 comes from UD, Stone 2 from Abazias if that matters. I have not read much positive feedback from Abazias.

Any help you can provide would be great.
That may be because of the EGL grading. Depending on which lab division it's from (USA is strictest), they tend to be "softer" on grading. So color and clarity could both be off, 1 or more grades.

I realize EGL can offer a more reasonable price point, but it often comes at the expense of other things. If you are looking online, I would recommend using a vendor that supplies GIA/AGS stones, along with ASET photos. That will help ensure you get a pretty stone.

And as Sc said, we need pics, with any fancy, to help determine if it's decent or not.

jrw2378

Rough_Rock
Are there specific sites that offer ASET and Idealscope images? These do not. In fact the only site I have seen that offers is GOG, and there selection seems pretty limited in the fancy cuts.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Also WF and High Performance, along with the help from Infinity.

Find these presented all together for your ease here.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 1:34:26 PM
Author: jrw2378
Are there specific sites that offer ASET and Idealscope images? These do not. In fact the only site I have seen that offers is GOG, and there selection seems pretty limited in the fancy cuts.
Yes! Besides GOG, there is

HPD

http://highperformancediamonds.com/

And WF

http://www.whiteflash.com/

Both these use ASET (best for fancy cut). James Allen only uses Idealscope, which is better than nothing, but ASET tell the whole picture.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/

Also, if you don't see what you need, just tell them what you're looking for, they have several suppliers they can contact.
28.gif

*typing at same time*

jrw2378

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I will check there as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen and Ira offer good advice! Also ask for detailed photographs as well as ASET, the above vendors which El and Ira recommended will have all the info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results