shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying this ring

voce

Ideal_Rock
My daughter has this big antique pendant with 20+ carats of purple something and we are following your thread with a great interest. 11''.jpg 11''''''.jpg 12'''.jpg

The first pic doesn't really show a fluorescence. It shows a filtered reflection of the high-powered torchlight.

It looks like a fantasy cut in the last picture, so I would say amethyst.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
The first pic doesn't really show a fluorescence. It shows a filtered reflection of the high-powered torchlight.

It looks like a fantasy cut in the last picture, so I would say amethyst.

Thank you Voce! A friend of mine who knows amethysts well said the same (he too saw only pictures).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Kitten35 im so happy you have been wearing the ring
i still really love it !
to me it doesn't matter its synthetic but i totally get it would be nice to know some history, no matter how she came of it.
it was still grandma's and its cool your wearing it
look forward to see what might happen next !

my mum only went on 2 cruises and just brought some inexpensive turquoise and tiger eye bead necklases so my sister wasn't intetested (because they wern't worth anything)
but i have just as much enjoyment wearing those as my grandma's diamond ER

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My daughter has this big antique pendant with 20+ carats of purple something and we are following your thread with a great interest. 11''.jpg 11''''''.jpg 12'''.jpg

Ohhh, love this cut, what a beautiful piece.
RavensteinGemCo cuts gems with this design, superb.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is a cool pendant! Thanks for the thoughts. It’s fine if we need this moved now that it has turned out very likely synthetic. I do remember reading that purple spinel is difficult to reproduce and was less likely to be synthetic. That is why i asked if it could be corundrum also.

@voce where can I find more information on Flour, in general? I can’t find anything conclusive really online. Is there a reliable book on gemstones? The flour is so cool. My red spinel glows and I discovered three of my e ring pave stones are wildly blue!

@Daisys and Diamonds no worries. Even though it turned out that it is probably synthetic, it is still meaningful because it was hers and the ring Daniel M made is lovely. I have some ither jewelry that while natural, isnt worth a ton. I enjoy wearing it also. It is not always practical to wear my nice stones. It was more just curiosity on my end wanting to know what it was and if it was natural or synthetic, especially as it had *some* small inclusions so it could have been either.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
There isn't a book on fluorescence in particular. I know what I know from asking vendors questions and gemstonemagnetism.com, which isn't particularly about fluorescence, but has some photos showing you what it looks like for various gems.

Also, if you are willing to go above and beyond, I recommend 3.091 from MIT Open Courseware; the topic is Solid State Chemistry (it's an intro materials science class), and the subsection to focus on is crystalline materials. The lecturer likely teaches using examples of silicon doping to make electronics, but the lessons learned from that also apply to impurities in gem crystals. Fluorescence has a lot to do with the band gap potential, from a nerdy perspective.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results