shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying era of ring

jcoor

Rough_Rock
My mother passed this ring on to me and I’m wondering what era it might be from. It was my great grandmother’s ring (1904-1965) but we’re not sure when or how she got it. There aren’t any markings inside the band. It seems to be made mostly of gold with a silver setting. The stone is a rose cut diamond in kind of a pear shape.
Any help would be much appreciated!

5950EEE5-C2A3-4ACB-8696-2585FB8DE2A3.jpeg 35D1E318-3FED-4651-B28D-B2C3B9DD2459.jpeg E18EBD61-BC9D-4034-BDAE-3FB894D9BBE9.jpeg 003A68C1-8F62-4586-B177-2C36833B0BF7.jpeg 52417431-C712-4960-BF4E-6F7B30FEC481.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Silver on gold, rosecut diamond, that setting. ..I would guess Georgian. Cherish that baby!! Lucky you!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a glance I could see why someone would say it’s Georgian. My guess is mid 20th century Georgian revival for the following reasons:
  • The facets of the rose cut diamond are relatively symmetrical. Georgian rose cuts were a lot more rustic.
  • The setting is made to look like a collet, but it’s not actually. The diamond is held in place by prongs and the girdle is exposed. In a true Georgian piece, the silver would extend over the girdle and partway up the crown. In addition, the silver would be cut down to give the appearance of prongs but they would not be shaped into claws. Those prongs were also decorative and did not actually hold the diamond in place.
  • The setting has an open back. Georgian collet settings are closed back, and the diamond would be foiled as well.
It’s a charming ring regardless!

jcoor

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I was also leaning toward replica but it’s confusing trying to research online. I appreciate the response!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Whatever age it is, its stunning and has this antique charm about it! If you ever decide to sell this sweet little ring for whatever reason, please sign me up first (:

The juxtaposition of the weathered setting with a nice clear rosie is just lovely! Oh how I wish my grandma didnt have 3 girls and 1 boy, my father being the only boy who never got any jewelry when she passed. It sounds awfully materialistic but its more for sentimental reasons; something to remember her by. At least I have this little jewelry box that is made out of rose quartz and has painted roses on it. I found it in the storage shed that the aunts ransacked after her death and left to my father to clean up. They left it because the hinge was busted and the top lid was split in two, but I fixed it and it sits on my vanity reminding me of my "Mima".

Enjoy your sweet ring & let it be a reminder of the women in your family that have lovingly given new life to each New generation. ❤

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results