shape
carat
color
clarity

Help I have a dent in the prong of my brand new setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laxgirl4493

Rough_Rock
I just picked up my remount I reset my round .89 with 2 new side stones .32 each in a Lucida 3 stone style 14ktWG mounting. After a couple of hours admiring it I noticed that there was a a rough spot on 1 of the prongs. After looking at it closely with a magnifing glass I see a dent just under where the prong hugs the diamond. Im very concerned and don't know what to think why this would be there bad diamond setting, bad mount or gold ? Also I do not see anything stamped inside the ring about the gold on the inside. (I did have it resized from a 6-61/2) would that erase the gold stamp? I want to wear my ring but I'm afraid the setting is bad. HELP!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I just picked up my remount I reset my round .89 with 2 new side stones .32 each in a Lucida 3 stone style 14ktWG mounting. After a couple of hours admiring it I noticed that there was a a rough spot on 1 of the prongs. After looking at it closely with a magnifing glass I see a dent just under where the prong hugs the diamond. Im very concerned and don't know what to think why this would be there bad diamond setting, bad mount or gold ?

Most likely you are referring to a plier mark. The prongs need to placed close to the stone and the setter uses pliers to do this. This process does mar the metal - but they are supposed to be polished out. Evidently the setter didn't do this as well as he should have. Not bad work, but sloppy.
They can polish out the marking easily for you.

What is far more important is that the bearing (notches on the inside prong area) is cut properly to fit the edge of the diamond, and that the upper part of the prong is tightly against the crown of the stone. It is difficult for a consumer to know proper diamond setting work.

Also I do not see anything stamped inside the ring about the gold on the inside. (I did have it resized from a 6-61/2) would that erase the gold stamp? I want to wear my ring but I'm afraid the setting is bad. HELP!

This may or may not be a problem. There is no law requiring a seller of gold to stamp the karat fineness on the item. But... if he does, then it MUST be accompanied by his REGISTERED TRADEMARK in close proximity to the karat fineness marking. In layman's terms.... if it has a karat fineness mark - i.e. 14 k / 585 etc. it must CARRY the trademark of the person who is saying warranting the gold fineness content of the item.
Ask you seller to have the ring stamped with the trademark and karat fineness marking.

If they won't do that, then I suppose the next decision is yours. Find a merchant that does sell properly marked jewelry.

There was just a big expose about jewelers who WERE selling unkarated gold recently, and I have been involved with several exposes in the past that were on television. The consumer has no way of knowing the purity of the gold content of their ring or jewelry unless an assay is done. Assays require removing a piece of the gold and melting it and testing it. It also costs for a metalurgical lab to do this, so its is VERY easy for those on the "dark side of the force" to pull off this crime. And it is a crime to do this.

This is where being more careful about not buying price is very important. It has been my experience that the type of merchant that participates in such conduct, is saying how good their price are... like the claim "below wholesale".

There is NO BELOW WHOLESALE for consumers, in the normal course of business practices, just as much as expecting someone to work at a job for without getting paid!

Any flaunting such a claim to me is a bright red light, and smart consumers would be best advised to AVOID sellers who make such irresponsible and misleading claims.

Hope this helps.....

Rockdoc

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
laxgirl:

Was the setting from the same place as where you had the diamond set?

1. If not, did you notice anything unusual about the setting prior to having the diamond set? Was the gold content stamped in the inside?
2. If yes, did you see the setting before it was set - did you notice anything unusual?

Please keep us posted as to what transpires.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

laxgirl4493

Rough_Rock
Hi lesley, The stones and mount were all purchased and set by the same store.(Which I found from the forums with a good repution) When they sized the empty ring I didn't notice anything unusual about it. thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results