shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in considering a diamond with indented natural

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jclark88

Rough_Rock
I am currently considering purchasing a diamond at a local jeweler for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I was very happy with the diamond I had chosen until, upon inspection of the diamond today, I noticed a small "smudge" on the girdle which was visible to my naked eye. The jeweler told me this was an "indented natural" and showed me the indication of it on the GIA report. The indentation is not noticeable when viewing the diamond above from the table, but is from the side. The jeweler told me that they could hide it behind one of the prongs during setting if I liked. My question is whether or not this is feasible or if the indentation might cause improper setting? If the latter is true, I might not want to consider the diamond as the noticeable indentation kind of bothers me if it will be in plain view.

Also, there are some long straight inclusions in the diamond which are near the edges of the stone. Although they are less noticeable because they are not in the center, could these possibly extend outwards and eventually cause a crack in the surface of the diamond?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
My question is whether or not this is feasible or if
the indentation might cause improper setting?
-----------

Shouldn't be any problem in setting.

-----------
Also, there are some long straight inclusions in the
diamond which are near the edges of the stone.
Although they are less noticeable because they are
not in the center, could these possibly extend
outwards and eventually cause a crack in the surface
of the diamond?
-----------

It depends on the nature of the inclusions. Are they internal needles, or feathers? If they're feathers, do they break the surface?

My gut instinct is that it's not a problem, but you'd always want to get the second opinion of a gemologist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results