carat
color
clarity

Help Identify old Gold with odd Hallmarks

CmartinR1982

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

I buy Jewelry from people, estate,auctions, etc and sell it. I came a across this ring a week ago when I bought a bunch of jewelry from someone.I'm trying to figure out what the figure is on the front of the ring, it looks maybe like it's Asian but I'm not sure. Also, the ring is hallmarked on the outside of the back band which I never seen before (usually on the inside). I can't make out the hallmarks becuase a lot of it is faded. On the bigger square I think I see the letters GRL and below is at least 2 more lines of numbers or letters, looks like some of it might be numbers. On the smaller square it appears like it might be the Letters GL with something on top maybe like a animal or crown. It's to hard to tell for sure with the little I could see with my loop and what I can't see at all makes it even more frustrating.I'm pretty good at testing for gold and I think it's 18K or maybe 20K. The 18K acid on the stone didn't touch it and the 22K acid it faded slowly. I even put 18K acid directly on it and it didn't touch it either, then put 22K acid directly on the ring and it didn't bubble or anything the area were I put the acid turned a little dark brown which is normal when you put higher Karat acid on a gold piece that's less Karat.Sorry for the lack of clarity of the hallmark, but it's faded as it is and I had to crop it.Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

dscn6578.jpg

dscn6566.jpg

dscn6585.jpg

_19607.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results