shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying my brooch

Hejo58

Rough_Rock
I inherited this 14k marked brooch many years ago and I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about it to include age. I carefully took a red hot pin to the shell cameo and it did not melt or show any marks. I'm thinking it may be ivory. It appears to be a large brooch.
Being out on disability I'm considering listing it for sale at a fair price. An estimate on it's value would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Daisy
Photos here, http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24839451

414252467.jpg

414252474.jpg

414252468.jpg

414252473.jpg

L

lydial

Hi! I am not qualified to give advice regarding value, but my understanding is that conch shell cameos typically have an origin in Italy. I took mine (sterling silver with marcasite) recently to antiques roadshow, and was told it was about 100 years old and not worth more that $100 - probably better to just keep it :) Wear and enjoy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I am not qualified to give advice regarding value, but my understanding is that conch shell cameos typically have an origin in Italy. I took mine (sterling silver with marcasite) recently to antiques roadshow, and was told it was about 100 years old and not worth more that $100 - probably better to just keep it :) Wear and enjoy!
Oooh!! Antiques Roadshow! Did you have fun? I volunteered to work the show when they came to my hometown several years ago---I worked at the Pottery and Porcelain table. It was a blast!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very beautiful cameo. The carving is well done and she has a pretty face, which is important.
It is not ivory, but entirely carved from shell.
Because of the large size and 14k, I would say $250-$350

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Which jewelry appraiser looked at it? I talked to many of the appraisers and they were all so nice and friendly.

L

lydial

Stunning! Which jewelry appraiser looked at it? I talked to many of the appraisers and they were all so nice and friendly.
I didn’t get her name. Young-ish blond woman...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D0BDA08B-14B8-4F51-AE84-F21896FB8124.jpeg
But Nico appraised my lithograph!
Yay! He appraised mine, too! $600-$900!
But I didn't get a picture with him.....this was in 2014.
I did get a photo with Wes Cowan, Leigh Keno and Ken Farmer
20140719_073042.jpg 20140719_194658.jpg

Last edited:
L

lydial

Somewhere in my non-digital photos I think I have a photo with the Kenos from the Philadelphia Antique show, circa 1998. Huge fan!!!

Hejo58

Rough_Rock
Love watching the Antiques Roadshow on the tube.

I did get out today and took the brooch to a gold buyer which wanted to pull the shell out and pay for gold scrap. He did say I was looking at around $300 give or take. But I felt that would ruin or destroy the brooch so I said no.
A jewelry store had a few smaller 14k brooches on the shelf and they loved my brooch and offered $450. But I took it back home just so I can think about it. I honestly would not wear it. Not sure what I'll do with it.

Thanks to all for your comments. I really do appreciate your help. :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did get out today and took the brooch to a gold buyer which wanted to pull the shell out and pay for gold scrap. He did say I was looking at around $300 give or take. But I felt that would ruin or destroy the brooch so I said no.
A jewelry store had a few smaller 14k brooches on the shelf and they loved my brooch and offered $450. But I took it back home just so I can think about it. I honestly would not wear it. Not sure what I'll do with it.

Wow, $450 is good! I would rather sell to the jewelry store. At least they would keep it whole and not scrap it. And hopefully it would go to a collector who would appreciate it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! He appraised mine, too! $600-$900!
But I didn't get a picture with him.....this was in 2014.
I did get a photo with Wes Cowan, Leigh Keno and Ken Farmer
20140719_073042.jpg 20140719_194658.jpg
no Fiona Bruce ?
im thinking this must be the American one
im still very impressed though

L

lydial

Try putting it on a chain and wearing it as a necklace. I wear mine fairly often and I get a lot of compliments on it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results