shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! I need advice on a bent platinum setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sfarring

Rough_Rock
My wife''s ring was badly bent this morning.

It''s about 6 months old and platinum. I never considered it a delicate design, but I definitely am not an expert. It happened when she was playing with the dog (18 lb schnauzer). The ring got caught on his tooth and when he jumped back it bent the ring. BTW: the dog''s tooth is fine and he didn''t act like it even hurt.

Here are my main questions/concerns.
1. I realize platinum can be bent, but would have never expected this type of damage. Is this normal???
2. We did get the ring sized down by 1/2 size. Is it possible that something in the sizing process made the ring more maluable?
3. Can this ring be reliably fixed or will fixing it make it weaker?

I appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Pic_bent1.JPG

sfarring

Rough_Rock
Another picture

Pic_bent2.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately platinum is soft and can be bent. It''s your wife (or dog''s!) fault sadly.

Might be able to be fixed, but yes it is likely it would be a bit weaker as a result.

NEVER a good idea to wear rings when doing something rough like playing with a dog.

Do you have insurance?

sfarring

Rough_Rock
Last picture. Sorry the quality isn''t great, but all I had was my cell phone

pic_bent3.JPG

sfarring

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 9:58:36 AM
Author: neatfreak
Unfortunately platinum is soft and can be bent. It's your wife (or dog's!) fault sadly.

Might be able to be fixed, but yes it is likely it would be a bit weaker as a result.

NEVER a good idea to wear rings when doing something rough like playing with a dog.

Do you have insurance?

Unfortunately no, there is no insurance on this ring

Would fixing it make it enough weaker to cause concern or justify replacing the setting?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:01:48 AM
Author: sfarring
Date: 4/1/2009 9:58:36 AM

Author: neatfreak

Unfortunately platinum is soft and can be bent. It''s your wife (or dog''s!) fault sadly.

Do you have insurance?

Unfortunately no, there is no insurance on this ring

Would fixing it make it enough weaker to cause concern or justify replacing the setting?

I don''t know...only a jeweler could tell you for sure after seeing the ring. But based on how much it is bent I personally might worry about it. But I would probably get it repaired if the cost was cheap-and then just insure the ring in case it happened again.

I''m sorry you don''t have insurance-in the future it might be a good idea if your wife likes to wear her ring everywhere because it covers accidental damage and loss.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
From the pics is just the head that is bent? because if it is I am pretty sure with that style the head can just be changed out.

Would be a good idea to get insurance for the future just in case :)

ETA: Just looked at the first pic again and realised it is the whole top D'oh.

sfarring

Rough_Rock
I know it''s hard to see in the picture, but the head itself looks unbent. Most of the bending and twisting appears to be where the two baguette diamonds are mounted. Which of course, would make sense since that is the thinnest part of the ring.

I totally agree, we should have gotten it insured. We intended to, but it just kept getting put off.....I think I just paved a little more of that "road"

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Really depends on who sold you the ring--but you may be able to see if it is under some sort of store-wide warranty, or if they''d repair it for less than other places because you purchased it through them.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:52:31 AM
Author: soycoffee
Really depends on who sold you the ring--but you may be able to see if it is under some sort of store-wide warranty, or if they''d repair it for less than other places because you purchased it through them.

They might repair it for less but it''s user damage so no warranty is going to cover that unfortunately...

sfarring

Rough_Rock
I bought the ring from Union Diamond and will see what they say about repairing it, but yes I fully expect to pay for the repairs....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have it straitened then checked under high magnification for cracks by a skilled benchman.
There is a chance it will crack from the bending.
If it is cracked then either laser welding or having it redone are the only options.

sfarring

Rough_Rock
Does anyone happen to know someone they could recommend for this type of repair in Southeast Florida? Somewhere around the Sarasota Area.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 1:20:47 PM
Author: sfarring
Does anyone happen to know someone they could recommend for this type of repair in Southeast Florida? Somewhere around the Sarasota Area.
No but I know someone who would.
http://www.sarasotagemlab.com/

sfarring

Rough_Rock
That''s a great suggestion.
He appraised the ring when I first bought it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results