shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm a little obsessed...

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I've fallen under alexandrite's magical spell and am a bit obsessed with finding one to call my own. I am a total alexandrite neophyte though. What do you think of this one I found? I'm thinking of resetting it in platinum...maybe with a couple of diamonds flanking it as an over-the-hill present to myself for my birthday. Thoughts?

il_336.jpg

il_337.jpg

I hardly ever find an alexandrite pretty on photo. The two I have seen in person were soso-lala at best, though expensive. I don't know why this gem is so costly.
There must be something I miss.
Kiliamitra, the stone in question here, seems to have a window? Also, one would need more data, price and weight, for any judgement.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
It's not overwhelmingly expensive. The stone is just shy of .80 and it is priced pretty reasonably at around $650 in the setting shown in the photos.

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
normanintheskywithsapphires|1478082513|4092899 said:
I hardly ever find an alexandrite pretty on photo. The two I have seen in person were soso-lala at best, though expensive. I don't know why this gem is so costly.
There must be something I miss.

Alexandrite, to me, is so magical and fun. My engagement ring is a purple oval sapphire with alexandrite halo. That blue-green color is so beautiful, but I know it will change throughout the day (and lighting). Something about that color change is so alluring. I have another ruby/paraiba/sapphire ring, but it always looks the same. It's beautiful, and certainly not a let-down, but not surprising. The alexandrite will change depending on the light, so far:

Daylight: Blue-Green (stoplight green)
Fluorescent light: Lime green
Candlelight: Purple/Pinkish-Purple (I have Indian alexandrite, supposedly more known for it's daylight color than the incandescent color)
Mixed light: Almost a steel-blue/gray (each stone in the halo is a 2mm round, so the colors appear mixed)
Black light: it brightly glows a fluorescent cherry red!

Bonus round!
Photos: sleepy greyish green
Sunglasses on: This one eludes my memory, but definitely another alteration, I want to say it makes the alex look grey.

The color change is so interesting.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Here's another photo...

il_338.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its really a personal choice. I would save my money as the colorways are not my favorite and the window would bother me...

Have you checked out Multicolour.com? They have the best inventory of alex, imo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1478119272|4093035 said:
Its really a personal choice. I would save my money as the colorways are not my favorite and the window would bother me...

Have you checked out Multicolour.com? They have the best inventory of alex, imo.

I agree with minous, but it's definitely a personal preference. Multicoulor.com also has a fine jewelry partner/associated website: davidwein.com which I think is owned by the owner of multicoulor (although I could be wrong). He often has really nice alex rings that are already made (so you dont need to find a stone that fits a stock mounting or deal w. custom making something). I don't know your budget, but if you are interestd in an alex w. diamonds flanking it here are some options:

http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00111669/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00111300/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

Here's another option with a heart shaped stone (so you get a larger stone for the price since heart shapes aren't super popular)
http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00110877/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1478120049|4093040 said:
minousbijoux|1478119272|4093035 said:

I agree with minous, but it's definitely a personal preference. Multicoulor.com also has a fine jewelry partner/associated website: davidwein.com which I think is owned by the owner of multicoulor (although I could be wrong). He often has really nice alex rings that are already made (so you dont need to find a stone that fits a stock mounting or deal w. custom making something). I don't know your budget, but if you are interestd in an alex w. diamonds flanking it here are some options:

http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00111669/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00111300/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

Here's another option with a heart shaped stone (so you get a larger stone for the price since heart shapes aren't super popular)
http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-white-diamond-and-white-gold-ring-00110877/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0

You are not wrong!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the insight minousbijoux and lovedogs. I really appreciate it. I like the colors in this stone but I am a little bothered by the window in it. I'm a sucker for a cushion cut. Leave it to me to try to find a rare cut in a rare stone without breaking the bank, lol. Budget isn't fixed, but I'm in the planning stages of a 5year anniversary diamond (2.5k oval surrounded by 24 diamonds in a halo and on the band) so anything super major I divert to an Alex is going to push my diamond back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results