shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in deciding on diamond for studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nobodeuno

Rough_Rock
Trying to build a nice set of stud earrings for my wife. I''m choosing martini settings but I''m having trouble deciding on which set of stones to get. Which is a better deal and better suited for a earring set?

ACA H&A .390 & .396 I SI1 = ~$1400
HCA Score = 1.3EEEE & 1EEEE
First and Second

or

ACA H&A .381 & .381 J SI1 = ~$1200
HCA Score = 1 EEEE & 1 EEEV
First and Second

Couple questions:

1) Do you think I vs J is visible in this size of a diamond?
2) Do you think the first set is worth the extra $200?
3) Would you rather have a matched set size wise? The Second set seems to be more matched. Is .006c noticable?

Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks in advance!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 8:09:33 PM
Author:nobodeuno
Trying to build a nice set of stud earrings for my wife. I''m choosing martini settings but I''m having trouble deciding on which set of stones to get. Which is a better deal and better suited for a earring set?

ACA H&A .390 & .396 I SI1 = ~$1400
HCA Score = 1.3EEEE & 1EEEE
First and Second

or

ACA H&A .381 & .381 J SI1 = ~$1200
HCA Score = 1 EEEE & 1 EEEV
First and Second

Couple questions:

3) Would you rather have a matched set size wise? The Second set seems to be more matched. Is .006c noticable?

i very much like the second set
18.gif
those look perfect! very very nice. you will not be able to detect any difference between the ''i'' and the ''j''. none whatsoever.
get them now! she is going to love them.

nobodeuno

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I am leaning towards the 2nd set as well just because they are more of a matched set. I do like that the other stones are larger and have better color.

I am however concerned about the imperfections/clouds on one of the stones...it seems quite large. Will that matter?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the second set, because I like them to match in size pretty exactly. Look at the diameters when you are comparing sizes, not the carat weight, as the diameter is what will show.

They look like a great set! I would save the $200 and with with #2. Just to b sure, you might give Whiteflash a call and get them to eye-ball them both and tell you what they think. That is always a good thing to add to the specs searching.

nobodeuno

Rough_Rock
^ Good Advice...I''ll probably give them a call shortly..thanks

Question Will larger clouds have an affect on performance?

ci_AGS-6639602.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 11:42:39 AM
Author:nobodeuno
Couple questions:

Definitely not.

Well.... they are worth the money, but this doesn't mean they are visibly better in some way
9.gif

3) Would you rather have a matched set size wise?

In theory, yes... however, both these sets are as perfectly matched as they get. A % or two of table diamter and a tenth of a milimeter between the diamonds does not qualify a pair of diamonds as 'worse match' unelss you are using a microscope to decide. Those would be perfectly suitable for sidestones, as far as I cna tell.

The Second set seems to be more matched. Is .006c noticable?

Goodenss! No... if a pen's tip is about .5mm just imagine what that number means...

Between I-Si and J-Si, H&S, less than .4cts each... I can only see the price difference now. With the two pairs to choose from, I doubt any difference of color would jump at me (actually, I may have a hard time telling them apart, since the stones are set).
My 0.2, of course.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 1:17:58 PM
Author: nobodeuno

Question Will larger clouds have an affect on performance?

34.gif
.. make that allot larger ones that would definitely not be compatible with this clarity grade... SI1 on 5mm diamonds does not give much to talk about.
There have been some questions about inclusions and brilliance recently. You may want to run a search for 'clouds' and 'fancy white' on the foru to track some expert opinions down. I tried to summarize them in one word above.

nobodeuno

Rough_Rock
Thanks a ton for all the info!

I think i''m going with the .381 matched set...just got off the phone with WFlash and they are pulling them to make sure they are eye clean...etc

Will post some pics when/if I get them.

Regards,
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results