shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I''m lost in the world of HoF, Sirrius, Canadia et. al !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moonmaeven

Rough_Rock
Hi all
1.gif

About two weeks ago, my husband said that it''s time for me to get the ring of my dreams. Hand-crafted, store-bought, whatever. I choose, he buys. I''m in heaven
9.gif

We go to countless jewelry stores... starting with Kay (Leo), Zales, Bailey Banks & Biddle (Lineage), and Longs (Veraggio, Scott Kay, etc). My husband is willing to spend between 10 & 15k on a loose diamond. I want a 1.5 - 2 CT stone. After our first few trips, I thought that I knew what I wanted... a "F, SI1". At BB & B, I could actually get a 2CT stone for $15.9k, or a 1.5CT for 11k.

As I''ve always had good luck with my online purchases, I decided to take a look around to see what I could find on the internet. I spent the better part of today being confused by websites all telling me that their diamond has the "perfect cut" or "less leakage than X-brand", etc. I feel as though I''m back to square one again.

What''s most confusing to me, is that I''m being told that these "perfect" stones can be bought at a lower quality level, and still look just as pretty. For example, one HoF retailer suggested that instead of buying "F, SI1", that I get an "I, SI1", and it would look exactly the same. One even went so far as to tell me that "not only is there ''no leakage at all'', but that a "J" colouration will look just as good as ''F'', and quite possibly even ''E''. " Is this true?!?!

I don''t need a "brand-name" stone to be happy. I just want as much sparkle as 1.5 - 2CT''s can bring to my finger
1.gif
Although granted, I think it would be cool to have a polar bear, or maple leaf, or hearts inscribed on the girdle... I don''t want to pay for that.... I''m never going to see it!

I''d really appreciate some advice on what to do.

Thanks,
Stacy

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 6/18/2003 11:33:40 PM moonmaeven wrote:

What's most confusing to me, is that I'm being told that these "perfect" stones can be bought at a lower quality level, and still look just as pretty. For example, one HoF retailer suggested that instead of buying "F, SI1", that I get an "I, SI1", and it would look exactly the same. One even went so far as to tell me that "not only is there 'no leakage at all', but that a "J" colouration will look just as good as 'F', and quite possibly even 'E'. " Is this true?!?!

I don't need a "brand-name" stone to be happy. I just want as much sparkle as 1.5 - 2CT's can bring to my finger
1.gif
Although granted, I think it would be cool to have a polar bear, or maple leaf, or hearts inscribed on the girdle... I don't want to pay for that.... I'm never going to see it!

I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do.

Thanks,
Stacy
----------------
Hi Moonmaeven:

To address your 1st question concerning purchasing stones at a lower quality. What I think the vendor was trying to tell you is that an ideal cut stone which is cut to maximize light return will shine just as bright as a stone which has a lower color grade which is also cut to ideal proportions.

When you look at the color scale for diamonds Most people who are not in the trade might prefer a lower color. A "G" or an "H" color is still in the range of being classified as being White. When you start working your way down the color scale you begin to notice subtle differences. Most people view a diamond as it is set in a ring which is face up. Face up a stone which is cut to ideal proportions will look better than a poorly cut stone which falls in the same color grade. For example a poorly cut 1 carat H stone will not stand a chance against a 1 carat "H" stone which is cut to ideal proportions. The stone which is cut to ideal proportions will look bigger and shine brighter.
16.gif

Other vendors and professionals in the trade will tell you that all diamonds leak light. So I think the salesperson telling you this is marketing that particular brand because it is in their best interest. The statement is false though/ A stone which is cut to ideal proportions such as a "HOF" will have less light leakage, but will still have leakage, All diamonds do.

You seem like you have a very sensible approach to what many times is a very confunsing purchase for someone who lacks the knowledge and experience to make the right choice. You are in the right place posting here though and will get many opinions on your questions.

My suggestions are even though you are excited about making a purchase, Shop around, Your right you don't neccessarily need to go with a Brand, but many brands and vendors such as Eightstar, SuperBCErt, Hof and A Cut Above Have stones which exhibit some of the best cut qualities available on the market Today. With your budget you should have no problem finding a stone in the range your looking for. I have Purchased from Jonathan (GoodoldGold), (Eightstar), and A Cut Above and their diamonds are beautiful. Jonathan who is very informative and helpful was one of the best and first experiences I had on the web. Check out his site for some education. Niceice.com has a great informative sight also.

It helps to decide First what kind of cut you want. If you want the best which seems you do in your description that's great.

Decide what color you would like to lean towards. A good medium is a "G" or "H". Jewlers and people in the industry might notice the subtle color on inspection but in reality no one will probably know the difference because the tint of color is subtle.

Clarity: I reccommend going with Either VS1/vs2/s-1. All 3 categories bring the price of a stone down considerably and you will not be able to see the inclusions unless your viewing them under the scope. The exceptions are for the si-1's though. When you venture into that realm make sure you stress to the vendor that you want an absolute eye clean stone. Some si-1 are better than others.

Hope this helps a little and glad to see you came here...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

moonmaeven

Rough_Rock
Ok... so using the terms on DirtCheapDiamonds for the quality of the cut, are these relatively equal (assuming both SI1 are eye-clear), or would there be a reason to choose one over the other?

"H, SI1, Very Good Cut, VG polish & symmetry"

OR

"G, SI1, Best Cut, EX polish & symmetry"

Thanks,
Stacy

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If you haven't yet, read the tutorials here on Pricescope and on www.goodoldgold.com. It should help answer your questions and start clarifying some of the issues you're wrestling with.

moonmaeven

Rough_Rock
I've printed out all of the tutorials and have sat down to read them more closely.

I think I've found one that I really like. I'll have to call and chat with them to see just what the colour is really like. It will be set in platinum, so it should be ok, and it says that it's free of visible inclusions.

Details:

2.05 ct
I, SI1
Cost: $13.6k

Plugging the details into the Holloway Cut Advisor on Pricescope, it gave me the following results:

Light return: Exc.
Fire: Exc.
Scintillation: Exc.
Spread: VG
Total visual performance: 1.6/Exc.

How does this sound? I'm trying not to jump at the first "perfect" one I find, although from the pictures, this is a beautiful stone
love.gif

Thanks,
Stacy

(ps... it's a hearts & arrows cut, too!)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
From the limited info you gave, it sounds lovely. May I ask who the seller is? That may make a huge difference in how trustworthy his/her opinions are if you ask if it's truly eye-clean, really faces up white, etc.

moonmaeven

Rough_Rock
I found it on GoodOldGold's website while I was looking through their tutorials.

I found a couple of nice ones on DirtCheapDiamonds, too, but this one really struck me as being extra pretty
1.gif

I really liked all of the detail that they gave, as well. I can take it all home to read, and sit down and go through the tutorials, and compare it to what information on the specific stone that I'm interested in.

S
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh well, Jonathan and his cohorts know their stones like nobody's business, so I wouldn't have a problem trusting their judgment.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Again Moon maeven:

It might be a good idea to contact Jonathan. He is very helpful and friendly and will give you the down low on exactly how the I si-1 stone your looking into performs. He doesn't pressure you and if you cant find a stone you like with him (which I highly doubt) he will help head you in the right direction for a particular stone you have in mind.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results