shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in Buying an Estate/Antique Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toec

Rough_Rock
I''m in the process of buying an engagement ring and have mostly settled -- with my girlfriend''s input -- on purchasing an estate piece. I''m particularly looking for a filigree or art deco ring with an OEC or OMC diamond. I''m pretty flexible in price, and really want to find that "perfect" ring. I''ve been looking and trying to educate myself for about 3 months now but am still completely lost about how to make sure I''m getting a good deal and on what I should insist before finalizing a purchase (e.g., do I demand an independent appraisal for such a ring before making the purchase final; how much information should I have available on these rings).

For example, I''m currently considering two rings, and the following is all the information I''ve received. I like them both (though I would like a slightly larger center diamond ~ 1.3.1.5 ct), but I don''t know whether I''m getting my money''s worth.

Platinum Filigree Ring from the 1890s, 1900s
Old European Cut 1.01 ct
1.11 tw
I/SI2
$4800

Platinum Art Deco Ring from the mid-1920s
Old Miners Cut 1.10 ct
1.60 tw
F-G/SI1
$11,500

I don''t know if I''m doing this right or just not dealing with the right types of sellers. Any advice on those two rings and any general advice on antique diamonds and rings would be greatly appreciated!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Are these from the same jeweler? And, if so, did he say the stones were in the original settings? OMCs began to die out around the turn of the century so though it *could* be original to a 1920s ring, I'd be slightly skeptical.

If you're interested in them, I'd have them sent to be appraised by Dave Atlas--Oldminer on these boards. As his username implies, he's an expert on older cuts and jewelry. He would also be a good resource to track down an e-ring; I actually got my OMC from a ring his company had on consignment and he can probably put you in touch with some reputable sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results