shape
carat
color
clarity

help? I want to sell

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jchi18

Rough_Rock
If you were going to sell your diamond, how would you go about selling it? Jewelry store? Ebay? Craigslist? We are in need of money and this is our only way. btw, we have all our papers for it. Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it depends on what it is. how much do you think you should get for it? antique/heirloom/rare?

jchi18

Rough_Rock
Just a solitare diamond. I have the papers for it. I know I won't get back what I paid but I don't even know what is the best way to sell for a lay paerson like me. How much percentage back should I be looking? 80% of what I paid? More or less?

jchi18

Rough_Rock
Yes all of those and thanks, I will look into James Allen.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Search here on PS, you will find threads on selling diamonds. Do not expect to get 80% of what you paid. Don''t even expect 50%.

You will get the most $$ if you do a private sale, but this can be time consuming and risky. Jewelers will buy or maybe accept trade ins or consignments, but you will get even less than a private sale. And of course there is ebay and pawnshops, etc. But like I said, read the threads here on PS for more detailed info.

jchi18

Rough_Rock
I appreciate everyone''s replies. I will search the threads for more info on selling.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I''d say a lot depends on what the stone is and how much you paid for it.

Certain sizes, shapes, color,clarity and cut grades are plentiful, but some are hard to find.

You say you have papers, but fail to list what the papers you have are. ( AGS/GIA/EGL report, Sarin Report, B Scope report etc.)

If you bought it on the internet from a really good seller, they may have a buy back program. If you did buy it from an internet seller who sellls premium cut goods, you got a good desireable stone, and probably paid a very competitive price for it. You could also ask the store you bought it from to offer it for sale in their store again on a consignment basis, paying the an in advance agreement for their commission based on getting the price you want for it if it is reasonable.

If you bought from a Brick and Mortar store or a big box retailer, you paid a higher markup.

Compare the characteristics with the stone you have to what''s being offered for sale on the search diamond section of the home page. This will provide you with a basic "guide" as to what comparable stones are selling for.

Not being a jeweler and selling it yourself, you''d most likely get offered less than what it is currently selling for. But if you are able to find someone who wants that particular kind of stone, 10-25% less than the current selling price should be both a reasonable price for you, as well as a bargain for an interested buyer.

Try to get a photo of it that is good, make up a flyer and post it at work. List it on ebay or Craigslist, and discuss putting it on consignment with a jeweler.

I am certain you can''t advertise it on the site, based on the forum rules.

Rockdoc

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi jchi18. If I were you, I would try to place the ring at a jewelry shop that does consignment. This is attractive for all parties. The jeweler doesn''t have to pay for the ring, butt still gets a piece of the sale (in my area 20-25%). Your ring is priced close to retail, maximizing what you get out of it. A buyer can hopefully trust the jeweler that the ring is what it is suppose to be.

You can also try craigslist, but be sure to be careful about sharing personal info. Meet a buyer at a jewelry shop or some other public place. There are too many desperate people out there. EBay may work if you already have a track record for selling stuff. You may need to use a 3rd party like escrow.com to give the buyer peace-of-mind.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results