shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ID maker''s mark in platinum deco ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I just acquired a lovely sapphire and diamond deco ring. It is marked "PLATINUM" inside the ring along with a maker''s mark that is partially worn. It looks to me like PD or BD or RD or ??

Does anyone recognize the mark? I looked through my book of marks and could not find it.

Any leads would be much appreciated!

k9maker1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Awww, muttlover, where''s the pix of the rest of the ring????? Drooling minds want to know!!!!

(As for the hallmark, I don''t recognize it. Maybe somebody else will. Jewelerman?)

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 11:55:48 AM
Author: glitterata
Awww, muttlover, where''s the pix of the rest of the ring????? Drooling minds want to know!!!!
LOL - I guess I should know better.
1.gif

I paid a bit more for this beauty than I normally would consider, but I was just smitten by it. All of the diamonds are OEC''s - can''t say for sure about the sapphires, but I assume they are glass per the period. Most pieces I find like this have had diamonds replaced over the years, I really liked that these were all original to the piece.

k9deco1.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
A few more...

k9deco2.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock

k9deco3.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock

k9deco4.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
**THUD**

30.gif
That is gorgeous!!!! How about a handshot??

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Upgradable!
1.gif

k9decohand.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Last one!

k9decohand2.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I should also mention the stats as they were presented to me.

1.1 diamond total weight (30 point center, 4 8 pointers and 8 6 pointers)
2points on each of the 8 sapphires (the ring had been appraised in 96 and the appraisal doesn''t say the sapphires are glass?)

G/H color overall
SI1/SI2 overall

What I''m most interested in is its history - so I''m still hoping someone has clues on the maker''s mark.

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring, but I thought this thread was going to be about some Kentucky bourbon.
3.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a gorgeous, gorgeous ring! The second letter in the mark looks like it has a tail to me - could it be a Q?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, WOW. PItter pat, pitter pat, pitter pat! (That was my heart.)

That is really, really nice, whoever made it.

Where did you find it?

I don''t think the sapphires are glass--not in a high-quality ring like that. They''re either natural sapphires or synthetic (manmade) sapphires. The technology for making sapphires was developed in the 19th century, and at the time your ring was made (teens or 20s) people often used synthetic sapphires as accents. They would not have been considered inferior to natural ones at the time.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t help you ID the mark, but I did want to comment on what a GORGEOUS piece this is! Wow, so beautiful...congratulations!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Glitterata - I agree with you completely. I use glass/synthetic interchangeably sometimes which I know is incorrect. I''ll have to break myself of that! I must tell you I was at an antique shoppe today and saw a cute mourning pin and totally of thought of you!

I just noticed, that there are TINY numbers after the "D", if it is a D. I zoomed in on the pic I took and it looks like it says 505?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean with the 505. I wonder if that could be a patent mark? I don''t know much about them, but in England you see diamond-shaped hallmarks with various numbers and letters in them indicating when & where a design patent was registered, I believe--could this be one of those? Did they do that with platinum? Any actual experts out there (as opposed to amateur experts like me) willing to weigh in?

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Still hoping someone has some ideas.... anyone????

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No ideas, just chiming in that your ring is a stunner!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Just giving myself another little bump.
1.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH gorgeous! what a wonderful ring. No ideas on the hallmark, so sorry, but wanted to share in the adulation over this ring!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHhhhhhhh WOWW!!!
30.gif
30.gif
What an AMAZING piece!!!!!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I still love love love it! Wish I could be more helpful.

Out of curiosity, what size is it?

You have pretty hands & nails.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, glitter, thanks!
1.gif

I am unsure of its exact size - likely 6.75. I prefer a 7.5, but can wear a 7 in winter and it was a struggle to get this one on!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW....I''M IN LOVE!!!!
30.gif
WHAT AN AWESOME FIND!!!!

Lori

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just coming back to admire the workmanship on this ring again. So well made! So nicely balanced!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results