shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in buying stud earings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geen

Rough_Rock
I am looking to get my wife a pair of studs for Xmas How much should color and clarity concern me when shopping for studs that will be .50 to .75 each.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would get H-J and SI clarity. If you want, maybe G color. But if you're planning on using them for earrings, you won't see a lot difference.
1.gif
As for the cut, I would consider AGS0's or, if possible, H&A.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond earrings are kind of a funny thing, while we sell a lot of zero ideal cut diamonds for earrings we sell just as many non-ideals for this purpose because earrings tend not to be under the same scrutiny as engagement rings and other rings worn on the hand... Earrings are often seen peeking out from behind a lock of hair and such... And quite often earring buyers are not willing to make the same investment for earrings as they are for an engagement ring. Thus we've learned to carry diamond earring stock in zero ideal cut and commercial makes... Some of our commercial earring stock is I-1 clarity combined with L/M color or SI-2 clarity and G/H in color... We sell a ton of commercial quality diamond earrings throughout the year, especially around the holidays. Probably 60% of the diamond earrings that we sell are commercial quality and the rest is ideal cut stock... It all depends on where you're trying to be in terms of price and whether you are willing to accept a few eye visible inclusions (visible upon very close inspection) and a little color to pick up some size... No doubt this is confusing to some of you who know us to be Mavens of the ideal cut diamond, but the reality is that a lot of diamond earring buyers don't want to spend that kind of money, so we offer both non-ideal and ideal cut inventory for diamond earring and pendant buyers... But we still only sell ideal cut for engagement rings
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a very recent thread by Plaut who bought some H&A studs for his wife.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/studs.9932/

There are pictures as well of what he chose. I always think you should build the earrings by hand, usually its cheaper or the same price as buying pre-set in the stores, and you can choose the quality of the cut of the stone, which is important if you want them to look good and also look the size that they should. I would never buy pre-set studs again knowing what I know now...esp if the price is the same and quality is 100% higher.

I would suggest something like H or I color and SI1 clarity, depending on your budget. If you have more to spend and want VS2, go for it. Or F/G color. But most people have a budget to work with, so choose the best that you can get, but not really sacrificing cut. For earrings you don't have to have H&A....but if you can afford it for the same price as non-H&A..I would definitely do it.

We bought our 1ctw studs at a B&M for $2400 and they are 1ctw G VS2/SI1. Cut is very good for earrings but nothing super spectacular. If I wanted to go onto one of the vendors websites that frequent this board, I could get the exact same color and clarity and size but EXCELLENT H&A cut for the SAME PRICE. Hence my strong feel to tell others to build their own. It's more personal and you get a better product for the same funds.

Good luck!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion go for high color ( G or better) and lesser clarity( SI1-2).

The color will be more evident from a distance than the clarity.

As far as AGS000, hearts and arrows, or other "premium" cuts-

I am of the opinion that a diamond cut to 60% table and 60% depth is "ideal" BUT- you will find many who disagree with me.

No question, H&A's are beautiful- but they are also between 10-20% more than a really well cut non H&A-

I'm just saying that in a blind taste test, many people would pick the 60/60- for those people spending for H&A does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results