shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ID this.Supposed to be Tourmaline. Reading Conflict

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
This is supposed to be green tourmaline. They are 10 to 22 carats. I got my first refractometer today and have been learning to use it. I get 1.54 and then 1.551 with the polarizing filter turned at 90 degrees. On my Presidium thermal tester it gets readings that go from tourmaline to quarts/ Ameth. I get dichroism when viewed through a dichrometer, of green to bluish green. The stones are green when viewed in one axis and blue/green from another.

With a Chelsea filter it is pure green.

Maybe I am just inexperienced with the refractometer. The Presidium readings give me no confidence however.

Quartz? Tourmaline? something else?

img_341.jpg

img_2381.jpg

img_342.jpg

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
One more pic

img_2383.jpg

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
If only there were a forum whose focus was Gemology. Online somewhere maybe... :D

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
RI says quartz..Presidium says quartz...think it might be quartz haha...funny how strong the wish for it to be something else wants to trump the facts sometimes I guess.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if you are using the refractometer correctly; I am inclined to toss out the presidium thermal tester as inconclusive. Dichroism points out that it is likely to be a tourmaline as I have not heard of quartz showing this characteristic. Chelsea filter is only used to check for chromium, therefore the result you see is considered inert which is normal since quartz and tourmaline do not contain any (unless it is a chrome tourmaline).

ETA
What's with the wavy lines / bands throughout all the stones?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1354208141|3318364 said:
I'm wondering if you are using the refractometer correctly; I am inclined to toss out the presidium thermal tester as inconclusive. Dichroism points out that it is likely to be a tourmaline as I have not heard of quartz showing this characteristic. Chelsea filter is only used to check for chromium, therefore the result you see is considered inert which is normal since quartz and tourmaline do not contain any (unless it is a chrome tourmaline).

ETA
What's with the wavy lines / bands throughout all the stones?

It looks like colour zoning! I was wondering about that also!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like zoning to me too. Is it more obvious because the stone is extremely large and backlit?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for information, coloured quartz can show weak dichroism.

Just noticed something else - maybe something / nothing. They cuts all look very regular and you've some quite big pieces there (or very small hands!).

Another issue to consider....... using a refractometer can take some practice and you may find it difficult to get accurate readings at the start. Also, (and forgive me for asking the question), is your refractometer a decent one or one of the cheaper variety from Ebay? It can make a difference.

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is a Chinese made refractometer from Amazon..250.00 so I think it would be considered one of the cheap ones. I noticed the lines too but they are actually more like puffs of smoke.

Yes. They are large pieces obtained here in Afghanistan. The larger stepcuts 22 carats and the smaller bars 12 ish carats.

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
After looking up color zoning more..it does look like that. Not a bad thing though right? Shows it is natural no?

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
I could try giving it a static charge right?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jksonner1|1354210558|3318398 said:
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is a Chinese made refractometer from Amazon..250.00 so I think it would be considered one of the cheap ones. I noticed the lines too but they are actually more like puffs of smoke.

Yes. They are large pieces obtained here in Afghanistan. The larger stepcuts 22 carats and the smaller bars 12 ish carats.

Ok - now I'm worried. 12-22ct Tourmalines (even if bought and faceted at source) that are virtually inclusion free would cost a reasonable amount of money - even for that colour. I'm afraid that you're in an area where synthetics are rife. Colour zoning that looks like that isn't necessarily what you would expect to see in a Tourmaline. I would urge caution here.

Before you buy anything more, please consider sending one of the larger pieces off for testing.

There was a suggestion above of another forum that may be able to ID more accurately (frequented by gemologists/lapidaries etc). If you post on there make sure you mention where you've bought them.

Hope that helps.

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
My guess is synthetic quartz. If you have an accurate scale you could get a specific gravity reading.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely getting more interesting - things aren't lining up right.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
bobsiv|1354206845|3318341 said:
If only there were a forum whose focus was Gemology. Online somewhere maybe... :D

LOL!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bobsiv|1354213057|3318457 said:
My guess is synthetic quartz. If you have an accurate scale you could get a specific gravity reading.

I was heading in that direction also (unfortunately).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wiser words have never been spoken :bigsmile: But first one has to get over the obligatory scolding of "we cannot possibly identify stones through pictures alone." Once you've diplomatically navigated your way through that, you'll get your help from this mythical forum I've heard tell about, whose focus online is Gemology... ;))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1354215216|3318496 said:

Wiser words have never been spoken :bigsmile: But first one has to get over the obligatory scolding of "we cannot possibly identify stones through pictures alone." Once you've diplomatically navigated your way through that, you'll get your help from this mythical forum I've heard tell about, whose focus online is Gemology... ;))

And wouldn't it be good if there was then a mythical sub-section all about coloured stones? ;-)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could be glass. Some of the man made glass used to cut gemstone has that wavy coloring look to it, and the RI could be in that range.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The enormous size is one tipping off factor, the second is how clean it is considering the size and the third factor is those waves.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Synthetic hydrothermal quartz. Most likely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dioptase|1354235053|3318795 said:
Synthetic hydrothermal quartz. Most likely.

Will it show the wavy lines and weak dichroism too?

Jksonner1

Rough_Rock
Think I will go with the"if it seems to good to be true..." theory.

I appreciated the input and learning points. I even appreciate the sarcastic responses that hint at being helpful...but then never come through with said fabled site.

This is a hobby for me here that fills time and takes my mind of the other things I do. So my access is limited. I learn a bit each time...even from the snobs :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, showing a little attitude, aren't we? That's one way to join a new group. Another way is to realize that we are not allowed to say the name of the other website and for you to understand that we are dropping the most ginormous clues possible to help you out. :)) However you want to construe it is up to you.

That said, if I remember correctly, I believe I've seen you over at the other site, with a similar response of the likely content of many of your stones. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. Especially at the other site, there are so many folks stationed in Afghanistan that come looking for ID of their stones...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jksonner1|1354245408|3318972 said:
I appreciated the input and learning points. I even appreciate the sarcastic responses that hint at being helpful...but then never come through with said fabled site.

If you read PS's rules, you will understand why and a quick google will point the way. Is it really that hard?

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ah, sorry if I came across as being facetious; it's easy to forget that not everyone is familiar with the forum rules here. If you do manage to find the other site (a google search should do it) be sure to mention your RI and Presidium readings so they'll take you more seriously. In general, they're very helpful and responsive to people serving overseas with questions like yours. There's also a good beginner's guide to stone ID on that site that you might find interesting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quote by LD:
There was a suggestion above of another forum that may be able to ID more accurately (frequented by gemologists/lapidaries etc). If you post on there make sure you mention where you've bought them.

I thought it was pretty easy to guess from the many other posts that we were trying to be as helpful as possible while our hands / keyboards are tied.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG everybody in this thread was trying to help you and you call us snobs!

We are NOT allowed to mention other forums on Pricescope. You were being given so much help above, pointing you in the direction of people who could help better and posters above were very close to crossing the line and then you insult us? Sorry but that stinks. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results