shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in finding a diamond please:

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
We are looking for help to find a diamond please. I want the diamond to be 4-5 ct wt, round, "excellent"cut , color no higher than J-lower preferable-I would prefer a VS1 or better unless there is a VS2 that so over the top spectacular I would consider it. We are having a hard time really finding the best sources for this. There are prices all over the map and when we dont see it in person, as all of you know, it makes it stressful. I would appreciate help to find the perfect place to buy the perfect diamond. Thanks, Cindy

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Cindy, I am sure we can help you find a great diamond! I want to be sure I understand what your specs are. Do you mean you don't want a lower color than J? Such as, you'd be open to H-I-J but not lower colors such as K-M? Also, do you have a particular budget for this stone? I'll take a look to see what is available and return to make sure I understood you correctly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still looking, but this is a top of the line, highest cut quality diamond right in your specs if I understood them correctly.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3513231.htm?source=pricescope

A member here happens to have an ACA that is over 4 cts and I VS1 and there are photos in this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/[/URL]

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker I appreciate your help. We are new to all of this and still figuring out what do look for and what can be a bit compromised. I find in searching that "cut" should be #1? , I want color between J-G, Ive learned that "clarity" rating is dependent on the stone and a persons vision. I would like a VS1 and better ideally but have heard that some VS2 can be "eye clean" and beautiful, which is ok. No big black specs in vision is a must, but we are open to see options. The budget is ideally 70k max. We will have to discuss above that price. I have seen the WF site and actually saw that stone on it. It is beyond gorgeous. I love the stone on the woman whos info you sent, a 4.5 ct is great. Prob perfect as I have read, and tell me if Im wrong, if a stone is below a full larger size it is less expensive? So a 5 ct would be a lot more than the 4.5. This is just what I have read. I dont understand some of the abbreviations used in that womans post on this site, what is AGS? and a few other ones, Maybe it does not matter for me. How long do most people look for a diamond before knowing and feeling comfortable its the right one? A question for you also, are you a jeweler? Or someone with a lot of knowledge and love to help us novices. Do you have an affiliation with any of the on line sites? Like one over another? I was on a talk site recently and that site did NOT like WF. When I questioned that, as I have seen good info, they said WF was not good for customers-basically-How do we know a site that is referred is reputable? So many questions! Thanks for the help, I look forward to seeing more also. Cindy

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Another question for Diamondseeker, I have been looking at diamond sizes, Im thinking this stone info you sent me is closer to a 4ct than 4.5?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1456503829|3996081 said:
Another question for Diamondseeker, I have been looking at diamond sizes, Im thinking this stone info you sent me is closer to a 4ct than 4.5?

Yes, the WF stone is closer to 4 cts than 4.5. But the size appearance on the hand also has to do with the person's ring size.

I will look through your post before this and try to answer your other questions!

Q

Queenie60

Stuandcindy: You are in great hands with Diamondseeker2006. She is a prosumer and really knows her stuff. I assure you that she can help you to find the best stone based on your budget and specs. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you choose. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1456503514|3996078 said:
Thanks Diamondseeker I appreciate your help. We are new to all of this and still figuring out what do look for and what can be a bit compromised. I find in searching that "cut" should be #1? , I want color between J-G, Ive learned that "clarity" rating is dependent on the stone and a persons vision. I would like a VS1 and better ideally but have heard that some VS2 can be "eye clean" and beautiful, which is ok. No big black specs in vision is a must, but we are open to see options. The budget is ideally 70k max. We will have to discuss above that price. I have seen the WF site and actually saw that stone on it. It is beyond gorgeous. I love the stone on the woman whos info you sent, a 4.5 ct is great. Prob perfect as I have read, and tell me if Im wrong, if a stone is below a full larger size it is less expensive? So a 5 ct would be a lot more than the 4.5. This is just what I have read. I dont understand some of the abbreviations used in that womans post on this site, what is AGS? and a few other ones, Maybe it does not matter for me. How long do most people look for a diamond before knowing and feeling comfortable its the right one? A question for you also, are you a jeweler? Or someone with a lot of knowledge and love to help us novices. Do you have an affiliation with any of the on line sites? Like one over another? I was on a talk site recently and that site did NOT like WF. When I questioned that, as I have seen good info, they said WF was not good for customers-basically-How do we know a site that is referred is reputable? So many questions! Thanks for the help, I look forward to seeing more also. Cindy

Correct, there is nothing more important than cut in the beauty of a diamond. A member here just posted a Whiteflash ACA today that is over 5 cts ! (However, to answer one of your questions, yes, there is a big price jump at 5 cts!!!)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-5-59-ct-whiteflash-aca-ring.220045/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-5-59-ct-whiteflash-aca-ring.220045/[/URL]

I also prefer VS1 clarity in rings, but it is definitely possible to find eyeclean VS2s. Many people like VS2 because it does bring the cost down some.

AGS is short for American Gem Society which also has a grading lab like GIA, except it grades cut more strictly. So usually, only stones that are top cut quality will be sent there to try to get the ideal cut grade. AGS Ideal cut is a much narrower grade than GIA Excellent, for example. But not all stones within AGS Ideal are equal. We call stones such as Whiteflash ACAs (and similar stones from other vendors) superideal cuts, as they are the most perfectly cut of the ideal cuts. When I searched yesterday, the WF stone was the only superideal cut that came up in the search or I would have listed some from other vendors. There are simply fewer stones above 4 cts, and then when you narrow then down by cut, even fewer.

https://www.americangemsociety.org/agslabs

We can go down find some nice excellent cut stones that are a step below this one example in cut that would be beautiful, but last night I didn't see anything I really thought was a good prospect. I will try to look some more tomorrow.

People can find a stone instantly or it can take a long time. You may find after comparing stones that you prioritize things differently. You may go for top cut at 4 cts or you may decide that excellent cut at 4.3-4.5 suits you better. But I will try to find more. Honestly, some that were not as well cut cost as much as this one, which was surprising to me.

No, I am not a jeweler, nor have I ever worked for one! However, I have loved jewelry for many years and found this site 10 years ago when my husband said I could get a new diamond ring for an anniversary! I never left because I just enjoy collecting and helping others find quality diamonds and jewelry as a hobby!

I know the site you are talking about. They are paid by the vendor/jewelers that they recommend. They do not have a relationship with Whiteflash and that is the primary reason they do not recommend them. We do have vendors that advertise on this site, but they and no one who works for them are allowed to promote their goods on the forum. Consumers such as myself have personal experience buying from various jewelers and can vouch for them, and there are hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews on here for many vendors. I happen to have diamond studs and a couple of other jewelry items from Whiteflash, but I also have other beautiful items from vendors such as Good Old Gold and Victor Canera who also sell fine quality diamonds and settings. I know of others I'd recommend here, as well, except I was not seeing anything with your specs. I will add that many of the vendors with top quality stones offer a 100% upgrade policy, so if at any point later they got it a stone you liked better, you would get the full amount of your purchase price of the diamond (minus shipping, and assuming no damage to the stone) toward the new diamond of any greater value. I have personally used this policy to upgrade my studs at Whiteflash.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1456543525|3996413 said:
Stuandcindy: You are in great hands with Diamondseeker2006. She is a prosumer and really knows her stuff. I assure you that she can help you to find the best stone based on your budget and specs. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you choose. :wavey:

That was sweet of you to say, Queenie! Thank you! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, there seriously is not a lot available in 4-5 cts in I-J color, VS1-VS2 clarity with excellent to ideal cut. I first looked on the PS search, and there were only about 3 that pretty much fit your parameters and one said out of stock, which probably means sold. H is pretty much out of the question over 4 cts because of price being over $80k for H VS2 at 4 cts. (And J VS2 is over $80k at 5+ cts.)

This one is still the best prospect (meaning best cut) so far. If you are interested, I would call and speak with them and see if the price is firm. It varies with every stone depending on when they bought it and how diamond prices were then and now. They do give a discount for wire payment and I always pay that way. They also have a lovely showroom where you can go see diamonds by appointment only.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3513231.htm?source=pricescope

Others:

4.01 I VS1, $64,950 (no photos, just a GIA report, so they'd have to call in this stone to get photos and light return images for you, requires double the price to upgrade):

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/4.01-carat-i-vs1-excellent-round-cut-diamond-gid-779385.html

4.12 I VS2, $68,332 (no photos and they may or may not be able to get pictures, AGS Ideal cut but I am not fond of this particular one, no upgrade policy unless you spend double)

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04648629

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Diamondseeker for all of you help. I will be looking at what else you have found. I can change my "wants" to a potential SI1-2 also if this helps in my search to see what else I find. I am blown away by the real people pics you sent me. So you have any idea if they were in my price range at all? What do you think of a B & M jewelry store who can get the size stones I am looking for - potentially- and can "work" around not paying sales tax which is a huge $ amount on top of a large stone.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, the sites you have been sending me are sites you are familiar with and know they are reputable to deal with on line?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stuandcindy|1456590692|3996592 said:
Diamondseeker, the sites you have been sending me are sites you are familiar with and know they are reputable to deal with on line?

Oh, yes, they are highly reputable and have many customers who have made reviews here. But in the case of Blue Nile, they are internet based and do not particularly provide much in the way of customer service. They are known for low prices due to the quantity they sell, but you have to do the work of picking out a good stone and evaluating it or sending to an appraiser who is familiar with ideal cut diamonds.

I will tell you that Whiteflash is still going to provide you with the best quality stone and customer service experience of the three I listed. As far as local goes, there is not a great chance of getting an outstanding stone at a better price. I never found a stone at the best jewelers in the large city nearest me that came close to the diamonds I found at vendors such as Good Old Gold or Whiteflash. Both of those are not solely internet based. Good Old Gold is a family owned jewelry store on Long Island (but they don't have any stones that meet your specs at this time), and Whiteflash is more internet based, but they have a lovely showroom for private appointments in Houston. If you would like to make a trip to Houston, I would recommend making an appointment at WF and look at their 4 ct I VS1 stone and ask them to call in a couple of other excellent cut stones for you to compare. They are located in a lovely area of shops and restaurants with a hotel within walking distance to their showroom. But I have always just had diamonds sent to me, and I returned them if I decided I wanted to look at more.

I would not personally consider SI clarity in a 4 ct stone. It is hard to find totally eyeclean SI stones at that size. Some SI2's could have a negative effect on light return as well. I think you were on target with VS clarity.

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
What about some of the other vendors listed on PS resources? I have been looking and some of them like "S" bros- has really low prices and a few other ones. Id like your input if you know. Thanks

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
What is the thought of diamonds with "blue" strong-none?

stuandcindy

Rough_Rock
I see a diamond on WF-4.34 I VS1 excellent cut, 67-65k. What do you think of this stone?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
stuandcindy|1456596494|3996630 said:
What is the thought of diamonds with "blue" strong-none?

Hello,

Because I am a trade member I cannot comment on specific diamonds - but I can speak about fluorescence which will appear on the grading report.

Sometimes trace minerals within a diamond cause the diamond to glow (usually blue) when exposed to ultraviolet light. This is tested with special ultraviolet lamps in the laboratory. There is some debate among consumers if this is a good or band thing - that is a question of personal taste.

Where will that matter: The sun is a source of ultraviolet rays so fluorescent diamonds may react in daylight to the sun, or in a dark room if exposed to black-light.

The thing to note is that diamonds listed as strong or 'over'-blue can present as hazy or milky to the eye in standard lighting conditions. Every reputable seller will check the diamond before it is ever sold and let the customer know whether or not the fluorescence effects the appearance of the diamond in normal lighting situations. But it is not all bad - some people feel the presence of strong fluorescence in the I and J color ranges actually helps a diamond to appear a bit whiter - facing up as a G or an H.

Again - this varies from diamond to diamond and observer to observer and is very much a personal taste issue. The main concern for you will be to ask questions and ensure that fluorescence does not make your diamond hazy or milky.

If you are unsure what your taste may be, take some time to look at diamonds of varying fluorescence at your local jeweler in all types of lighting conditions - it is fascinating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results